Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I've got BRD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 177 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 146

JSE is a surplus type house. Some of their stuff is great, some not so. I've had good luck with YHM barrels from them, and other brand name parts. Most are cosmetic blems, not functional problems. Really depends on whose parts went into the build. Call Jerry and ask, he's a good Guy!

4-6 moa is the milspec! Pretty horrible huh!?! Most every new rifle I've tried can be brought down to 2 moa or less depending on the shooter. This is with iron sights, a scope should half the group size immediatly. A quality parts build with a little trial on ammo types ought to be able to produce sub moa groups....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 01-12-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts

Default I've got BRD

So I've been on the hunt for an upper for about a month now and can't seem to find the perfect one at the perfect time and I'm getting a little antsy.

How difficult is it to properly build one yourself? I've never tried this before and probably don't have any of the tools... Besides the knowledge what is needed to build an AR upper from scratch? (Parts, tools, jigs/vices... Anything else I'm forgetting to even mention) I have confidence in being able to do it correctly I'm mostly concerned with getting the right headspace.

The criteria for the upper is still the same if anybody on here is wanting to build one for me

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 197 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Watch lots of youtube building tutorial videos.. they really help. And always take your time when building as you will enjoy every seconds of it.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #14

http://www.jsesurplus.com/crossmachinebilletupperreceiver.aspx
Try this. Billet blemished upper at a great price. $165 + shipping

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/upper-receivers/stripped-blemished-ar-15-upper-receiver.html
Or this $39 blemished forged milspec upper . Great economy build choice.

You'll need a block to hold the upper in a vice, an AR wrench and a torque wrench bare minimum on tools. A pair a pliers, a set of punches and a small hammer will also help.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/accessories/tools/ar-15-tools/aim-sports-ar-armorers-kit-atarak.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/accessories/tools/weaver-hammer-punch-set-849723.html

Get an upper build parts kit from PSA to finish it.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-ar-15-upper-build-kit.html

Delta ring-barrel nut, or proprietary barrel nut depending on the hand guard choice . Then just choose your barrel. Best part is the tools can be reused for your "next" build. Enjoy your BRD.....

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Last edited by dwmiller; 02-08-2014 at 02:41 AM.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #15

Headspace on an AR is not a builder adjustable thing. Bolt head locks into the barrel extension and the headspacing is done. Headspace is set while the barrel is on the lathe, by the operator making the chamber cut.

Pretty much as long as the bolt can lock down on a round you have at least minimum headspace. Too much headspace is the result of chamber wear... lots and lots of rounds downrange. Any good quality barrel and bolt combo should give you proper headspace without any machine work.

I do have headspace go/ nogo gauges but I also finish chamber my own barrels once in a while. They are pretty expensive to only use once or twice and are not an absolute requirement to build an AR. Don't stress about it, just build it.... :beer:

Last edited by dwmiller; 02-09-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #16

So I totally found a store in Denver that I loved they had AR uppers in stock all shapes and sizes and I'm about to go all out and finish my rifle just how I wanted (exception being it was a lefty upper but everything else was perfect) and I decide to have a look at the optics thinking maybe I could get a decent dot or scope to go along with my new upper since it lacked sights... And I saw this at a price I couldn't pass up and now I have to rethink my whole build cause its a new color that I hadn't planed on but what the hell it was about 400 bucks cheaper than I've seen beforeimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1394654885.450156.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1394654923.043178.jpg

Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I do too. I had my lgs order a RRA lower for me two weeks ago. I expected it to be months on back order so I bought a PSA lower at a show to build while I waited. RRA lower came in yesterday so I guess I'll just have to build two!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #18

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I do too. I had my lgs order a RRA lower for me two weeks ago. I expected it to be months on back order so I bought a PSA lower at a show to build while I waited. RRA lower came in yesterday so I guess I'll just have to build two!

As if there were ever a choice ;-) Two builds will turn into three which will turn into four etc...

Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #19

Default I've got BRD

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395280303.102561.jpg

Soooo... I had to skimp a little bit on the upper cause I blew most of the bank on the ACOG but here she is my first build.

The stat sheet is this:
Doublestar lower
DPMS LBK with A2 stock
JSE upper
16" Wilson bull barrel 1 in 8 twist .223 wylde
Freefloat forend
Mil-spec BCG
Trijicon 4x ACOG with green horseshoe reticle

There's still a few things I'm gonna change on it like the stock, grip & trigger plus a few extras.... And a paint job of some sort so it all matches.