Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JP builds an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Nice job sir.

Question: I have the same float tube on a build I just did and want to put a bipod. The bipod I was looking at says it is for rail or swivel, but I just can't see from the pictures how it could mount well to that small swivel. Did your bipod mount look the same? Does it hold very well?
Thanks
Jo

user20056_pic1254_1275324910.jpg   bipod-202_a.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good looking rifle JP. I like the look of the full length hand guard and shoter barrel. That's a 20" barrel right? The low profile gas block is cool too. I think the low profile gas block and a longer hand guard, along with a sling stud and bi-pod are goint to be the next additions to my rifle. What twist barrel did you end up getting?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Jo, from the picture of that bbi-pod set up it looks like the bi-pod itself mounts to the small picatinny section and then you still have a stud so you can have a sling on the rifle. It looks like a nice setup, but may be kind of useless if you are not going to sling the rifle.

Most all of the other bi-pods I have seen mount directly to the bipod stud and they are very sturdy and easy to take on and off the rifle. It takes about thirty seconds to take one off or put it on.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #34

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Hey Jo, from the picture of that bbi-pod set up it looks like the bi-pod itself mounts to the small picatinny section and then you still have a stud so you can have a sling on the rifle. It looks like a nice setup, but may be kind of useless if you are not going to sling the rifle.

Most all of the other bi-pods I have seen mount directly to the bipod stud and they are very sturdy and easy to take on and off the rifle. It takes about thirty seconds to take one off or put it on.
Good point, this will not be a sling type carry rifle. It is 20" and chambered 6.8 so it's a heavy longer range stick. I'll look for a direct mount bipod.
Thanks

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #35

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Good point, this will not be a sling type carry rifle. It is 20" and chambered 6.8 so it's a heavy longer range stick. I'll look for a direct mount bipod.
Thanks
That stub on Jpyle's is set up for a Harris-Type bipod Jo, you might want to give them a look and see if they work for you.

JD

Old 11-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that Walmart is selling Harris bipods now, or maybe it's Stoney Point. The whole point is that you can buy a similar bipod from them for ten to fifteen dollars cheaper than you can your local gun shop. just fyi

Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #37

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Nice job sir.

Question: I have the same float tube on a build I just did and want to put a bipod. The bipod I was looking at says it is for rail or swivel, but I just can't see from the pictures how it could mount well to that small swivel. Did your bipod mount look the same? Does it hold very well?
Thanks
Jo
The bipod I have is solely for mounting to a swivel stud. It has a contoured base plate with two arms that come up through the bottom, think of a pair of tweezers. On each arm is a pin that goes into the hole in the stud, a thumb screw tighten the arms and tensions the bipod snug with the tube, it's very solid.

I am wondering if the bipod you have requires that the adapter plate be installed to the stud and then the bipod attached to the adapter itself, otherwise the weaver base would have to come off to attach directly to the stud.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Good looking rifle JP. I like the look of the full length hand guard and shoter barrel. That's a 20" barrel right? The low profile gas block is cool too. I think the low profile gas block and a longer hand guard, along with a sling stud and bi-pod are goint to be the next additions to my rifle. What twist barrel did you end up getting?
Thanks SS, I can't take any credit for the upper...bought it from some guy on the web... but I do know a quality product when I see it, right JD?

It's actually a 17" barrel, cut down from the original 20". It's a Colt A1 1:12 twist, the upper is set up for general duty use and 55-62 gr ball ammo. You know, the kind of stuff that will be lying around when TSHTF.

I'm actually planning to swap out the gas block for a railed one so I can mount a BUIS but that's for another day, right now I'm just itching to put some lead down range.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That stub on Jpyle's is set up for a Harris-Type bipod Jo, you might want to give them a look and see if they work for you.

JD
Yep, although the bipod on there now is a Winchester I picked up at Wally World for about $40...no sense in spending $100 on a bipod if you can't hit the broadside of a barn anyway.

Seriously, until I join an outdoor range the bipod I have is serviceable for 25yd shooting or I'll mostly be shooting off hand through a red dot.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Very nice looking rifle and congrats on your first build Jpyle! Ain't that feeling of "self build" accomplishment great!!

+ 1 on the tensioner pin kimberkid.
It sure is...I recommend that everyone experience it at least once...