Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I'll apologize now AR noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default I'll apologize now AR noob

As the title says, I'm sorry... I know this has probably been beaten to death but I have been lurking on the forum for awhile now and for the past week reading every AR-15 thread I can find. Bottom line is I have a couple of questions that I need some help on.

1. 5.56 .223 Wylde and .223 is the .223 Wylde the only one you can shoot both 5.56 and .223? I have heard elsewhere that if you have a 5.56 you can shoot .223 but if you have a .223 you can't shoot 5.56 and the Wylde can shoot both. Can someone put this to bed for me once and for all?

2. If you have a milspec lower, can you put ANY milspec upper on it? Reason is I am looking to purchase an AR-15 (or build one) depending on responses. That being said I love options, I want .223 for cheaper practice but would like to be able to go a little bigger at some point as well without HAVING to purchase a new rifle. Whether that be 5.56 or 7.62x39 and on up. See question #1 right out of the gate having the option of both .223 and 5.56 will keep me satisfied just long enough for the wife not to realize I purchased another upper

3. Depending on price I am also looking at used options, for a noob how would one identify a decent used rifle vs. something that someone destroyed and is just trying to pawn off on and unsuspecting buyer?

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if this has been beaten like a dead horse. But as JD said in another thread he does like to hear himself talk.

Steve

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The Wylde chamber is a nice in between, therefore it will fire both w/ a little more accuracy, from how I understand it. 5.56 has more pressure thus possessing the ability to cause problems in a .223 barrel.

Yes you can use any mil spec upper receiver on a mil spec lower (there are some caliber restrictions based on design). At the moment I am using the same lower for a 5.56 upper and a .300BLK upper and sometimes even for a .22lr upper.

First I would stick to making purchases from a reputable site. Then research the persons history on that forum, past sales, old posts, post count, etc. Then look at the brand of rifle they are selling. Some rifles have a reputation for greater longevity and reliability.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So if you have a 5.56 upper can you shoot .223 without issues or is it just better overall to make sure you have the Wylde if you want to be able to shoot both?

Is there a chart somewhere that would explain what you can use with a milspec lower including restrictions and/or modifications needed that you're aware of?

Any used purchases I would make would be in person as I do not have an FFL nor do I know anyone in the area that I would trust completely. To clearify anything I can check on the gun to make sure it is in good working order?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Another quick question, the M&P15 Sport that is on sale right about now, does anyone know if that has a milspec lower? If nothing else that would give me a good starter gun then save up and build the next one.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

The .223 "Wylde" chamber is just a way of saying that the chamber will accept the pressures from both the 5.56 NATO and the .223 rem. Any chamber marked 5.56 will be suitable for .223 also. A chamber marked simply .223 may not be suitable for 5.56.

It's really not an issue anymore ulness you are buying parts that are very dated. Most everything nowadys is 5.56.

The AR market really takes care of folks. It's really hard to screw up.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #6

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Just to clarify. What mjkeat said is 100% correct re 5.56 vs .223 and the Wylde chamber but keep in mind it is the barrel, chamber and the barrel extensions that matter...an AR 15 upper and lower is mil-spec regardless of the caliber. That being said a 5.56 chamber has a longer throat before the "rifling" grabs the bullet...the Wylde chamber is somewhere in the middle. Using a .223 round in a 5.56 barrel will reduce accuracy, again the Wylde chamber attempts to minimize that. For general use and SHTF type shooting no big deal, for precision or long range shooting the barrel should match the round.

For the second part of your question, yes any AR15 mil-spec lower will pin to a mil-spec upper, only issue would be finish mismatch and possible sloppy fit if bargain bin parts are used. Functionality will not be affected, as long as all the holes and parts line up.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHOFREAK3 View Post
Any used purchases I would make would be in person as I do not have an FFL nor do I know anyone in the area that I would trust completely. To clearify anything I can check on the gun to make sure it is in good working order?
The bolt should tell all. . . from the face to the tail. The easiest thing is to simply field strip and inspect bolt lugs and chamber for fouling and/or erosion. Also the bolt tail is a good indicator as most of the fouling is scraped or brushed off of that area, if done improperly or excessively you'll see it If the guy took care of his gun. while you have the bolt out of the carrier (2 easy steps) look at the firing pin, that is also a good indicator of how much it's been shot.

The bore is a good place to look too, but its hard to explain how to inspect for strong rifling in words. You gotta see a really bad bore to know. Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you all for the great responses you guys are awesome. I am going tonight to the LGS to get some hands on experience.

The farthest distance I will be shooting would be 100 yards at this point so I am not completely concerned with accuracy yet. I figure either way I go I will get a 5.56 or a Wylde and after a few thousand rounds of .223 getting used to shooting a rifle I will worry a little more about accuracy and the 5.56.

Does it make sense to look for a M&P Sport first that way I can get a feel for how everything works then work on building my own for the second?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #9

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

If you're gonna learn might as well build the first one, at least the lower. This way you take that knowledge to your next one.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you for the input, I'm still debating. I guess it will wind up depending on what I can find tonight at the LGS.