The Importance of Staking - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Importance of Staking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
LOL. I went from a 170 lb. construction worker working 60 hrs. a week and training MMA religiously to being a 197 lb. F/T student who spends most of his time behind a laptop and taking notes. It's a shock to they system when you go from one to the other but your caloric intake remains the same. Just get out and do it.
I am. Going to the gym again tomorrow night.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Do you have a bike? I hate working out but a bike makes exercise a bit more fun. Load up and find a local scenic trail that's bike friendly.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #13

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

My idea of athletic, over the last few years, is getting up from my desk to get a cup of coffee and not having it brought to me. I've turned into a pencil pusher who's built like a damned Who from Whoville and don't know when the fat snuck up on me.
Amen...I've gone from 6'2 and 220 lbs to 258 lbs. I am ashamed of myself. And, at age 41, every day that passes makes it more difficult to get started.

One day maybe...

Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got married a year ago. For the last 6 years I've been working a job where I walk all day with heavy hospital equipment and work about 45-50 hours a week. I stayed at 215 for for 6 years and since I got married a year ago I went from 215 to 250. I don't know what happened. But I need to loose this weight. I'm only 5'9" and the 35 pounds has taken its tole on me. It's hard to go to the gym when you have no energy after work.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck4Glocks
I got married a year ago. For the last 6 years I've been working a job where I walk all day with heavy hospital equipment and work about 45-50 hours a week. I stayed at 215 for for 6 years and since I got married a year ago I went from 215 to 250. I don't know what happened. But I need to loose this weight. I'm only 5'9" and the 35 pounds has taken its tole on me. It's hard to go to the gym when you have no energy after work.
And it's boring as hell

Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

And it's boring as hell
I enjoy working out. I started before I was in high school and played football in high school. So j worked out for a long time. Then I got lazy and just haven't gone back.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #17

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Im 6'1, 40 yrs old , I do ride a Mt bike and just recently quit racing BMX bikes with my kids due to bad knees , When I was racing 2 yrs ago I got down to 205 # from 235 I felt great every day wasnt tired all the time . Since not racing I have put some back on 225# I sure would love to get back down to 205 and stay there but my metabolism isnt the same as it was 5 yrs ago and it doesnt help I sit behind a desk 5-6 days a week .
I wish I could find a carbine course around here in IL . I would go it would be alot of fun Im sure

Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2323 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Just got back from a 1 day carbine course. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience/ motivator.

First thing this morning the instructor had us confirm zero. When I went back to my gear to top off my mags my receiver extension rotated as I sat the rifle down. I looked closer and noticed the castle nut was trying to back off. Good thing I keep an AR multi tool in the range bag.

My day was almost ruined. It would have been embarrassing as hell. Thankfully it was caught before backing off to far sending springs and detents went flying.

Moral of the story, STAKE.

Oh yeah, take a damn class. You'll learn a lot about yourself and your gear.
How difficult is it to get the castle nut off if you stake it? And would it make sense to use something like Locktite instead?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

How difficult is it to get the castle nut off if you stake it? And would it make sense to use something like Locktite instead?
If locktite was the answer, people would do just that. It seems like it doesn't hold up over time and through large numbers of rounds, so that's why people stake.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #20

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Its not hard to stake stuff and its not hard to remove it either . I use a punch to stake the castle nuts , it provides just enough to keep the nut from moving during vibration and recoil . Slight ding into the alum or steel so it protrudes into the cut out on the castle nut .