Its finally finished! My first AR - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Its finally finished! My first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks good my young padwan. Good to see you still getting out there with the rifle and practicing.

You're vertical stringing can be fixed by watching your breathing when you are pulling the trigger.

JD

Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post
put another 100 odd rounds through my AR

the first target is with my red dot scope
it was right on the money
did very little adjusting with it
i'm content with that $15 red dot i bought on ebay

the second target was the iron sights and it was a mess
it was way low...
the flip up sights had to adjusted alot and it took a while
but i got it zeroed so i guess thats what matters

as for the spring upgrade it gave it a slightly lighter pull which was nice
the rubber grip helped too. i could get a really good grip with the rubber
the free float made the rifle a pound heavier but with the red dot scope results i ain't complaining haha

still no problems with feeding or any other malfunction for that matter
bought three more 30 rds magazines but with the market as it is right now i won't get it until Febuary

wish i could test its endurance and put a few hundred rounds through at a time but no cheap rifle ranges around the area...
Relax, keep a consistent cheek weld, learn proper breath control.

Put a section of cleaning rod down your muzzle. Balance a quarter on the rod and practice dry firing. The point of the exercise is to consistently keep the quarter on the rod.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #83

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Looks good my young padwan. Good to see you still getting out there with the rifle and practicing.

You're vertical stringing can be fixed by watching your breathing when you are pulling the trigger.

JD
so its not the iron sights?
how should i control breathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Relax, keep a consistent cheek weld, learn proper breath control.

Put a section of cleaning rod down your muzzle. Balance a quarter on the rod and practice dry firing. The point of the exercise is to consistently keep the quarter on the rod.
thanks matt g i'll try that out
whats a cheek weld? does that mean keep cheek in on the same spot on my stock?
any other tips?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Last edited by junho806; 01-10-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #84

Once you have your sights set, for the range being shot, you should not have to touch them again. If you were adjusting them as you were shooting, then the stringing makes sense. If you were not, then vertical stringing is almost ALWAYS a case of pulling the trigger at different times during a breathing pattern.

Your shots are all pretty much in the center of the paper, but from low to high. So wind wasn't a problem and your sights were set for the bore of the barrel.

A proper cheek weld is getting the exact same spot of your cheek on the stock at the same time, everytime, you are ready to pull the trigger. That is one of the reasons for getting a rifle stock that is the correct length for your length of pull.

Adjustable stocks are nice, but they lead to incorrect lengths of pull which can affect accuracy.

Are you using a sling? That can help if you have it tuned correctly for your shooting situation.

For breathing, try this and see if it works for you, it does for me:

Try taking a full breath, pause a half a heartbeart and oxygeniate your lungs, let half of the breath out, then squeeze the trigger and let the rest of the breath out on the recoil of the rifle. Inhale and repeat as you come back on target.

JD

Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #85

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Once you have your sights set, for the range being shot, you should not have to touch them again. If you were adjusting them as you were shooting, then the stringing makes sense. If you were not, then vertical stringing is almost ALWAYS a case of pulling the trigger at different times during a breathing pattern.

Your shots are all pretty much in the center of the paper, but from low to high. So wind wasn't a problem and your sights were set for the bore of the barrel.

A proper cheek weld is getting the exact same spot of your cheek on the stock at the same time, everytime, you are ready to pull the trigger. That is one of the reasons for getting a rifle stock that is the correct length for your length of pull.

Adjustable stocks are nice, but they lead to incorrect lengths of pull which can affect accuracy.

Are you using a sling? That can help if you have it tuned correctly for your shooting situation.

For breathing, try this and see if it works for you, it does for me:

Try taking a full breath, pause a half a heartbeart and oxygeniate your lungs, let half of the breath out, then squeeze the trigger and let the rest of the breath out on the recoil of the rifle. Inhale and repeat as you come back on target.

JD
how do i determine the correct length of pull for my stock?
is it comfort?

i didn't use the sling but i'll try it next time
i'll practice that breathing exercise along with mattg's and do some dry firing practice

thanks for the tips

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Relax, inhale, front sight, squeeze, exhale.

Use that as a mantra for each shot. It's easier to shoot on a full inhale for a newb. If you're going to exhale before taking the shot, it needs to be done to the exact same point for every shot.

I used the V made by the charging handle and stock as my reference. I'd stick the bridge of my nose, where the cartilage meets the bone, there. Make sure you're referencing that position for every shot.

Keep the rifle tucked into the pocket of your shoulder. Again, reference that position for every shot. Recoil isn't an issue with an AR, but learning that will help you later on with bigger guns.

Here is where I differ from JD's opinion: let your sling hang freely. Improper use will lead to inconsistent barrel loading. Besides, there is no use for it when shooting for a supported position.

All zeroing needs to be done from a prone or sitting supported position.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #87

You need to sign up for sponsoring membership - I did a whole write up for the Knowledge Base on how to measure your correct length of pull.

PM and I will walk you through it, it's pretty easy...

JD

Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You should have that stock pulled all of the way to the rear, unless you're a midget. I'd bet money though that your problems are caused by breathing and/or cheek weld.

Zeroing requires 3 shots in a quarter sized group at 25 yards. You should shoot 3 groups like this before making any adjustments. Any adjustment should be made off of the average of the 3 groups.

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 01-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
You should have that stock pulled all of the way to the rear, unless you're a midget.
Easy bro, he is Asian decent after all. We don't know if he has benefitted from all the "healthy" vitamins and hormones in our Western culture.

J/K Junho....

JD

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If all else fails, half a Valium or Xanax will ease involuntary muscle twitches and make respiration more shallow.

Roger Waters