If You Were in My Shoes. . . Opinion Thread.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > If You Were in My Shoes. . . Opinion Thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default If You Were in My Shoes. . . Opinion Thread.

I've ended up with some AR's and lots of parts and equipment, much of which I did not expect. I had a M4-gery damaged by a gunsmith (most of ya'll are hip to that scenario, so I won't wast space with details) to the point that it could be turned into anything from here on out. Since the role of that rifle is up in the air and I was gifted another rifle in the mean time, I have several possibilities for finished product(s) I'm asking for help finding identities for these rifles.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Here is what I'm working with:

RIFLE #1:
Bushmaster Dissipator 16" barrel, rifle length hand guards, carbine length gas system. Everything is bone stock, except some rails added to the stock hand-guards for accessories. I'm thinking leave it as a short range (0-200 yds) house gun, short range, first line of defense, maybe red-dot (the A2 irons rock on this one so night sights, which I'm looking at might just be as far as I go) laser/light combo, etc. SEE PIC #1

OK that was easy, NOW here's where I'm getting stuck.

RIFLE #2:
My first build was damn good. It was a BCM upper on a Spike's lower that came back damaged, it still has a good upper and lower and internal parts and is (was) decked out with accessories. The 14.5" barrel is questionable from the weld, but appears to be at the OK mark.

OPTION #1I could re-barrel it to something in the 18"-20", change the stock to one with a better cheek weld, mount a scope, probably my Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 x 42mm (w/ quick release mounts of course) on it and make this my tack driving mid range AR? I'd leave all accessories and components that are on it, just change the barrel mainly and scope it. All this would cost would be the barrel. I've thoroughly tested this gun and it functions flawlessly with ANY brand, type or case, weight, etc. You name the ammo out there, IT SHOOTS IT!

OPTION #2 Try again to have the thing worked on by a reputable (found one! ) gunsmith as it sits on 14.5" barrel and keep it as an M4 set up. With the barrel it has in it, the rifle grouped very well for a shorty ('bout 2.5" + or - 1" on a lead sled) and since it is a mid-length gas system it functions optimally in the 14.5"-18" range. It would take a red dot, light/laser combo, angled fore-grip, etc. (SEE 2nd PIC)

RIFLE #3:- new upper
Several Lowers! When AIM surplus had sales I bought 2 Spike's, which were above average for a forged lower as I used on my build. Also 2 "Surplus Arms Ammo". These were not quite as great as Spike's, but MORE THAN acceptable, but definitely WAY better than DPMS and just as good as a Del-ton, Double Star, etc.

OPTION #1:
SO I was putting an upper together in this order on a Daniel Defense A4 type upper, BCG and free float quad rail. I would barrel this depending on what I do with the BCM M-4 build that is in need of repair. If I leave that rifle (M4 set up) BCM upper in the M4 set up and save the barrel, I would put a 20" barrel on this upper and use the Nikon 2.5 -10 x 42mm until I can find a good Redfield, Nikon and completely devote this to precision.

OPTION #2:
As I was browsing around for parts I came across a killer deal at AIM for a Spike's upper, which is what the lower to this rifle would be. $499 for complete upper and their BCG included. Then I would have 2 mid-length gas M4 types. I would obviously set them up differently and I LOVE the set up. This would also cost about $200-$300 LESS than the above option. That's a piece of glass men.

I'd like to hear about and see some of the AR guys rifle set ups and the reason you got 'em and what type of use they get.

For Example: This is my Bushmaster 24" Varminter, it has a 6-18 x 50mm Scope and a Yankee Hill float tube supported by a Harris bi-pod.

I would appreciate the help and love to hear my fellow respected member's opinions. It took me a long time to write the above, I hope it wasn't for not!

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I say work with what you have in order to produce as many different variations of rifles for the greatest amount of fun.

I'm not up on the Dissipater dalima or the BCM/Spikes como issue. But I say have them fixed and enjoy. I personally want to build a dissipater on a midlength upper. Those things are awesome looking.

I purchased the Spikes middy in 5.56 that you're talking about and it was smooth. Mine happened to come with some engraving that wasn't advertised. A plus in my book. Anyway, that upper from Aim is a great value. Buy it throw on some irons and shoot.

This is my "do to" if the 1911 isn't able to dispatch the threat. Its a LWRC, 14.7" carbine piston, Troy 13" rail, Troy BUIS, UBR, H2 buffer, and EoTech XPS2. I chose this rifle because of the good reviews. The Troy rail allows me to get my support hand as far out as possible for greater stability. The EoTech allows for a widw range of sight shooting both eye open. Lastly the UBR balances everything out nicely shifting the weight off of my support hand. I usually run a light but it wasn't installed at the time this pic was taken. The chances of having to use either are slim but better prepared then not.

