Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
What height rings should I use on a flat top for a more 'heads up' shooting style with a 1x optic. Can this be done with rings, or is it best accomplished through the use of a traditional 'carry handle' mount.
What say you, Jedi Master?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #32

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
What say you, Jedi Master?
Sorry Matt, I must have missed that one the first time around. A more heads up scope view? Can you achieve it with a rail mount? Otherwise I would say mediums would probably be the closest to the ideal height depending on your cheek weld.

This isn't something that has come up before, that I can think of, either the guys get like the ACOG or the EoTech and run with that on a rail mount if need be, or they get scope rings based on where their cheek weld is on the weapon.

We almost never put high mount rings on a flat top AR, unless the guy is going to extreme enviro's or something, Ic an't see it being practical.

What kind of height are you looking at coming up?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
New Question:

What are your thoughts about the Ruger SR 556? I was fortunate enough to be given a great tutorial today in regards to the improvements over the traditional mil-spec gas op system, that standard ARs/M16s use (leaky, dirty, gassy) in comparison to the new piston driven, chrome lined, ported gas operation system. They (Ruger) eliminate the o-rings in the bolt assembly and have accomplished a new gas op system that has a potential for reaching the reliability of an AK type.

I was sold immediately. The mechanics seem so sound, as do most Rugers, what do you think?
I like the idea behind it, but only for a close quarters, or across the street type of application. I would never get one of these for varmint shooting, or target shooting at distance because they are just not going to be as accurate as the gas system is.

They will hold Minute of Bag Guy all day long, I am sure, but for serious shooting, not ideal at all.

I have never had an AR in the shop that quit running because it was "dirty" from normal use. The only guys who need gas tubes overbored or replaced are the SWAT guys who shoot thousands of rounds on full auto.

Even the most active varmint shooters rarely, if ever, need a gas tube replaced before they need a barrel. A simple pipe cleaner a time or two a year and your AR will run just fine.

JD

Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Sorry Matt, I must have missed that one the first time around. A more heads up scope view? Can you achieve it with a rail mount? Otherwise I would say mediums would probably be the closest to the ideal height depending on your cheek weld.

This isn't something that has come up before, that I can think of, either the guys get like the ACOG or the EoTech and run with that on a rail mount if need be, or they get scope rings based on where their cheek weld is on the weapon.

We almost never put high mount rings on a flat top AR, unless the guy is going to extreme enviro's or something, Ic an't see it being practical.

What kind of height are you looking at coming up?
I'd like to keep my head as close to vertical as possible, with both eyes open. I'm looking at a rifle that would be used primarily for shots under 50 yards, with quick target acquisition and fast follow up shots. It would be on an M4gery with a 16" barrel.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #35

Probably go with a high set of rings for that then Matt. I don't like the carry handle mounted scopes, too much going on there that can come loose.

With a good set of high target style mounts, you would have them mounted nice and tight, right to the receiver and not have to worry about the handle coming loose on you.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #36

Well I assembled my very first lower and all went well and easy. Now I'm shopping for uppers. Do you think it would be better to buy an upper assembly or piece it together myself?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
Well I assembled my very first lower and all went well and easy. Now I'm shopping for uppers. Do you think it would be better to buy an upper assembly or piece it together myself?
Congrats Yogi. See. I told you it wasn't anything too difficult.

If you are this far, you should put the upper together too, it's not that hard. I would suggest having it just checked for headspace by a gunsmith prior to firing, JUST TO BE SAFE. But since you know how the lower operates, you might as well figure out the upper as well...

JD

Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Probably go with a high set of rings for that then Matt. I don't like the carry handle mounted scopes, too much going on there that can come loose.

With a good set of high target style mounts, you would have them mounted nice and tight, right to the receiver and not have to worry about the handle coming loose on you.
You could do that for an Aimpoint, but what about an EOTech?

Roger Waters

Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #39

Quote:
You could do that for an Aimpoint, but what about an EOTech?
Nah. EoTech you need a taller platform base. They make a one inch riser for sure, and I think it's a quick release ARMS type. I am sure they make taller ones, but I can't think of any at the moment.... Probably Larue Tactical, YHM or ARMS themselves....

JD

Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Nah. EoTech you need a taller platform base. They make a one inch riser for sure, and I think it's a quick release ARMS type. I am sure they make taller ones, but I can't think of any at the moment.... Probably Larue Tactical, YHM or ARMS themselves....

JD
How about a riser on top of an 'optics ready carbine' type upper?

I really like the parallax free aspect of the EOTechs, but I want it to be as quick handling as possible. I learned to patrol with my head up and eyes scanning. As such, valuable time was wasted trying to get a proper cheek weld and sight picture on the iron sights. For me, personally, to fully utilize a reflex sight, I'd need to be able to keep my head as high as possible with the weapon shouldered.

My downfall was always transitioning from 'heads up, eyes scanning' to sight picture, even when using the 0-3 aperature. If I'm building my own rifle, I'd like to fully exploit the parts on the market to tailor the rifle to my own needs.

Roger Waters