Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The Importance of Staking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default The Importance of Staking

Just got back from a 1 day carbine course. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience/ motivator.

First thing this morning the instructor had us confirm zero. When I went back to my gear to top off my mags my receiver extension rotated as I sat the rifle down. I looked closer and noticed the castle nut was trying to back off. Good thing I keep an AR multi tool in the range bag.

My day was almost ruined. It would have been embarrassing as hell. Thankfully it was caught before backing off to far sending springs and detents went flying.

Moral of the story, STAKE.

Oh yeah, take a damn class. You'll learn a lot about yourself and your gear.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much did the class run yah.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

$65 then maybe $100 in ammo. Not bad for a day of shooting and instruction. Don't forget the networking value.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
$65 then maybe $100 in ammo. Not bad for a day of shooting and instruction. Don't forget the networking value.
Must finish getting in shape so I can run and gun...

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to try and find someone in my area who does it. I would love to do something like that.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #6

Do it, it is a great experience. Just make sure your gear is straight. One kid kept having issues and it was frustrating him.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Staking is only needed when you dont have the time to properly inspect and maintain your firearm...as in Military or remote locations where tools become burdensome.

Every firearm will loosen up with use. Its up to the user to maintain that firearm. The onbly time I staked was when I was in the military. Now that I am a civy, I just maintain my weapons as I needed. Loctite + elbow power will keep any Castle Nut solid throughout a few thousand rounds. Proper Torque is all that is needed on the Gas Key Bolts. I have used the same BCG without staking for over 10,000 rounds. I check it every time I go into a big cleaning, about 2,000 rounds or so.

YMMV Every part not held by a pin and even those can come loose.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

Must finish getting in shape so I can run and gun...
I've always been athletic but am in the worst shape of my life. There were a couple large/ slow guys. The instructor stopped the class at one point to remind people to train like they'd fight. After a couple F-bombs and a few move w/ a purpose glares everyone was tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer
Staking is only needed when you dont have the time to properly inspect and maintain your firearm...as in Military or remote locations where tools become burdensome.

Every firearm will loosen up with use. Its up to the user to maintain that firearm. The onbly time I staked was when I was in the military. Now that I am a civy, I just maintain my weapons as I needed. Loctite + elbow power will keep any Castle Nut solid throughout a few thousand rounds. Proper Torque is all that is needed on the Gas Key Bolts. I have used the same BCG without staking for over 10,000 rounds. I check it every time I go into a big cleaning, about 2,000 rounds or so.

YMMV Every part not held by a pin and even those can come loose.
I'd rather have a stacked nut then carry a wrench. As in my case it was good when I left but after a few rounds worked it's way loose at the worst moment. It could come loose your in 10 rounds or 3k you never know. Doing it right is the better path. Solid for good is better than solid for a while. Less worry less exertion.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I've always been athletic but am in the worst shape of my life. There were a couple large/ slow guys. The instructor stopped the class at one point to remind people to train like they'd fight. After a couple F-bombs and a few move w/ a purpose glares everyone was tracking.

My idea of athletic, over the last few years, is getting up from my desk to get a cup of coffee and not having it brought to me. I've turned into a pencil pusher who's built like a damned Who from Whoville and don't know when the fat snuck up on me.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #10

LOL. I went from a 170 lb. construction worker working 60 hrs. a week and training MMA religiously to being a 197 lb. F/T student who spends most of his time behind a laptop and taking notes. It's a shock to they system when you go from one to the other but your caloric intake remains the same. Just get out and do it.