JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default JD's "Personalized Advice on My AR" Thread

Okay, so what qualifies me to help spend your money??

Not a damn thing really. I have no Colt Armorer's certificate. I don't work at DPMS or Bushmaster. I only have three of my own.

But, I have worked part time in a gun shop for about 5 years now and I have done a lot of AR assembly. I have worked on about 90 or 100 AR's in that time. Everything from ground up builds to parts mods, and even a couple of post shooting inspections.

I AM NO EXPERT. I don't claim to be, and I never have. Nothing I say can make you win competition and nothing gleaned here is going to get you past the Space Zombies without a lot of practice, trial and error.

I have posted a lot of information in these AR threads, but the one thing that keeps coming up, is that people want a personalized answer about THEIR SPECIFIC AR.

Okay.

Here's the thread:

You ask the questions, and I, with the help of my Master 'Smith, Slowrdy45 and a handle of great guys, will try to help give you personalized answers that you can do more research on, or purchase outright to get your weapon platform up to your needs.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of the AR Platform and all it's little secrets.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Ok JD. I have a Rock River flat top carbine upper (chrome lined, 1/9 twist, 5.56 chamber) mounted on a C3 Defense billet lower fitted with a Rock River parts kit. For optics, it has a Trijicon ACOG and I also have a detachable carry handle with iron sights. For mags, I have Magpul Pmags. Just bought a case of 62 gr brass cased FMJ.

The question for you is - will this be an effective weapon when the zombies (or liberals) attack? We all know it's coming and I want to be prepared.

Seriously, i've heard that 62 gr is about as heavy a bullet that will stabilize from a 1/9 twist barrel - true?

Last edited by NGIB; 09-30-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #3

Yeah, that 62 grain will stabilize pretty good, it's not ideal, but it should be fine. I have heard of people shooting the 75 grain in the 1:9 twist effectively, but I highly doubt they are shooting it for dime sized groups.

I prefer the 1:8 because it gives a much wider range of ammo you can shoot through it.

I think the AR platform is the right choice for urban type zombie fighting and will treat you right. Ammo everywhere and the weapon is easy to maintain and keep clean yourself.

Pick up a .22lr conversion and you have a nice little small game killer without all the noise - because as we have seen the Zombies like the noise....

Old 10-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright JD, I just built lower half (stag) for my AR and I have a complete del-ton A3 upper, chromelined and chambered in 5.56 coming. I want to be able to shoot this build as much as I can, as 5.56/.223 is too expensive to just go out and have fun plinking rounds with my buds (budjet). What do you think about a CMMG .22 lr conversion kit? Is this a good kit? Are their better ones? Should I just save up and get a dedicated upper? And another question, it may seem rather trivial but what kind of sling should I get? Single point? I am brand new so I have no idea really what I should be looking for or what each type of sling will do for me. Let me know. Thanks JD really appriciate it.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Not a damn thing really. I have no Colt Armorer's certificate. I don't work at DPMS or Bushmaster. I only have three of my own.

But, I have worked part time in a gun shop for about 5 years now and I have done a lot of AR assembly. I have worked on about 90 or 100 AR's in that time. Everything from ground up builds to parts mods, and even a couple of post shooting inspections.

I AM NO EXPERT. I don't claim to be, and I never have. Nothing I say can make you win competition and nothing gleaned here is going to get you past the Space Zombies without a lot of practice, trial and error.

I have posted a lot of information in these AR threads, but the one thing that keeps coming up, is that people want a personalized answer about THEIR SPECIFIC AR.

Okay.

Here's the thread:

You ask the questions, and I, with the help of my Master 'Smith, Slowrdy45 and a handle of great guys, will try to help give you personalized answers that you can do more research on, or purchase outright to get your weapon platform up to your needs.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of the AR Platform and all it's little secrets.

JD
good thread JD
i'll be peaking in here every once in a while as well

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
Alright JD, I just built lower half (stag) for my AR and I have a complete del-ton A3 upper, chromelined and chambered in 5.56 coming. I want to be able to shoot this build as much as I can, as 5.56/.223 is too expensive to just go out and have fun plinking rounds with my buds (budjet). What do you think about a CMMG .22 lr conversion kit? Is this a good kit? Are their better ones? Should I just save up and get a dedicated upper? And another question, it may seem rather trivial but what kind of sling should I get? Single point? I am brand new so I have no idea really what I should be looking for or what each type of sling will do for me. Let me know. Thanks JD really appriciate it.
2hot - Glad to be of help here.

The CMMG .22lr conversion is a very good kit. I don't know of anyone that has had anything bad to say about it.

I recently ordered a kit from one of our supporters here, Michigana, and will be posting a review when it gets here.

Shooting a .22 out of the 5.56 is fine, you won't harm the barrel, especially since you have the chrome lined one.

It won't lead to the best of accuracy, as attested to by my good friend stalkingbear here on the forum.

I believe the difference in the diameter of the bullet is only .001" but you will see a difference in accuracy.

Should be fine as long as you are not trying to compete with it.

Keep us up to date on your progress and post some pictures as you go if you can.

JD

Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Because you are smarter than me on this subject lol. Today I started my AR build by buying a Charles Daly lower receiver. I am wondering who, in your opinion makes the best/ highest quality lower receiver parts. I am a huge newb right now, but I have no problem with spending money and taking my time.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #8

JD,

I built an AR15 that is almost identical to the one I carried in Iraq. It has the flat top upper and a knock-off Aimpoint copy.

The problem is the Knights Armament Rails we used cost $350 plus in the civilian market.

I found one that was made for airsoft at KAC Knights Armament Style RIS Rail Handguard

I was wondering if that would still be sexy, or if I would get laughed at?

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 10-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
Because you are smarter than me on this subject lol. Today I started my AR build by buying a Charles Daly lower receiver. I am wondering who, in your opinion makes the best/ highest quality lower receiver parts. I am a huge newb right now, but I have no problem with spending money and taking my time.
Welcome yogibear. Did you sell all your stolen picnic baskets to fund this build?

For the most part, any complete lower parts kit you get, is going to treat you right. The best kit, in my opinion is the Rock River Arms, because they really good stuff, they stand behind it and I have installed, probably, 2 or 3 dozen of them without issues.

The market has gotten a lot better, and companies have caught up with production, so odds are good that if you find a lower parts kit in stock, it's a good one.

You can personalize the pistol grips, so don't get hung up on that. That is one screw to change out and you don't have to take anything else apart.

I am pretty sure the Charles Daly lowers take the small parts kits ( the large parts kits are labeled Colt Pin set and measure .173 ) so don't buy one that is labeled for large pin AR's.

Really easy to assemble. After you do your first one, you should have a great understanding of how the weapon functions.

PM if you run into trouble. Otherwise, take some pictures and post up your progress.

JD

Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
JD,

I found one that was made for airsoft at KAC Knights Armament Style RIS Rail Handguard

I was wondering if that would still be sexy, or if I would get laughed at?
I don't think it will mate up to be honest to you. And yes, I would definitely laugh at you...

Try These and see what you think. Great company. Great product. Great price with a sale on now.