Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Introduction and Ammo question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

IMI is excellent bulk ammunition - primers and bullets sealed, necks annealled and crimped. it's the US's backup ammo supplier if ever the Lake City arsenal goes down. it's not your typical plinking ammo though, it's more of a SHTF, rely on it for you life ammo.

Prvi is supposed to be pretty good ammo too, plinking wise. Federal XM193F is supposed to be pretty good ammo, i do not know though.

then there's Wolf on further down the page, along with Federal XM193CBP, and Golden Tiger on the next page ALL of this is BULK ammo.

the federals at wal-mart are "hot" loads for my rifle, and have never failed to shoot about 3 - 4 inches higher than other manufacturers.

my RRA 16-inch mid-length eats wolf ammo and sl-lits out the shells as fast as i can fire them, usually about 500 per shooting session -- NO PROBLEMO!

i have been told though, not to shoot steel cases, then shoot brass immediately following that many rounds without cleaning the chamber first - because brass expands and steel does not. the carbon and oil left in the chamber after firing so many steel cases, makes the oil(s) "super heat" and the expanding brass gets "stuck" (in not so eloquent of terms) inside the chamber due to the chamber having "shrunk" in diameter due to the "cake" of carbon and oil inside of it.

if you've ever noticed "pitting" on any brass after it has been ejected from any firearm you've ever shot, that's inidcative of a serious cleaning that needs to take place inside you're chamber...................the oil is "super heating" and "cooking" the brass until it blisters. it wound up being a problem on remington's model 742s, ESPECIALLY when WD-40 was used to clean them. the brass would super heat and get stuck in the caked chamber and the extractor was so strong, it would rip part of the rim off the case, but leave the hull still in the rifle..........accuracy went ALL TO HELL.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 03-15-2011 at 02:47 AM.