JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Trigger job. JD, I've seen you mention the DIY trigger job in several other threads, and I am interested in what it entails. I have a CMMG lower with a Model 1 parts kit in it, and a Bushy 20" Predator upper with a 6.5-20X Simmons scope on it (not that any of that makes a hoot for the trigger).

Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Trigger job. JD, I've seen you mention the DIY trigger job in several other threads, and I am interested in what it entails. I have a CMMG lower with a Model 1 parts kit in it, and a Bushy 20" Predator upper with a 6.5-20X Simmons scope on it (not that any of that makes a hoot for the trigger).
How do you like model 1 parts stuff? I am looking at ordering their full varmint kit to mate with my lower

Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
How do you like model 1 parts stuff? I am looking at ordering their full varmint kit to mate with my lower
I have no gripe with the Model 1 parts, the scope mount is also Model 1. It cost half what the next best option cost. Nobody is going to mistake it for a LaRue Tactical mount, but that's OK by me.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Trigger job. JD, I've seen you mention the DIY trigger job in several other threads, and I am interested in what it entails.
Russ - Good looking stick you have there. Very nice.

Do a google search on "15 minute AR trigger job".

It's quite easy and close to what we do in the shop. It is possible to do it wrong and get the weapon to double fire, which is illegal.

Because of that, I don't post this particular modification on this website out of protection for the site. I am sure you understand....

JD

Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Russ - Good looking stick you have there. Very nice.

Do a google search on "15 minute AR trigger job".

It's quite easy and close to what we do in the shop. It is possible to do it wrong and get the weapon to double fire, which is illegal.

Because of that, I don't post this particular modification on this website out of protection for the site. I am sure you understand....

JD
Thanks JD and I totally understand. In today's world where nobody is responsible for their own actions, you have to CYA.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks JD and I totally understand. In today's world where nobody is responsible for their own actions, you have to CYA.
Thanks for understanding, it's just a personal CYA deal because it can be done wrong and it can lead to legal problems, especially if you are unlucky enough to test fire it at a local club with a police officer as a shooter or range officer.

It's pretty easy to do though, just follow the directions and start small with the modifications. If two passes does it, three doesn't make it better.

JD

Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What height rings should I use on a flat top for a more 'heads up' shooting style with a 1x optic. Can this be done with rings, or is it best accomplished through the use of a traditional 'carry handle' mount.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #18

I'm trying to squeeze some more accuracy out of my AR-10 without spending too much money. It's already got a free floated hand guard and I just ordered a new trigger from Timney. Would I benefit from lapping the lugs, and if so, do you start with 400 then move up to 600, or would either one work? Does smoking the lugs like Tango did work as well as the dye for checking contact points? And where can I get said lapping compound? Also, is there anything else that can be done to squeeze any more accuracy without spending a ton of money? Thanks for any and all info.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #19

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

the smoking works but no where near as good as dykem. I am not an ar expert but I don't think lapping the lugs on ar will really do much as there is something like 8 or 10 of them.

JD Your up dude.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
JD Your up dude.
Thanks Brother!

Fred - Lapping the lugs on an AR is probably going to be an exercise that won't yield too much in the way of accuracy versus effort expended. The AR platform is quite different from a traditional boltgun, so the same things aren't as effective.

If you have an AR-10, I am going to assume that you have an upper and a lower from the same manufacturer and that the mate between them is very good.

A new trigger will definitely make a big difference. As will match grade ammo. I presume you probably have a 20" heavy barrel, possibly a little longer. If that is the case, you are already well equipped in that regard.

The AR platform is pretty simple. And it's pretty accurate, but it will never shoot with a good boltgun. The inner workings and the dynamics around the platform just don't match what a good bolt gun can do, and vice versa.