Inherited an AR, would like to know it's value. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Inherited an AR, would like to know it's value.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Youd probably be able to sell if for around $400-$500 if you find the right person.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona View Post
OK, sorry about the wait, here is what I've gathered:

Lower: DPMS
Upper: DPMS
Optics: NcSTAR
Rails: YHM
Stock: DPMS
Pistol grip: No markings
Front grip: Knight's
Bipod: Harris
Front sight post: No markings
I all honesty, you pretty much have a generic rifle as well as optics. The only appealing parts of this package are the bi-pod and rails. I'm also guessing that if the upper and lower are DPMS, then the lower parts, bolt carrier group, pretty much every internal are also DPMS Don't get me wrong! It'll probably shoot decently for a few years (or longer if you care for it), depending on how many miles (and highway vs. city) are already on it.

If you keep it:
This gun could work its way into your arsenal, given the right set of circumstances. It sounds like you don't have much under your belt inthe AQR world, but I can tell you. . . even though this maker is my least favorite and I've got countless good reasons why, It'll do its job. (wow, that what tough) Replace or better yet, eliminate the scope. Just about anything is better than what you got. Redfield is one, if not the best bang for the $$$ right now. They are made under Leupold in Oregon. If you get rid the scope, The Bushnell Trophy has a red dot that competes directly with and ACOG for a fraction of the cost. I'm very impressed with mine and we'll see how it does when it gets switched to another rifle tomorrow.

If you ditch it:
You should make enough from it if you part out ALL the accessories and try to get $500 for the functioning rifle, to look into an AR with some quality and craftsmanship behind it. It might not hurt to leave the scope on the gun for sale. It catches the eye of some (mostly amateur) buyers.

If you decide to get rid of the rifle, consult one of us more thoroughly, the folks around here are very helpful and most of us with the "Supporting Member" tag know enough or can point you in the right direction. A man by the name of Dillinger is is one of the experienced and willing to help firearms type folk I've came across in my shooting days.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dude are you sure it isn't a DPMS Panther .308?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #24

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I do not see either a fwd assist or an ejector port cover on the upper...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I do not see either a fwd assist or an ejector port cover on the upper...
This is correct, it has neither of those.

It is not .308 it is .223

In Soviet Union you do not drive car, car drives you.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
all you have to do is look at the size of the mag for identification.

308 is always straight and wider
223 curved

Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
all you have to do is look at the size of the mag for identification.

308 is always straight and wider
223 curved
Problem may be the guy isn't very gun savvy yet...

If it is a DPMS that should be marked on the left side of the lower receiver to the left of the trigger same side should also have the Serial #. someone here
can look up your gun with the name & serial #

Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #28
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Might be me but is it odd not to have fwd assist? I made a habit of pushing the assist everytime I recharge, if it isn't there what do you do if the bolt doesn't set? Ejector cover, some don't like but this looks like it doesn't accept one at all, it keeps the crud away from the bolt when not in use. Two features I truly want on a AR. I have to ask where did you get the pictures from?

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #29

The DPMS Sportical has a "slick side" upper with no dust cover and no forward assist. If it all came assembled as a rifle and wasn't parted together it looks as though this is what you have. Aside from the after market stuff that was added, the Sportical is advertised new all over Gunbroker for between 6 and 7bills. It's DPMS's lower end beginners AR.

I can't say I've ever used the forward assist for anything, even with my issue M4 even after dragging it through mud and snow. If it doesn't go into battery the first time chances are the forward assist isn't going to fix it. Time for an immediate action drill. Contrary to some of what I have seen both in the Coast Guard, Army, and as a PD weapons instructor, the forward assist was meant to be PUSHED, not SLAMMED on to force a round into the chamber. No training that I have ever attended or conducted advocates use of the forward assist.

The dust cover on a duty weapon is another story. Keeping crud off the bolt is kinda important. My Army experience is in the Mountain Infantry, and someone WILL let you know, especially if you're patrolling in the snow and ice with the dust cover open...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 12-12-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
The DPMS Sportical has a "slick side" upper with no dust cover and no forward assist. If it all came assembled as a rifle and wasn't parted together it looks as though this is what you have. Aside from the after market stuff that was added, the Sportical is advertised new all over Gunbroker for between 6 and 7bills. It's DPMS's lower end beginners AR.

I can't say I've ever used the forward assist for anything, even with my issue M4 even after dragging it through mud and snow. If it doesn't go into battery the first time chances are the forward assist isn't going to fix it. Time for an immediate action drill. Contrary to some of what I have seen both in the Coast Guard, Army, and as a PD weapons instructor, the forward assist was meant to be PUSHED, not SLAMMED on to force a round into the chamber. No training that I have ever attended or conducted advocates use of the forward assist.

The dust cover on a duty weapon is another story. Keeping crud off the bolt is kinda important. My Army experience is in the Mountain Infantry, and someone WILL let you know, especially if you're patrolling in the snow and ice with the dust cover open...
Jeep, when you say Mnt Inf what exactly are you referring to?