Inexpensive AR-15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Inexpensive AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Paladin, if it shoots it enough huh lol

Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21201 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

i agree that for the most part you get what you pay for, but with some careful shopping and a little research, there are some really good deals to be had.

a person needs to evaluate what their needs and wants are when looking to buy an AR. factor in how much of a budget they have to spend and then look for the highest quality rifle within their budget. sometimes not much seperates higher quality from just decent, and then maybe spending a little more will get you a nicer rifle.

i say if it functions well and suits your needs for the price paid, then all is well. i looked at a very well equipped AR in 308 with a really nice leupold 5-20x40 scope on it, they were asking $2700 for it and it was used, very nice condition, but still used. very nice looking rig, but way more than i need or will ever spend on an AR.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
MJ, that's a funny statement coming from a guy that has $3,000+ in each of your AR's. The OP said he wanted a reliable AR that didn't cost a bunch of money and it seems that he got exactly what he wanted. I don't see anything wrong with that.
What statement are you referring to?

I'm having a hard time understanding where you are coming from seeing as I stated PSA is a great example of being able to get a quality AR w/o spending a lot.

I just simply cleared up a couple misconceptions in the OP.

Sounds like a cord has been struck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm trying to figure out if craftsman and snap-on have gotten into the AR business.
I've watched to many guys purchase cheap $15 hammers over and over trying to avoid spending $30 on an Estwing. In the long run they are left w/ a broken hammer at the job site having to ask to borrow one of mine (one is none, I always bring extra).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I think it's great when someone does his homework and is able to save money on a rifle that meets his needs, especially when on a tight budget. The problem is most people aren't like you Paladin and their quick decision low-end AR gives them trouble or requires upgrades. So what it comes down to is put a lot of thought into your AR, know what you're doing and what you're getting and even then be careful, even when buying high end because there are turds in every price range!
I agree. My first purchase wasn't rushed but I should have done more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
I firmly believe that in many cases, you get what you pay for. But I also firmly believe that in anything you do, there is point called "good enough".
True but sometimes guys spend more for less. It seems to happen every week. It's disheartening to read a guy spent his hard earned money on some fly by night AR when he could have had a quality AR from a well established company for the same or less.

It's awesome/ refreshing to see that you have thought it through instead of grabbing whatever the LGS told you was GTG.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #14

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was kidding man btw, I have an Estwing, 22oz waffle framing hammer. Wouldn't trade it for anything, $32.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I was kidding man btw, I have an Estwing, 22oz waffle framing hammer. Wouldn't trade it for anything, $32.
Haha, i went with the 28 oz, used it so much that its now a smooth face and i still wouldnt trade it for a new hammer.

I can drive a concrete "cut" nail with two good hits. PLOW!

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I could tell. What got posted was a quick summarization of what I had originally typed before I accidentally hit the back button. Of course my text wasn't there when I hit the forward button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Haha, i went with the 28 oz, used it so much that its now a smooth face and i still wouldnt trade it for a new hammer.

Same principle applies most places. Buy once cry once. It was annoying having to loan out tools to guys who insisted on getting junk. Now I will say the non Carhart jacket and other cold weather gear I purchased served me well on those cold days. So it is possible to find quality gear for less. Then again maybe I would have seen a difference in more extreme weather.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #17

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

I went with the 22 because I couldn't find a 16. I was carrying it for long distances and hours, running fence on pipelines.

If I were driving a lot of nails and not walking so far, like while framing a house, yeah, I'd take a 28 too.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if craftsman and snap-on have gotten into the AR business.
I'm here to tell you Craftsman is over priced GARBAGE!! I got sick and tired of spending my only day off going to sears to replace a bucketful of broken tools!

But yes, by in large you get what you pay for...i avoid harbor freight like the plague...but there is another local "discount" tool shop here that sells decent tools at a good price. Ones that get that job done, some do break, but you dont mind replacing them every so often due to affordability....also should you drop one in a pile of casting sand add infinitim ways to lose tools, you dont stress quite as much as you would losing a craftsman or other high end tool.

What i am driving at is just because you pay thru the nose for something does NOT mean you are getting better quality.

What I have learned in my many years as an informed consumer (Being dead broke my entire life i have been forced to learn about quality vs affordability = value) is to NEVER buy the most expensive (craftsman) of something, yet never buy the cheapest (harbor freight crap) of something and you usually get the best value....USUALLY, there are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule.

I have had good luck and am happy with my keltec....but got burned with a taurus.

I know folks that have had garbage Kimbers and/or Glocks but have had great success with taurus and love the boat anchors...

as for me....i think when i pull the trigger on my AR in Mid March ( Next Indy Gun show...also the weekend of the Supercross in Indy) i will be looking closely at DPMS. My research tells me they are a quality tool for a decent price and that = value.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #19

The only thing i buy at harbor frieght is rubber tarp straps, zip ties, electrical connectors and black tape, things like that. I dont buy load securement items like rachet straps because they are junk. I did buy a tongue box for my trailer in there because its the same gauge steel that lowes or home depot or truck and trailer equipment places sell for less. My dad buys everything in there but he just uses his tools around the house so he just uses them for light duty.

I used to be a carpenter and i used my tools for extreme heavy duty, outside in the rain, mug, heat and cold and getting tossed around jobsites and thrown in the back of the truck is hard on tools. Cheap tools dont hold up to that kind of abuse.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

I went with the 22 because I couldn't find a 16. I was carrying it for long distances and hours, running fence on pipelines.

If I were driving a lot of nails and not walking so far, like while framing a house, yeah, I'd take a 28 too.
Doesnt estwing also replace damaged and/or broken tools like craftsman does?

I usually bought craftsman tape measures because a residental framer goes through a couple tapes a year if not more. Buy one, use it till it breaks or wont roll up anymore, take it to sears and trade it in for another one. I was a carpenter for 5 years and only bought one tape, went through at least two a year.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380