Inflated "hysteria" prices...who has paid them?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Inflated "hysteria" prices...who has paid them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Inflated "hysteria" prices...who has paid them?

Up until yesterday I hadn't yet bathed in the 200-500% mark-up insanity various AR products currently carry. Well, apart from selling a few LPKs and BCGs on EBay for insane prices. When mags initially went nuts, I simply added my name to backorder lists with Brownells, etc at rational prices. I think I must have right around $2500 worth of backorders just floating around out there right now, LOL.

But yesterday I caved in and did it. After landing a PSA upper with a MI handguard, all I needed to complete a build was a stripped lower. I went ahead and bought a new Gen 1 Noveske for $300. Old prices, I'd happily pay $150 and consider up to $180. New prices? Well, I guess the guy I bought it from met me somewhere in between what it used to sell for and what it would actually bring on GunBroker.

I sold one M16 BCG on EBay to cover the price. New prices or old, a quality lower for a quality BCG is a pretty even swap in my mind...except I need the lower more, and the BCG is far less likely to be affected by any laws in the foreseeable future. So I figure I did just fine. And my "hysteria build" will sit atop a very desireable lower, even if it is just a roll mark.

Last edited by sweeper22; 01-17-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I'd say you did real well Sweeper. All said and done it was pretty much an even trade, good BCG for a very desirable lower... So whether their current value is $150 or $300 you more than broke even.

Good way to play the game and ultimately you won because you have a complete rifle now with the Noveske rollmark. Sky's the limit if you sold that!!!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'm 90% complete on a 300 blk build that is already $300 over budget. I still don't have the nickel bcg I want for it. I have one on backorder with brownells that cost $115. I'm contemplating caving and paying around $350 for one on GB to finish the build.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Same boat have a 9mm dedicated lower and all parts except a FCG. I almost paid 300 for a 9mm CMMG ramped bolt and still looking for a 5.5 to 7 inch barreled upper. I think I'll wait a bit longer?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 361 Posts

I got a great deal but it was almost $400 more than I wanted to spend. Got a free float Noveske upper for a little less than $1100, all in all I have a Noveske'ish rifle for about $1600. Just need some irons and optics now, think I'll get the DD fixed sights...

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

im waiting until the demand is over and all the panic buyers start dumping the guns after its over and the prices drop like mad

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 699 Times on 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
im waiting until the demand is over and all the panic buyers start dumping the guns after its over and the prices drop like mad
I don't see prices dropping that much, I'll wager that they will stay 10-15% higher than they were.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I picked up 10 - 30 round PMag's w/window for $500 this week on Gunbroker. Figured I could use another 10 just to have around the house and the local "normal" gunshop (Carters) didn't have any AR mags at all.

Yeah that is way more than they used to be, but stopped in at one of the local tactical shops on the way home last night. Saw some hanging on the wall and walked over to see how bad I got fleeced. Well, they wanted $59 for them at the shop so I actual made out OK. At the end of the day, I'd rather have them in hand, for the 300AAC I'm looking for, instead of splitting up the supply I have for my M4 when the 300AAC comes home.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Since the mag/capacity situation is slower developing, I'd really recommend those in need of Pmags simply get on a backorder waiting lists at $15/per. Try Brownells, for example. There are probably a hundred other options out there. Ruger Store is one I'd probably look at, since they filled my backorder relatively quickly.

There are Pmags (and similar...Lancer, Troy, etc) to be had online in the $25-40 range if you want 'em now. Even at auction sites. Fortunately I have enough that I can afford to sit patiently on a half dozen waiting lists. And yes, I'll be paying for delivery on every one of them.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #10

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 300

I'm getting ready this weekend to start on my first 80% lower. That is my answer to the hysteria.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This