You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

JP builds an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 03:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 783 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
bummer! I can try an go get you some and mail it to you in an envelope, cost me a whopping .44$.
Thanks SS, I need to order a few extra things anyway so I'll just add some spare springs and detents to the order. Anyway I think this hobby is like a bag of potato chips, once you start into it it's hard to stop...I'm already thinking about building another lower but using upgraded parts not from a pre-packaged kit so I'll need all the springs and smaller parts anyway.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
JP - Well I hope this fixes the problem. I am happy to hear that the pin itself appears to not be the problem, which means the upper I sent you wasn't out of spec.

I knew the thing didn't have a ton of time or rounds through it, but I honestly never thought to check if the pin holes had been worn out from constant take down and assembly.

The offer still stands, if you need anything, let me know as I want to make sure you got what you paid for.

JD
Thanks JD...like I said, the condition of the upper was never a question in my mind. I just didn't think the damn detent had vanished into thin air so I was looking at the pin as the problem.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #23

Default Woo Hoo...AR is ready for the range

Got home today and decided that I was going to find that damned detent if it killed me. After crawling around on my hands and knees for 2 hours I found the little sucker...stuck in the carpet not 2 feet from where I assembled the lower. All I can think is that I must have put it into the lower with the pin out of position to keep it from falling straight through, never heard it drop to the table or the floor. Anyway, reassembled the take down pin, screwed on the stock and shazam...she is tight as a tick. Upper and lower mate up like they were made for each other, no jiggle or sloppyness at all, finish on the RRA upper and the YHM lower are a perfect match.

Hopefully will get to the range next weekend to see how it shoots. Only a 25 yd range so I will just mount a Berska red dot I have laying around, will deal with the gas block and iron sights later on.

Thanks again to all for the assistance along the way and the offers to help out during my little missing detent problem. Special thanks to JD and his buddy for the upper and to Tango for his scope recommendations.

All up the build cost a hair under $600...add another $300 or so for sights, mags and scope...not too bad in my opinion. Pics to follow...

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-15-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3505 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is great news JP. I am looking forward to some pics and some range targets. Congrats on your first of what I am sure will become multiple SUR's.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #25

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Outstanding JP!! I've been following this thread with keen interest....now to save my pennies. I'll bet you can't wait to get her to the range!!

Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #26

JP Enterprise makes a great tensioner pin that pulls the upper and lower together instead of pushing them apart like the wedge does ...

If you really want something, you'll find a way ...
... if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

kimberkid ... the user formerly known as skydriver.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #27

Default pics pics pics

JP builds an AR - AR-15 Discussion

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-17-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #28

Here's the build so far...put on a scope from a Ruger for the pic, haven't bought the new one yet maybe I'll keep this one on it. Hope to get to the range on Saturday to test her out...

JP builds an AR - AR-15 Discussion

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-18-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3505 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is a good looking stick you have assembled sir! I look forward to hearing of your range prowess.

JD

Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #30

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Very nice looking rifle and congrats on your first build Jpyle! Ain't that feeling of "self build" accomplishment great!!

+ 1 on the tensioner pin kimberkid.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”