Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Incredible MGI Hydra Modular AR!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Default The Incredible MGI Hydra Modular AR!

Earlier today I was thumbing through the latest Book of the AR-15 at the newstand and saw a story on the MGI Hydra which I'd never heard. That piqued my interest so just now I went to their website and watched this amazing video.

Their system allows quick barrel changes using standard AR barrels and that's not all, their lower receiver has a removable magwell so you can turn your 5.56 into 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and many other popular calibers. Of course some calibers require a bolt change too but not all. The price really isn't bad, about $1300 for the basic 5.56.

Anyway, it's well worth thumbing through that magazine and/or watching this 4 minute video:

http://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=2&sub_id=24

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ya, saw that system a little while bck very cool concept. Pricey tho. At the time of reading ( mebbe almost 1 year ago) a caliber and magwell change costed about as much as getting a complete lower reciever. Innovative but pricey (well they usually go hand in hand right?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #3

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Yeah the magwells do add up but I have to say the quick barrel swaps look good. It's not something I'd ever get but I can see applications for this. As the magazine pointed out unlike the ACR, there are an endless supply of standard barrels already available for the MGI system.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Here's something interesting if it hasn't been brought up before.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #5

anbody here bought one?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5258 Times on 2742 Posts
Likes Given: 331

The only issues are you will need to rezero the optic or sights each barrel change. The qd barrel idea works with squad machine guns because you are shooting at an area not a point target.

Its also not a good idea to constantly swap bolts between barrels on a ar15.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...