I've got the AR-15 bug!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I've got the AR-15 bug!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default I've got the AR-15 bug!

My son, who has (3) AR-15's in various configurations, has offered to build me a Cali approved AR. He has a legal lower and asked me what I wanted for the upper.

I need some advice on who has the best mail order prices, and which upper you prefer. I am left handed, so this will have to be on my list, but what is the best upper for the price. This will be for our upcoming zombie attack, that I will sling up, next to my Glocks in my back pockets.

Thanks for your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Go to Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories. and get yourself a BCM upper.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Supporting Member

Thanks! Anyone have more recommendations to get me going on this?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #4

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

What does your son say about it, which brands does he like, what has he built and do you like them? BCM is a great place to go so look at their uppers, especially midlength.

Are you saying you want a left handed upper receiver? If so Stag would be the place to look.

As far as building the lower you've got a huge selection so get the rollmark you like and put in a Stag or equal quality LPK and the stock kit you like best.

I'll pass on the Californication of the evil features, don't know how that goes but a suggestion - move to the Lake Havasu, AZ side of the river!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good info here over the next few days ...

Old 01-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Nope. RMT has taken care of it. Now all you need to do is decide which one. I personally like the 14.5s w/ perm attached FH/comp. Just make sure you know what you want before you order the perm FH/comp. It would suck to cut up a good muzzle devise because you changed your mind on what rail you wanted to use. Or just go w/ a 16" barrel. Lightweight barrels are nice. If I was to purchase one right now it would be a BCM 14.5" lightweight contoured barrel w/ midlength gas system, tappered plastic OE handguards, pinned PWS or BC 1.5 comp, BCM F/A BCG, and VLTOR IMod stock.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Supporting Member

The lower assembly is a Stag. He just wants me to decide whether I want/need a carry handle, and what if any accessories I'm going to mount. From reading other posts, the residual parts you purchase on a whim become wasted space soon after, and I'm just trying to avoid these unnecessary purchases.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forget the carry handle. Go flat top in my opinion. You can get a detachable carry handle for it later if you want. If you fina an upper that you really like but it isn't an left hand ejection port like the Stag upper that was mentioned earlier, you can always use a brass catcher. It's good range etiquete anyways as you are not throwing hot brass down the shirt of the guy sitting next to you.

I always recommend J and T Distributing. They assemble all their uppers with Doublestar componenets and they have terrific pricing. My 24" bull barrelled upper was shipped to my front door for 504.00 and has been terrific for the last year. You can track down some pics if you like at the end of the AR picture thread.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I am left handed, so this will have to be on my list
Since you are left handed I would suggest,

Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #9

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
...I need some advice on who has the best mail order prices, and which upper you prefer. I am left handed, so this will have to be on my list, but what is the best upper for the price. This will be for our upcoming zombie attack, that I will sling up, next to my Glocks in my back pockets.

Thanks for your help!
We're kinda rehashing things now. Can you zero in more on exactly what you're looking for? I would suggest leaning more toward quality than lowest price. The difference in an upper often is only a hundred bucks or so. Just last week I got a Daniel Defense LW midlength upper configured much like mjkeat described and am very pleased with it.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-28-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
We're kinda rehashing things now. Can you zero in more on exactly what you're looking for? I would suggest leaning more toward quality than lowest price. The difference in an upper often is only a hundred bucks or so. Just last week I got a Daniel Defense LW midlength upper configured much like mjkeat described and am very pleased with it.
I agree with Quentin. and I would have to agree on the stag if you want a left upper. just be careful cause it can get quite expensive i will have almost 2500 in my ar after glass and accessories.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."