JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. So after 25 hours of reading on the internet I wound up with 2 ar stripped lowers. I just got a spikes tactical 22 upper with 18 inch lothar walther bull barrel. Hopefully I'll put that all together this week. I just read your 2 sticky posts and they were really helpful. I am trying to figure out how I want to build my 2nd ar so henceforth the questions. Once again thanks for your contributions.
Cool! Those Lothar Barrels are quite accurate. I think you will really enjoy shooting it.

As for your second lower, what purpose would the gun serve in your house? Plinker for shooting cans and such? Home defense in the event of a Space Zombie invasion? Or what?

Glad you liked the info. The goal all along was to break down some of the myths that surround the platform and get good guns in the hands of folks who want one, but might have been a bit afraid because of all the hype.

Let me know if I can help.

JD

Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #102

Your 2 threads alone were a terrific help. The 22 was for fun target plinking and maybe squirrels at a medium distance although I suspect the 22 ammo will limit the range capability of the barrel.

Based on what I have read my 2nd ar will be perimeter defense-secondary for hunting if needed when the SHTF. I figure the shotgun and pistol are for in home defense with the 2nd ar as a backup.

I'm thinking 16' mid length barrel. It sounds like a heavy barrel insures accuracy, but at a weight sacrifice. It seems like either a heavy fluted barrel or normal barrel will work for perimeter and home defense with decent hunting capabilities. Being that the gun will not be fired in auto that I won't have to worry as much about the barrel getting too hot. It sounds like chrome lining will be good for longevity and the small sacrafice for accuracy is not a factor as it is mostly used in close range and up to 200 yards. I thought I'd build this in 223/5.56.

I may build a 3rd ar with a 20 or 24 inch bull barrel and good scope as the hunting rifle. I'm not sure what type of ammo it should use. Any thoughts on these?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #103

'dodge - You are on the right track with your second build. Excellent study comprehension thus far. I am glad you have not been subjected to the usual Interwebz "over information" bug that tends to infect.

For a perimeter defense gun( out to a couple of hundred yards on man sized targets ): a 16" chrome lined, GI style barrel with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist, a free floated handguard, collapsible stock, a standard trigger (with a mild trigger tune), a low magnification heads up optic, with a set of back up iron sights would be just about ideal.

5.56/.223 will be everywhere in the event of a Space Zombie invasion, so it's a weapon that can be fed with battlefield pick ups or simple foraging. With the .22lr as backup for light hunting duties, you would be considered "well heeled".

JD

Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #104

thanks. I did forget to mention I was looking at the 1:8 twist. Definitely fold down back up sites and free float handguard.
What do you think about AR number 3 for hunting? I mentioned a 20 or 24 inch bull barrel and good scope as the hunting rifle. Or for hunting larger game is a different rifle better? I'd like to stay with ar as I will have parts and if push came to shove I could use my other ars to put something together should I break one. Someone mentioned keeping things consistent and not 20 million different guns was a good idea as one would be familiar with the few types he had.

BTW what is a 'GI' style barrel?

Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #105

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Here I go!

Based on your advice (and the facts bear out that you are right), I'm going to build my first AR this summer instead of go with a Mini-14. It will cost a bit more, but fit my needs more, as well.

My needs:
-SHTF zombie-repelling machine (so 75gr rounds will be coming out of this barrel as well as 55gr)
-Marxism-repelling machine if my votes don't make the difference
-Under $1000, including some ammo

Here is the list of items I think will fit my needs. Please let me know if a) I'm missing something important for a functional rifle, b) I'm missing something that would increase quality functionality, c) there is a cheaper option that would serve the same purpose.

LOWER:

DSA stripped lower $60 (plus FFL...I'm counting on $30) = $90
DSA ZM4 Stripped Lower Receiver - DSZM4R-D S Arms

Rock River Arms lower receiver parts kit w/ Hogue grip and 2-stage trigger $200 plus shipping = $212
Rock River Arms: RRA Mil-Spec Lower Receiver Parts Kits

DSA M4 6-position butt-stock $50
M4 Updated 6 Position Collapsible Tactical Buttstock, Black - CARM4RIB-D S Arms

UPPER:

DSA 16" Chrome-lined, 1:7 twist, A3 flat-top $325 plus shipping = $350
DSA ZM4 A3 Upper Receiver W/16" Barrel;M4 HG, A2 Flash Hider - DSZM4CBUPARKCL-D S Arms

BCM bolt carrier group $140 plus shipping = $150
BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

BCM charging handle $23
AR-15 Charging Handle

MBUS rear sight $55 plus shipping = $75
MagPul MBUS Flip-Up Rear Sight AR-15 Polymer Black - MidwayUSA

ACCESSORIES:

Magpul 30-round Maglevel Pmag $17 x2 = $34
MagPul Maglevel Pmag Magazine AR-15 223 Remington 30-Round Polymer Black - MidwayUSA

TOOLS:

Punch set $15
Model 1 AR-15 Armorer's Punch Set 7-Piece - MidwayUSA

Multitool $30
AR-Stoner Multi-Tool AR-15 Steel - MidwayUSA

Total: $1029

I'd really like to get this under $900. What could I change? What SHOULD I change?

