Installing a Bipod
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Installing a Bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Installing a Bipod

I have an AR15 that I usually use shooting-sticks with, if needed. It's a free-floating heavy barrel system for more accuracy ... I don't have a bayonet lug to use the Blackhawk! bipod I have, so I bought one called "The Dragon" or something like that with the military feet but it is a barrel mount.

It clamps on the barrel near the gas-block and then a screw comes up to pinch it into place. I doubt it does anything to the heavy barrel as far as damage or anything, but has anyone had any experience with this type of mount with bipods?

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont like any thing that clamps to a barrel. If you over tighten the set screw it might damage ur barrel. Also u said u have a freefloat forend. Clamping any thing on the barrel will reduce the accuracy of ur rig. I would get a bipod that mounts to ur forend. Spend some money now u wont regret it later. Ive been running the tango down acb-4 for a year now and its held up to alot of abuse on my 20" ar. Its kinda pricy but it works great.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Last edited by duddie10; 05-23-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you are looking for accuracy, clamping on the barrel is going to be detrimental. You spent good money on free floating your barrel, don't muck it up by having anything hanging off your barrel.

Get a bipod that'll mount to a sling swivel and get an adaptor with a sling swivel stud on it.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2557 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

Bravo,

Not good for precise accuracy! The clamp mount will effect the barrel harmonics when rested on a surface compared to shooting unrested to zero the rifle. OK for just hitting targets and basic tactical shooting. Send us some pictures of your rifle and we can provide a better answer and suggestions. Not trying to discourage or be tough on you but anything that is attached to the barrel can effect the harmonics and zero setting on a rifle. An example is putting a flashlight mount on the barrel. Zeroing the rifle and then resting the Flashlight on something. It will normally change the point of impact and obviously more as the distance to the target increases. But send us some pics and we can assist if you wish! There are great Bi-Pods out there and all kinds of possibilities that will not effect the accuracy or zero.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the responses ... I knew I'd get the accuracy answers. I was hoping someone here had used this option before. Mine was $1,200 DPMS MOE Magpul load-out with free-floating quad-rail ... I put a light and on bottom I put a Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip and it goes all the way to the end of the picatinny rail - none left. I would have to move the AFG2 back to more of a center position (I have it extened out so my left arm is more extended) and I have no bayonet lug. Right now I have two bi-pods: the Dragon clamp on and a Blackhawk! that pinches to a bayonet lug, which I don't have. This sux

Being an engineer, I would tend to agree with you about it having an effect, but I have no empirical evidence to support that claim. I was hoping you guys would have some experience. Neither one of the bi-pods I have will mount to the picattiny rail anyway

Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Don't Pass Out! Obama

Please do not pass out or have a coronary when I reveal the fact that I agreed with Obama 100% today on some issues! Wow! Can't believe I agree with him.

But the issue is this. This afternoon I watched the address he made on TV about terrorists activity.
I know he has caught a lot of heat over the use of Drones on terrorists overseas.
He also said there would be no use of any Drones on any US Citizen in the USA. *I concur!
As far as overseas I could not agree with him more. Once a previous US Citizen is involved in terrorist training, terrorist philosophy, terrorist activity, and efforts to kill American Military and Citizens overseas! BRING THE DRONES!
It is my opinion as it was in the speech today that once the commit to that they forfeit their citizenship and quite frankly they can go to H! So kill them all with no due process needed.

But back to closing GITMO releasing Islamic Killers of American Troops and Citizens. It was a proven fact some the let out in the past actually were back in the war and killed American Service Men and Women. And eliminating things like Water Boarding as a tool to attack terrorism which was responsible for revealing important and vital information Like Osama! Monitoring E-mail, Internet and Telephones with no probable cause, our nation is safer now than in the past! I totally disagree with him as I do on most issues! Including the attack on our Constitution, Second Amendment, Fast and Furious, Benghazi, Censoring Citizens and News Reporters, Targeting conservative groups, the IRS Scandal and on and on!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Please do not pass out or have a coronary when I reveal the fact that I agreed with Obama 100% today on some issues! Wow! Can't believe I agree with him.

But the issue is this. This afternoon I watched the address he made on TV about terrorists activity.
I know he has caught a lot of heat over the use of Drones on terrorists overseas.
He also said there would be no use of any Drones on any US Citizen in the USA. *I concur!
As far as overseas I could not agree with him more. Once a previous US Citizen is involved in terrorist training, terrorist philosophy, terrorist activity, and efforts to kill American Military and Citizens overseas! BRING THE DRONES!
It is my opinion as it was in the speech today that once the commit to that they forfeit their citizenship and quite frankly they can go to H! So kill them all with no due process needed.

But back to closing GITMO releasing Islamic Killers of American Troops and Citizens. It was a proven fact some the let out in the past actually were back in the war and killed American Service Men and Women. And eliminating things like Water Boarding as a tool to attack terrorism which was responsible for revealing important and vital information Like Osama! Monitoring E-mail, Internet and Telephones with no probable cause, our nation is safer now than in the past! I totally disagree with him as I do on most issues! Including the attack on our Constitution, Second Amendment, Fast and Furious, Benghazi, Censoring Citizens and News Reporters, Targeting conservative groups, the IRS Scandal and on and on!

um did Bambam say anything about bipods?
mebbe wrong thread?

Vltor makes a b@d@ss bipod that mounts on at the 3 and 9 oclock positions. Or simply relocating your light, there's plenty of other mounting solutions.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Here are some pics to see if this helps:

Could I use the one in the first image by knocking out the pin or something? You can see I'd have to move the AFG back and you can see how this particular one is clamped onto the barrel just in front of the gas-block ... think it would still be a problem?

Last edited by Bravo_Sixx; 06-04-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sorry guys about the Obama post! It should have been a beginning Thread! I have no idea how it ended up here??????

IF ONE OF THE MONITORS FINDS THE ABOVE POST LISTED PLEASE MOVE IT FROM THIS THREAD. HOW IT GOT HERE I HAVE NO IDEA? Thanks 03 entitled Don't Pass Out! Obama.

Back to the original Thread!
Bravo, Rock River Arms also has a Model AR3621 M-1 Rail Mount that attaches to the bottom rail of the free float quad rail. Just for additional information. Cost is around $24.00 Quick solution! Looks like you solved your issue.

*Patrick Henry

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-04-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Anyone take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think? I have this bi-pod that is mounted on the barrel (see pic) and I have another that I could put on that pin in image one ... what do you think?