JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, it's a LR-308 from DPMS and I can hardly see any light between the upper and lower and the barrel is an 18" bull barrel. I'm just shooting regular factory ammo for the time being because I'm trying to save money to get everything to start reloading.

And I figured it wouldn't be as accurate as even a moderate bolt gun, that's why I don't wanna drop a ton of money into it. I was just wondering if there was anything relatively cheap I could do to squeeze out another 1/8 inch or so.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #22

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

1/8 of an inch is a lot to ask. That is asking a rifle that shoot .5" to shoot in the .3"s That is a big drop. When we start accurizing you are trying to reduce .01 or .001". I am not saying it can't be done but that is just asking a lot out of any rifle.

Have you tried that accu-wedge thing they sell out of the blue press?

Again I am no AR expert. Wait till I buy one first.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
1/8 of an inch is a lot to ask. That is asking a rifle that shoot .5" to shoot in the .3"s That is a big drop. When we start accurizing you are trying to reduce .01 or .001". I am not saying it can't be done but that is just asking a lot out of any rifle.

Have you tried that accu-wedge thing they sell out of the blue press?

Again I am no AR expert. Wait till I buy one first.
I know on some rifles that getting it in an 1/8 inch would be a lot, but this thing isn't that accurate, yet. Right now, most 5-shot groups are hovering just over an inch, maybe 1 1/8 or 1 1/4, with an occasional sub moa group. I know another member on here has the exact same rifle and he has shot .4 inch groups with handloads, and I don't think he's made any mods to his. I could be wrong, but I think the trigger job and upgrading to either match ammo or reloads could bring me in more than 1/8 inch. But yes, I would agree that on a lot of guns, trying to squeeze out another 1/8 inch could be asking a lot, but on this gun, I don't think it is.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I know on some rifles that getting it in an 1/8 inch would be a lot, but this thing isn't that accurate, yet. Right now, most 5-shot groups are hovering just over an inch, maybe 1 1/8 or 1 1/4, with an occasional sub moa group. I know another member on here has the exact same rifle and he has shot .4 inch groups with handloads, and I don't think he's made any mods to his. I could be wrong, but I think the trigger job and upgrading to either match ammo or reloads could bring me in more than 1/8 inch. But yes, I would agree that on a lot of guns, trying to squeeze out another 1/8 inch could be asking a lot, but on this gun, I don't think it is.

-Fred
I know my AR is ammo picky if I want it to get very accurate (repeatable) groups. You will likely see a big improvement with hand loads once you dial in the bullet and powder load your AR likes.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

-Fred
The trigger is going to make a MAJOR difference in your groups.

RL357Mag has that same rifle, but he has the two stage uber trigger and he is a reloading machine, so his groups are understandably better....

From my testing, the best length for a .308 seems to be 20" for an urban environment - but 18 inches should produce better groups.

There are a couple of gunshop tricks to make it shoot better, but we are talking money there brother....

Post some pics after the new trigger...

JD

Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The trigger is going to make a MAJOR difference in your groups.

RL357Mag has that same rifle, but he has the two stage uber trigger and he is a reloading machine, so his groups are understandably better....

From my testing, the best length for a .308 seems to be 20" for an urban environment - but 18 inches should produce better groups.

There are a couple of gunshop tricks to make it shoot better, but we are talking money there brother....

Post some pics after the new trigger...

JD
I was looking at a two stage, but went with a single stage from Timney, this one.

And RL is who I was talking about with the .4 inch groups, I didn't know he had a different trigger, but I knew he reloaded.

The new trigger should be in on Tues, and I'm going to the range either Thursday or Friday and I'll post some pics. Another thing I thought about trying is loading each round by hand instead of using the mag because I think the soft point hunting ammo I'm shooting is getting torn up during the cycle and messing up my accuracy. Think it might help?

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I was looking at a two stage, but went with a single stage from Timney, this one.
Think it might help?

-Fred
Yeah. A Timney trigger will improve your groups by a good deal. That is a GREAT, although overkill, on a trigger.

Loading one round at a time may indeed lead to a bit better groups, but I would try the trigger before you make ANY changes.

Reason being, small changes equal small groups..........Aim small and miss small....

Your groups with the Timney, and you come with Match grade Ammo on that weapon, you are going to be PLEASANTLY surprised....

If not, I will buy that weapon from you......Word!

JD

Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah. A Timney trigger will improve your groups by a good deal. That is a GREAT, although overkill, on a trigger.

Loading one round at a time may indeed lead to a bit better groups, but I would try the trigger before you make ANY changes.

Reason being, small changes equal small groups..........Aim small and miss small....

Your groups with the Timney, and you come with Match grade Ammo on that weapon, you are going to be PLEASANTLY surprised....

If not, I will buy that weapon from you......Word!

JD
What I was planning on doing was shooting a box of ammo for warm up, then shooting 4 5-shot groups using the magazine, then shoot 4 more loading the rounds by hand and see which is better. I'll post all the results when I'm done.

And I expect that trigger to tighten up my groups quite a bit. As least I would expect it to for what it costs.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

New Question:

What are your thoughts about the Ruger SR 556? I was fortunate enough to be given a great tutorial today in regards to the improvements over the traditional mil-spec gas op system, that standard ARs/M16s use (leaky, dirty, gassy) in comparison to the new piston driven, chrome lined, ported gas operation system. They (Ruger) eliminate the o-rings in the bolt assembly and have accomplished a new gas op system that has a potential for reaching the reliability of an AK type.

I was sold immediately. The mechanics seem so sound, as do most Rugers, what do you think?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #30

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Question:

I have a multifaceted question. In your opinion, what do you think is the ideal grain(s) to use for following purposes?

Plinking/Target Shooting
Personal/Perimeter Defense
SHTF/Armageddon/Rapture/Apocalypse/End of the World/Dogs and Cats Living Together Type Stuff