JD Machine Tech
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > JD Machine Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10691

Default JD Machine Tech

Any of you have opinions on JD Machine Tech of San Diego? Saw them at the gun show and liked what I saw. Decent price for a stripped lower, $119 plus $45 DROS and transfer fees. I like that they are made in CA, might make things slightly easier if there is any issue with LE in the future. I didn't see anything bad when I searched the name but thought I would ask directly.

This is my first AR, mainly just for range shooting and that sort of thing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1002 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

JD Machine is an excellent company, real professionals. I have one of their lowers (rollmarked Valkyrie Arms actually) and it's fully milspec and nicely finished. Has very nice flared magwell, as good as any I've seen. With a name like Vikingdad you might want to look for the run of Valkyries they did. Valkyrie Arms is out of Milpitas, CA.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #3

I have looked at Valkryie but never went in to the store and their website is still under construction so they don't have their products page up yet. I was unaware that they carried re-branded JD stuff. I do like the name though but I'd rather buy from the manufacturer.

I was also very interested in Franklin Armories but when I inquired several times about prices and availability at a local gun store that I frequent (Kerley's in Cupertino CA) they never got back to me. I even spoke to the owner twice about it but never got a call back. Oh well. I had the money in hand and had been asking there several times about them to no avail. I have also bought two guns there in the past couple of months so it is not as though I am not going to make a purchase. Their loss.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #4

Though I haven't seen a JD Machine lower first hand I bet you'd be pleased with the workmanship. No reason to expect it would be any less than my rebadged Valkyrie.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #5

Thought I'd drop in some decent resolution pics of what you can expect from JD Machine...

Valkyrie left

Valkyrie right

______

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #6

I just had to re-read what I originally posted. I did buy the stripped lower, I liked what I saw at the gun show and talked with Eric from JD. They also have a custom roll-mark with the Calguns logo on it, but that was $30 more, and as I said I am not hung up on that sort of thing. There were other deals to be had there but for the price I figured it was a good deal. I will find out this week when I can pick it up.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Aaaaa the joys of the 10 day cooling off period.....grats on the lower! You don't have to go to San Diego to pick it up do you?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #8

Nope, there was a vendor that does the transfer and DROS just up the isle and they are located in Fremont not far from me. They have to wait until they have the lower in possession before the clock starts ticking. I guess with all the transfers I have to make an appointment to pick up. As long as I don't have to stand in a line forever that's OK with me.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I just had to re-read what I originally posted. I did buy the stripped lower, I liked what I saw at the gun show and talked with Eric from JD. They also have a custom roll-mark with the Calguns logo on it, but that was $30 more, and as I said I am not hung up on that sort of thing. There were other deals to be had there but for the price I figured it was a good deal. I will find out this week when I can pick it up.
Ah so you already bought it. I saw the prices but you can read that post either way. Anyway I think you'll love the lower, I would expect the only difference from mine is the rollmark, the quality should be the same.

______

Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #10

Yeah, it seems to be very high quality, especially considering the price. Been wanting one for quite some time and finally "pulled the trigger".