I'm new to AR's, should i go lefty or am I overthinking it?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I'm new to AR's, should i go lefty or am I overthinking it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I'm new to AR's, should i go lefty or am I overthinking it?

I've caught the fever recently and now I MUST HAVE an AR15. I saw a beautiful Stag at my local shop for about $900. Then I did a little research on Stag and found out that the owner is a lefty and they make lefties. However I cannot find one and I have a feeling that if I order one that I'm gonna pay extra for the LH version. Is it even worth it? Am I overthinking it? I just thought that if I'm gonna drop almost $1000 on something then I should get what I want. Then again I've shot standard (RH) semi-auto rifles all my life, no problems...thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #2

Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I recently bought a LH bolt action. I like it, but I'm not sure I'd buy another. It provides me no more benefit over a RH one. (I have both in bolt action) Same goes for my Beretta CX4. It comes set up for RH, and is totally adjustable to LH, no parts needed. I haven't done it yet..........

One thing about a BA rifle with a thumbhole stock.........none of your RH buddies can/will shoot it........

Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I'm a lefty. If I were buying a bolt action I wouldn't buy a LH model. If I were buying a DI AR style I would buy it LH. They expel a good amount gas out from the bcg and with a lefty using a RH rifle that is RIGHT in your face. Needless to say if you're looking at the model 8 (piston driven) I might not rush to get it LH. It's a few dollars more for an LH model and you bet you can spend that $$ more wisely (read as ammo, optics, other "needed" accessories).

I thought and thought about this when I was shopping my AR. I ended up with a PWS, which is a long stroke piston driven AR, there's a little bit of gases that you deal with but the bulk is expelled out the gas block. I added a Magpul BAD and i'm good to go. The shells NEVER hit me (well at least not in the face) as they're extracted and it's a bad ass rifle. Would a lefty version have been better? Maybe, but PWS doesn't make one only a small handful of manufacturers make a dedicated LH AR. And I don't k ow if I would have paid the up charge for it (usually its 10-15% more for a LH model).

Bottom line, for a DI rifle IMO its worth it to get the LH for a piston drive, not so much. Worst case is with a LH model you can tell your Friends they cant mess with it cuz they're righties.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayscat44 View Post
I've caught the fever recently and now I MUST HAVE an AR15. I saw a beautiful Stag at my local shop for about $900. Then I did a little research on Stag and found out that the owner is a lefty and they make lefties. However I cannot find one and I have a feeling that if I order one that I'm gonna pay extra for the LH version. Is it even worth it? Am I overthinking it? I just thought that if I'm gonna drop almost $1000 on something then I should get what I want. Then again I've shot standard (RH) semi-auto rifles all my life, no problems...thanks guys
the only thing about left hand models is that some of the parts are properietary. getting spares if something breaks isnt fun several years down the road. a good right hand eject AR15 doesnt matter if its shot left or right. the ejection pattern of spent shells should be in the 12.30 to 1.30 arc. too far forward or back or bouncing off the case deflector and that particualr AR needs some attention as something is out of wack.

ive had lefties shoot my AR15's and remark how pleasent it is not having to worry about getting smacked by the ejected cases. most cheaply put together (nothing to do with price) AR15 do not function correctly. even though they are cycling 100%

get what you want. if you want a lefty go for it!! left handed AR15 sell surprisingly fast if you decide later to sell it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For what its worth, I heard stag makes the best lefty ARs.

I'm a righty so I have no first hand experience....

Old 09-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
For what its worth, I heard stag makes the best lefty ARs.

I'm a righty so I have no first hand experience....
I would agree. They have great QC, their customer service is decent, And they have a lifetime warranty as well.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56