Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Iron sights ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/iron-sights-69009/)

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-26-2012 05:01 PM

Iron sights ?

Gentleman,

I trying to find some good iron sight, folding or fixed. For my build I've decided I only need to go 300 meters. I do t want optics on this build so I'm trying to find some good irons. I've looked at the Troy , LWRC skirmish , and DD , and others .I just want to hear from you guys I you have any of these or better ones. As much of a Magpul whore I am , I'm not to stoked on the Magpul sights.

Appreciate any input.
Thanks guys.

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-26-2012 05:03 PM

Also forgot to ask if anyone ha tried the diamond head sights?

JonM 07-26-2012 07:11 PM

Best folding rear iron sight ive come across is the matech. Its got a lever that allows you to adjust poi for range that works. Its more than capable of 300yd shooting with good accuracy. The folding rear peep just snaps up or down without need to push buttons.

I dont care for the diamond because the human eye recognize angles and lines easily distracting attention. circles or curves are faster more intuitive. When you have four straight lines competing for attention with the front sight its not going to be intuitively fast in a oh**** type situation. When you have the front sight protected by two curved ears or a circle your eye is drawn to the odd thing out, the front sight which is where your focus should be. Just my take on em.

A matech sits under my acog on my bcm middy

SSGSF 07-26-2012 07:18 PM

How about you stop by the introduction section?

purehavoc 07-26-2012 07:40 PM

Hate to tell you this but some where on here there was a thread about a test done on several sights and the magpuls took the best beating

JonM 07-26-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 882741)
Hate to tell you this but some where on here there was a thread about a test done on several sights and the magpuls took the best beating

Yeah but i bought a trijicon acog to be sure my rear buis was properly protected...

GaMatt72 07-26-2012 07:48 PM

I put a YHM folding gas block front sight on and just a milspec rear for now. I may change the rear to the one mentioned. I saw it before and it seems like it will work great. But for now all my local ranges are indoor and 25 yards. I will go out to a buddy's and do some distance shooting when I heal up.

Quentin 07-26-2012 08:14 PM

If you don't want an optic then a good ol' carry handle is hard to beat, very tough and you can find milspec pulloffs (don't get the commercial height like Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite - get true milspec height) for under $50 on eBay. I also like the Matech since it has ranging built in like the carry handle. No problem with MBUS either.

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-26-2012 08:18 PM

Thanks guys.

JonM,
Ill check into the matech sights. I think what you said about the diamonds makes sense . Thanks for the input.

Quentin 07-26-2012 08:22 PM

Our own Special Agent Tikki likes the Diamondheads so he may have more on them later. I'm curious how they work but never have had the chance at the range.