Installing the barrel on my upper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Installing the barrel on my upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Installing the barrel on my upper

Hi I recently decided to build my own upper and I have slowly started to get my parts together. Got the stripped upper,the bolt assist, dust cover,gas tube, barrel, hand guard and gas block. I also got some aeroshell 33ms I read it was some really good stuff. My only concern is putting the barrel on my buddy gave me a no-mar upper vice bock and a ncstar armor tool. I know the armor tool has a barrel wrench on it but ncstar makes some cheap stuff sometimes will it work or should I buy a better one or just a barrel wrench without the other stuff on it. I also have the torque wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #2

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Torque wrench is your friend. Barrel nut should be torqued on to approximately 30 ft/lbs, then backed off. Repeat a couple of times to ensure thread seating. Final torque until a gas tube notch lines up with torque between 30 and 80 ft/lbs.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1797 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 5415

It will not hurt to try/use the 'cheap' tool. You will quickly find out if it will work for you.

My guess is that the barrel aperture will be of sufficient quality to work as needed.

Some of the other features may not work as well as they might on a better quality or design, but it will probably work.
I find that the buffer tube castle nut can be a bit tricky with my DPMS tool. If you build more, you may end up with a couple of armorers tools/wrenches.

My builds have been successful with my original DPMS tool; I often find criticism of this design on the forums, but it can work.
The only reason I haven't upgraded the tool is because it DOES WORK and I'll put my money somewhere else.

IMPORTANT: if you think the tool is contributing to any damage during assembly, seek more advice from others that have tried different tools.

I still get annoyed inserting the Mag Release Pin. grrrrrrr.......

Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #4

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Go ahead and use that NC Star Wrench. Guaranteed they didn't make it. Only has their name on it. It might work very well.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

What SSGN_Doc said. And also it is recommended to add a few small dabs of Aeroshell 33MS grease on the upper threads and front edge of barrel flange (one that contacts the barrel nut). Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #6

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

For future reference, I get my AR tools from Brownells. I have a hard rubber vice block I use with the uppers instead of the barrel jaws to avoid any scratches. works nice. My barrel wrench happens to be DPMS. Brownells makes a pin that goes inside the gas key that you can use to line up the barrel nut. It is thicker than the gas tube deliberately so you will have some clearance when you install the gas tube. Another tip: I use a thin white marker (liquid paper works too) on the barrel on the receiver side of where the handguard cap is to mark where the port hole is so I can line up the gas block.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post
What SSGN_Doc said. And also it is recommended to add a few small dabs of Aeroshell 33MS grease on the upper threads and front edge of barrel flange (one that contacts the barrel nut). Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it!
I used Loctite brand anti seize compound on the barrel nut of AR I assembled.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
For future reference, I get my AR tools from Brownells. I have a hard rubber vice block I use with the uppers instead of the barrel jaws to avoid any scratches. works nice. My barrel wrench happens to be DPMS. Brownells makes a pin that goes inside the gas key that you can use to line up the barrel nut. It is thicker than the gas tube deliberately so you will have some clearance when you install the gas tube. Another tip: I use a thin white marker (liquid paper works too) on the barrel on the receiver side of where the handguard cap is to mark where the port hole is so I can line up the gas block.
I bought one of these a few years back:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/gunsmithing-tool-kits/ar-15-m16-critical-tools-kit-prod41214.aspx
Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Good combo kit. I have purchased all of these separately, and use them often.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Installing the barrel on my upper

Turns out I was right ncstar is junk It stripped out the teeth on the wrench on the first turn to torque it on. I was able to get it to 30lbs but can't get anymore out of it and I'm between slots for the gas tube I'm about 1/8" off. I guess I'm going to take it to a gun shop that's on my way to work and have them finish it. Should have bought better tools to start with and would have been better off I hope they don't charge to much for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by patrickkr; 05-15-2014 at 12:19 AM.