Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I'm about to get/build my first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm about to get/build my first AR

Hi guys, I know most of us here dont like obama but he did do one good thing. the first time home buyers tax credit is putting some much needed and wanted money in my hands in just a couple more weeks so i'm building my first AR. I found a complete stag lower for $225 and my local ffl transfer fee is $20. now the hard part choosing the caliber and length for my upper. this is where i need help guys please gimme your 2 cents. should I get the classic 223? or 6.8 or even 7.62x39? what are ammo prices like for the 6.8? are they hard to find? what are some advantages/ disadvantages for each round? also what are some advantages/ disadvantages of 16" or 20" barrel? thanks for any help guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2009, 01:36 AM   #2

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
Hi guys, I know most of us here dont like obama but he did do one good thing. the first time home buyers tax credit is putting some much needed and wanted money in my hands in just a couple more weeks so i'm building my first AR. I found a complete stag lower for $225 and my local ffl transfer fee is $20. now the hard part choosing the caliber and length for my upper. this is where i need help guys please gimme your 2 cents. should I get the classic 223? or 6.8 or even 7.62x39? what are ammo prices like for the 6.8? are they hard to find? what are some advantages/ disadvantages for each round? also what are some advantages/ disadvantages of 16" or 20" barrel? thanks for any help guys
7.62x39 and 5.45x39 both are corrosive for cheap Mil-surp rounds. 6.8 is about .60 a round. 5.56/.223 is down to about .31 a round.
5.45 is hands down the cheapest, if you use the correct platform, an AK. .14 a round. I would get a bulgarian built rifle. My Wasr2 Romanian is a great rifle. 5.45 is a great 200 yard cartridge. It is much cooler running than the 7.62x39.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you need instructions for assembling your AR, you might refer to Dillinger's post in the Knowledge Base from July of 2008. I'm doing the same thing (building an AR), and there are a lot of good guys in this forum who are happy to help.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I recommend going 5.56.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Unless you are also going to start re-loading your own ammo, or have connections at Silver State Armory (for 6.8 SPC - Silver State Armory manufactures and sells 6.8 SPC Ammunition and custom brass cases, 5.56 ammo, 7.62x51 ammo), 'no' they aren't the only ones who supply it, but one of the main ones - I would suggest staying with 5.56 for cost (cheaper), availability (more widely available - and in more weights and type of bullet), accessories, etc.

You can always add a complete upper in one of the other calibers (6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .204 Ruger, 7.62x39, 9mm, .450, .458 SOCOM, etc) later.

As for barrel length and gun configuration, that is something you need to decide, as far as what type of shooting you'll be doing most, if you'll be doing more longer range shooting - then you'd probably be better off with a longer barrel (18-24"). If you are going to be setting the gun up for close quarters, mainly shorter range target/plinking/etc, then a 16" barrel would probably be a better choice.

Mainly it comes down to what you want it to be able to do, what you want it to look like while you are doing it, and how much $$$'s you want to put into it, whether you want to buy it pre-built whole, pre-built in separate assemblies, or build it yourself from parts.

Slo

Old 12-19-2009, 04:59 AM   #6

right now i'm thinking i'm either getting a doublestar m4 from buds Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock .223 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $659.00 or get this stag lower here stag arms complete ar-15 lower receiver and couple it with this upper here Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Post-Ban Flat Top Barrel Assembly i pretty much can't afford more than that. i plan on upgrading as i go eventually getting a piston kit and quad rail then this kit here Get Out Of Dodge Tactical Package what do you guys think?

Old 12-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
right now i'm thinking i'm either getting a doublestar m4 from buds Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock .223 for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $659.00 or get this stag lower here stag arms complete ar-15 lower receiver and couple it with this upper here Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Post-Ban Flat Top Barrel Assembly i pretty much can't afford more than that. i plan on upgrading as i go eventually getting a piston kit and quad rail then this kit here Get Out Of Dodge Tactical Package what do you guys think?
Either the DoubleStar or the Stag-lower/DTI upper would be good. Not sure that I would spend the money on that "Tactical Package", but that's just me. If you think those components are what you would like on your gun, and suit your needs, then by all means do it. But for the money, I would probably go with something like the Vortex Strikefire red dot, for under $150. And then go from there as far as what else you want to add. my .02

Slo

Old 12-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default me too

Quote:
That's great, I have been thinking the same, but I'm pretty sure I want to go with .308 cause it seems like a good all around round I hope you keep us updated with your progress (pics) vendors, inside info from this site will be great. How long are you going to spend on it?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #9

i was thinking of 308 but its not in my budget but i seen a thing on tv about the m16 and its history from the m14 to the newest hk ar and they were talkin about how lethal the 5.56 is when it hits a body it starts tumbling and causes major damage and a big exit hole. im not sure if i want a 16" or 20" barrel what do you guys have on yours and why

Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default I went with 16" carbine

16" on the 5.56 but I'm thinking maybe 24" on the .308 here's the 16"