Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Increasing the Reliability of the Ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Rock,

The following comment is not meant to be in anyway offensive. But for information purposes only! Keep in mind the D Rings put 3+ times the amount of pressure on the Extractor Claw when extracting the case. I certainly would not suggest anyone use any of the steel cast ammunition in their rifle when using a D-Ring. Increasing the possibility of damaging the Extractor. Brass is more forgiving. Personally I have never needed to use a D Ring on a rifle in over 20 years in the industry. I do recommend using the "Black Extractor Insert and Spring". It is the highest durometer and used on most all select fire weapons to promote reliability. I do know of one company who had about 3000 rifles they sold in Texas that would not extract reliably. Not to mention they put the wrong front sight assembly on the rifles! So they sent the agency D-Rings to correct the problem, rather than correcting the real cause. Quality of parts!
Bottom line is if it helps! Use them but keep an eye on your Extractor. When you run your finger across the Extractor Claw it should feel "Sharp" to the touch.

It is not offensive in any way, 03. I like discussion.

I've used ARs for about 30 years, and the only problems I've ever routinely had were failures to extract (Besides magazine problems).

I picked up an Oly CAR in a trade about 15 years ago and the only problems it had were FTE. I tried using heavier springs, but it would still FTE sometimes. So I tried the Defender D Ring and the problem went away.

That gun is long gun, but I have a few Colts and a Stags and they all have the Defender D installed, and since installation are 100% reliable.

And I have cases of Wolf .223 stacked high in the "dump" and routinely run 500-1,000 rds through my M4 in a day, with zero problems. The only problem with Wolf was one of the polymer coated rds gluing itself to the chamber wall after a long run on a very hot day, followed by a cool down period with a chambered rd. Now, when I run the rifle HOT, I clear the chamber before letting the rifle cool down. No issues anymore.

My shooting partner uses a custom made high power extractor spring on the advice of a friend of ours who is a Title 2 MG maker, and he says the "D" is not necessary, as well. But they have been working 100% for me for the last 15+ years, and I know they have made my ARs more reliable.

I like the Defender D Rings, and have noticed the increase in performance.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #12

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

I haven't tried the Defender, just the black insert/spring. My ArmaLite upper and Daniel Defense BCG came with Crane O-rings which I used in the former for months with no issue. Then I saw recommendations against using it in midlengths so removed it. I never used the ring in the DD.

Both rifles have had no issues with any ammo I've tried including steel case so I'm sticking with this decision. No doubt the extractor needs routine inspection as Sniper03 said and possible replacement at the 5,000 round mark.

I understand that the carbine length gas system is much more likely to need the Defender or Crane and lots of people swear by them. Guess it boils down to whatever works for you... This is certainly one area where I just don't have enough experience to recommend either way.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I was having problems with a rifle last week. It was experiencing light primer strikes and feeding issues. I don't believe that they were not extracting, just mag issues (hopefully). Today went back out with a proven rifle, mags and plenty of good brass ammo.

The bolt is equipped with a rubber o-ring. unfortunately it is not the bolt that is going to run in the rifle as I was unable to find the original bolt's ejector roll-pin after disassembling last week. So I took 2 carriers One Spike's, one Mil-surp, both M16 carriers and one Spike's bolt.

The surplus carrier would short stroke and not pickup the next round occasionally. It also only locked back about 25% of the time after the last round.

The Spike's would lock back about 50% of the time and fire a 30 round mag all the way through.

I'm wondering if I'm having gas system problems. The barrel is a Del-Ton dissipator, but it has a rifle length gas system. When I ordered I expected a carbine length w/ the gas block in the barrel as my Bushmaster is. So now I'm wondering is the port hole not drilled to the proper diameter? There is only a few inches of gas harvest after the bullet travels beyond the port?

Help.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not sure if this will help w/ the FTLB.

14.5 midlength/failure to lock back - M4Carbine.net Forums

There was another thread I ran across a couple weeks ago covering the differences b/w the rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel and a true dissy. I can't find it now.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #15

A rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel does sound trouble prone. Definitely worth a conversation with Del-Ton. I'd think the midlength gas would have been the ideal solution. Opening the gas port surely is one option along with possible tweaks in the reciprocating mass and buffer spring and ammo selection.

Midlength gas and 16" has proven to be extremely reliable in my two ARs. Even after bumping up to an H2 buffer/SA BCG and H buffer/FA carrier low power ammo doesn't present a problem.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #16

#1 Keep is clean for reliability

#2 NEVER feed it anything from WOLFF

AR reliability is based upon brass cased ammo.....period.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
#1 Keep is clean for reliability

#2 NEVER feed it anything from WOLFF

AR reliability is based upon brass cased ammo.....period.
Except for the thousands of rounds of Wolf I've fired through my ARs. And the thousands of rds of Wolf I've watched go through my friend's ARs.

Thousands.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #18

Another steel case fan here as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Except for the thousands of rounds of Wolf I've fired through my ARs. And the thousands of rds of Wolf I've watched go through my friend's ARs.

Thousands.
I've also read in several books including "The AR-15 Volumes I & II" by Patrick Sweeny in which Wolf is used daily as their "Heat 'em up" ammo, by which they gauge reliability of tested rifles. I have one rifle that won't take Wolf, but it's still a work in progress and I hope it will soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
A rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel does sound trouble prone. Definitely worth a conversation with Del-Ton. I'd think the midlength gas would have been the ideal solution. Opening the gas port surely is one option along with possible tweaks in the reciprocating mass and buffer spring and ammo selection.

Midlength gas and 16" has proven to be extremely reliable in my two ARs. Even after bumping up to an H2 buffer/SA BCG and H buffer/FA carrier low power ammo doesn't present a problem.
I dropped them (Del-Ton0 an e-mail asking about the difference in gas port diameter, etc.

When I read 16" dissipator barrel I thought, perfect1 and that it would be like my Bushmaster, which uses the carbine length system w/ somewhat of an internal block. The gun is my current "go to" AR, because it is so reliable, I shot it today and it feeds mags that did not work in either of the other ARs that went with us and eats Wolf and Tula.

When this one came I guess I thought: "Well, it must work or they wouldn't make one." I've also since found that DPMS makes one as well. I'm hoping it just takes some adjusting in the buffer, hopefully.

NOTE: Upon field stripping after shooting it appears that the buffer detent has took a beating and appears bent?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Another steel case fan here as well.
Same here.