Jams with Wolf - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Jams with Wolf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19

I just choose to shoot brass. I'm getting american eagle for cheaper anyway.
What price are you getting on american eagle? I just got 2000rds of Tula for $400. Where are you getting your ammo from?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #32

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

I'm getting from walmart for $5.97 a box. Brown bear and tulla are $6.50.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had similar problems with my AR and wolf ammo. This is not the only ammo that jams but is definitely the worst offender. It jams all the time. I built my AR from a Del-ton upper kit and a JD lower. I bought a one of the more expensive kits and I only use pmags. I had some friends check it out and it is definitely assembled correctly. I keep it clean with CLP and Hoppes. I don't know what the problem is but I definitely would not trust my life to this weapon. If I keep shooting it with top dollar ammo will it eventually break in? Probably only have 200rds through the thing. I like the AR platform but it's such a drag when it jams. I bought a nice Bulgarian AK-47 just to have something reliable to shoot at the range.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Both of you need to have your chambers checked. I have multiple ARs that are on a healthy diet of Russian ammo. More proof ARs are not created equal with exceptions of course.

People need to trouble shoot before posting that a particular ammo is crap. If you don't even know what buffer you are running do you know enough to make such claims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1193 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I'm getting from walmart for $5.97 a box. Brown bear and tulla are $6.50.
I'd shop around more, you can find sales on Tula, etc. for $4-4.50.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrause2010
I have had similar problems with my AR and wolf ammo. This is not the only ammo that jams but is definitely the worst offender. It jams all the time. I built my AR from a Del-ton upper kit and a JD lower. I bought a one of the more expensive kits and I only use pmags. I had some friends check it out and it is definitely assembled correctly. I keep it clean with CLP and Hoppes. I don't know what the problem is but I definitely would not trust my life to this weapon. If I keep shooting it with top dollar ammo will it eventually break in? Probably only have 200rds through the thing. I like the AR platform but it's such a drag when it jams. I bought a nice Bulgarian AK-47 just to have something reliable to shoot at the range.
Sell it and get a more trusted AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrause2010 View Post
You might want to try your upper on a friend's lower as a test, especially if they have a lighter buffer. If no improvement which I doubt there will be, I would be all over Del-Ton to get this corrected. You may have to send back the upper but at least get it fixed in the long run.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

You might want to try your upper on a friend's lower as a test, especially if they have a lighter buffer. If no improvement which I doubt there will be, I would be all over Del-Ton to get this corrected. You may have to send back the upper but at least get it fixed in the long run.
Thanks for the advice Quentin. I have not tried switching lowers but I will soon. I wonder if Del-ton would still work with me on repair or replacement. I've had it a couple of years.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrause2010 View Post
Thanks for the advice Quentin. I have not tried switching lowers but I will soon. I wonder if Del-ton would still work with me on repair or replacement. I've had it a couple of years.
I think they'd help. What kind of jams are you having? Short stroking? FTE? What does the extractor look like, and are you using an O-ring? What does the rim of the brass look like? Ripped off or no marks at all? You might find that a BCM extractor upgrade would be worth the money if nothing else turns up first. My Daniel Defense was having intermittent extraction problems with Wolf and the BCM upgrade solved it.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wolf's the only ammo that's ever given my AR trouble. Picked up a hundred rounds once and had to use my charging handle and cleaning rod way too much. All failures to extract. The rim of the shell casings kept getting stripped by the bolt and stuck in the chamber. That was with a carbine heavy buffer. I now have a normal rifle buffer. Maybe the more gentle action will chamber Wolf ammo without the extractor destroying the rim? I don't know and I'm hesitant try, but I'm assuming that's what you're getting at when you talk about trying different buffer setups.