The Journey Begins - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Journey Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is the only one in stock:

BCM Carrier Assembly with Gas Key - Auto

Is that good - what I need?

Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #22

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

It doesn't have a bolt assembly. You need the complete $139 BCG like this:
BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

But it's out of stock again...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

son of a bitch

Not you Quentin..thanks for the replies and information. I feel like a duck out of water on this new project lol

Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #24

Yeah ML, one of the tough things about building is bringing everything together at the right time. Definitely get on their mailing list so they give you a heads up email but they could be out of stock for awhile, who knows. Any of the other brands will work of course, just get a complete BCG. You might check/google BCGs to see if anyone has some in stock, they're kinda hard to find lately for some reason.

ETA:
Ah, here you go... LMT BCG at Rainier... $135 but use the click down box to choose the FA (full auto/M16 version) The have Daniel Defense for a little more. I've done business with Rainier a few times, excellent service, super fast shipping. Uh oh, their Daniel Defense BCG is OOS.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=112

ETA:
Just noticed their house brand for $125: looks milspec but they don't come right out and say M16 or FA carrier, though that's what's in the picture. Heard it's good but no first hand experience.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2012

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-29-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Quentin - they have the LMT enhanced bcg assembly for $285 in stock. I've read some good posts on them but are they worth the extra $$?

The fail zero bcg looks tempting also

Last edited by Millerlite; 04-30-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #26

Both are an incredible waste of money I think.

______

Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Both are an incredible waste of money I think.
Tell me what you really think lol

Ok so not worth the extra $100 or so

Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #28

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If you spend $285 on a BCG I am going to buy Tango a ticket to come to your town and kick you in the damn junk until it turns black and falls off.

That is UNBELIEVABLY over-priced to the point of "how dare you?!?!?".

Sweet Jesus man, it's a bolt carrier group. It doesn't need to be specially coated or blessed by the Hand of Sir Eugene of Stoner.

A little brushy-brushy treatment with a good carbon killer and a quick spray of lubricant is all the average shooter is ever going to need.

Now, if you are kicking off 2000-3000 rounds over a weekend of 3-gun competitions? Yeah, you might want to consider an upgrade, but for the average shooter, I am with Quentin 1,000% on his statement of it being a waste of hard earned coin.

Save the money for quality mags, ammo or even better, a heads up optic like the EoTech.

JD

Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Omg I'm still laughing. That's some funny **** JD. Ok ok I like my nuts the way they are. I'm an infant to the AR. Just want to build a badass stick

Thanks for all the guidance fellas I really do appreciate it. I will post pics before my build but am moving soon so I want to start at the new house.

You sure I don't need a BCG that has been crafted by angels? Kidding

Last edited by Millerlite; 04-30-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If you spend $285 on a BCG I am going to buy Tango a ticket to come to your town and kick you in the damn junk until it turns black and falls off.

That is UNBELIEVABLY over-priced to the point of "how dare you?!?!?".

Sweet Jesus man, it's a bolt carrier group. It doesn't need to be specially coated or blessed by the Hand of Sir Eugene of Stoner.

A little brushy-brushy treatment with a good carbon killer and a quick spray of lubricant is all the average shooter is ever going to need.

Now, if you are kicking off 2000-3000 rounds over a weekend of 3-gun competitions? Yeah, you might want to consider an upgrade, but for the average shooter, I am with Quentin 1,000% on his statement of it being a waste of hard earned coin.

Save the money for quality mags, ammo or even better, a heads up optic like the EoTech.

JD
ML, that what I really think!

JD's 100% right, if you want to splurge put your extra money in a fine optic and of course lots of good mags and ammo.

The LMT FA BCG is 100% milspec and that's all you need. You can find things $15-25 cheaper but then you don't get the HP/MPI testing and proper steel and staking. If you can find BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske, Knights or Colt for $135 you have done well. I kinda think the Rainer for $125 if FA is ok and maybe Spikes but not sure. In the end it's up to you, though... if you just have to have a Fail Zero and have the money to blow well let us know how it turns out.

______