Thanks for the input!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #106

CHL - I am not sure if this was an open post, or you were talking to me in the first part there. I am not an expert, so please don't think that I claim to be. I have access to a couple of very smart guys who have taught me a ton about the platform, so I am an apprentice, at best.

But I am always willing to help and I HATE the online personna that this weapon is hard to understand.

From your list, I see a couple of spots you can save some coin.

Since you are getting a 16" barrel, you don't need a special 2-Stage trigger. You can get great results with a stock GI trigger and goggling "the 15 minute trigger job". This is very close to what we do on budget, stock build AR's for the shop and it works great. Gives a great trigger pull and is very reliable.

The RRA, and other, 2-stage triggers are more for shooting at distance or shooting at small targets ( varminting, papershooting at multiple hundred yards, etc.) While they are nice, you don't need one on a 16" GI barrel with a foreend that is not free floated, because you won't see the accuracy it is intended to provide.

Shop around for a standard Lower Parts Kit. Nothing fancy. You don't need Ti or Chrome Moly this and special part blessed by guru that in your parts kit. Just get a good one, made in the USA and you will be fine.

You are ordering all M4 parts, from your feed ramps to your BCG. I just want to make sure you realize that this really isn't going to serve much added purpose. They may be "rated & spec'd" for M4 usage, but that doesn't mean they are going to add to performance in cyclic rate in a non M4 ( civilian ) style AR. A lot of people want the more hardcore parts, and I totally understand, just wanted to throw it out there.

I have not been converted to the PMAG variant that you are linking here. PMAG got a lot of positive press, but they also had some real world problems.

Robocop10mm had some very real, at the range, hands on problems with them and he made a thread about it. I need to see if I can find it and link it for you.

I have purchased a bunch of these for customers on a budget build with a SHTF rifle in mind. Personally, I think I have about 20 of them in both 20 round and 30 capacity and never had a problem with them feeding from rifle to rifle. Plus they are anodized steel, so they can take some abuse. Check them out and see what you think.

Ar-15 / M16 30-Rd. Mag, Magazines & Clips, After-Market Mags at Sportsman's Guide

As for your fixed tower sight on the upper and the polymer rear sight. I think you are going to regret both once you get into the weapon and shoot it a few times.

That front, fixed tower was built for the A2, with the carry handle. As such, it's flat in the damn way with a lot of optic choices that are out there today. I have removed I don't know how many in the shop from people that don't like how much the front sight obscures their field of view.

Other than that, it looks like you have definitely done some good research and have a great AR planned.

JD

Old 06-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

As for your fixed tower sight on the upper and the polymer rear sight. I think you are going to regret both once you get into the weapon and shoot it a few times.

That front, fixed tower was built for the A2, with the carry handle. As such, it's flat in the damn way with a lot of optic choices that are out there today. I have removed I don't know how many in the shop from people that don't like how much the front sight obscures their field of view.

JD
This is exactly the kind of direction I was hoping for. Let's start with the sights you commented on. It seems that all of the less-expensive uppers have the A2 gas block in front with that standard sight. But I'd love to have the MBUS in front and rear, to allow for future optics. But perhaps I ought to simply go for an upper with the rear integral sight (w/ the handle) so the front and rear will match as a system.

Then, the M4 stuff you talked about went over my head. I thought M4 was just another way of saying a 16" carbine-length. Should I be looking for different uppers/lowers that do not use M4 in the title. I, for one, am not looking for fancy anything, just reliable and completely functional. I can get tricked out on a later build with ACOG and rails and such.

Thanks, apprentice!

Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #108

For a SHTF rifle, I would recommend against the carry handle A2 and the front post site if you are not super familiar with the platform.

Because of the height of the sight alignment, it makes it very difficult to get a good cheek weld as a beginner, and as such, accuracy tends to suffer. This makes people want to start throwing money at the problem.

Back Up Iron Sights are a must for a good SHTF rifle, but they need to fold down and out of the way in my opinion. You will read all about co-witness and how it's the best option should your optics ( glass or heads up ) fail right when you are about to drill the invading hoardes.

Yeah. Well. Co witness is cool. For about the first two range trips. After that, it's annoying.

Check out Yankee Hill Machine folding sights. Great product. Great prices for the quality of the material.

As for the "M4" designation: Yes, it does refer to the carbine sized model, but it also refers to the model that first fully automatic. Something you don't have access to without a Class III check, a tax stamp and about $20K in the civilian world.

The parts that you are looking at for your weapon, with M4 style feed ramps and M4 rated Bolt Carrier Group, are built to be able to be dropped into those fully automatic weapons and work as intended.

I believe M4 feed ramps are a bit wider than normal and are built to sustain fast feeding and firing.

There are so many makers anymore, so I don't know, but back a few years ago, M4 stuff was about 20% more expensive.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #109

I'm feeling out in the weeds again. If flip-up sights are a great way to go, then one would need a 2-rail gas block, right? That way a flip-up front sight could mount to it.

That would mean I'll have to keep looking for an appropriate flattop with 2-rail gas block or build the upper from parts.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #110

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
then one would need a 2-rail gas block, right?
Nope. the first rail on the Gas block is an upward facing one. Two rails are One Upward and one downward.
Or you can just get a flip up front sight, with the YHM flip-up running approximately 80.
That's what I'm going to be running on my 20 Incher.