This is my x39 build. I was wanting something a little beefier than 5.56 and had a case of x39 laying around. Its fun to shoot but hasn't built the trust to be considered GTG for HD/SD. Its a 14.5" middy DI. I'm thinking of putting the EoTEch on this rifle and throwing this Aimpoint on the LWRC. Since I liked the Troy rail so much I went w/ it again. The MBUS work great and are around $130 cheaper then the Troy flip-ups. It also got a UBR for the same reasons. And of course a light for positive target recognition.

This will be my "Gamer." Its a Daniel Defense lower w/ various Magpul items and a Timmney trigger group. The idea was "as light as possible." The Magpul mid MOE HG was swapped out for a DD RIS II on the 14.5" LW upper w/ a BattleComp 1.5 comp. 3 weeks and counting on the upper from DD. The pinning/welding of the comp pushed back the delivery date. Like the others I'm using 2pt. padded Vickers Tac slings. As far as an optic I haven't decided. It'll either get one of the Aimpoints or the EoTech. For BUIS I went with another set of Troys. I might change out the DD lower for a Cav Arms MK II composite lower.

This is the Spikes. It was really nice. The AC'S balanced it out nicely and was lighter and almost half of what the UBR runs. I used a Lucid optic for this one. Although the optic was nice it was heavier then I desired. Again Troy was the choice for the rail an Magpul for the flip-ups.

Lastly though its still in transit I chose a CMMG dedicated .22lr. After figuring the $ savings I couldn't say no. This will go on the DD lower. It will also get a Troy non flip rear sight and the Magpul mid MOE originally meant for the DD upper. I plan to shoot the "pee-wadden" as my dad would say, out of this upper.

Last edited by mjkeat; 12-12-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Those all look like great service rifles/ target punchers, pretty much what mine were until someone wrenches your spokes. Then you have $1500 in a rifle that only has $500 in good parts available for use. What I'm looking at is stepping up an nothch or two from a production rifle. Not by choice, but because someone else forced me into this.

The dissipator is 100% perfectly functional, nothing needed, other than maybe some lights/lasers. This will be the house/100(+) yards gun. It proved itself today. Ate everything and showed it too!!!

It gets a little different when you're doing something other than just buying the rifle (or upper/lower) throwing an EOtech and some BUIS on it and calling it good.

My rifles get shot! Not only do they get shot, they get shot how they would in situations that may be less than ideal. Many times there is no (give it a good cleaning and see you next week.

The reason I posted this thread was to invite some AR experienced folks to help me out with a mess. (obviously not too many have showed up )

Of course it's best to throw an upper on everything. I wish I could do that, but my rifles gotta work in a specific way or they're useless.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2281 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 668

I appreciate the pictures but I still dont have a clue what your are talking about. At least I know who to ask if I ever get into this stuff. I do have an AR but I did not even kow about all these mods and builds. Its an education.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Those all look like great service rifles/ target punchers, pretty much what mine were until someone wrenches your spokes. Then you have $1500 in a rifle that only has $500 in good parts available for use. What I'm looking at is stepping up an nothch or two from a production rifle. Not by choice, but because someone else forced me into this.

The dissipator is 100% perfectly functional, nothing needed, other than maybe some lights/lasers. This will be the house/100(+) yards gun. It proved itself today. Ate everything and showed it too!!!

It gets a little different when you're doing something other than just buying the rifle (or upper/lower) throwing an EOtech and some BUIS on it and calling it good.

My rifles get shot! Not only do they get shot, they get shot how they would in situations that may be less than ideal. Many times there is no (give it a good cleaning and see you next week.

The reason I posted this thread was to invite some AR experienced folks to help me out with a mess. (obviously not too many have showed up )

Of course it's best to throw an upper on everything. I wish I could do that, but my rifles gotta work in a specific way or they're useless.
Im an ex 11B so running hard in less than ideal "situations" is something Im well accustomed to.

I guess Im a little confused on how you can "step-up" from a production rifle? To me its kinda like wanting to build a better automobile then, lets say, BMW. What is it youre looking to do? Are you wanting to piece together your own AR? I still stand by the fact that there arent a whole lot of people out there that can put together an AR better then the guys who make a living at it. Ive done a couple myself. Although I did a decent job its nothing like the attention to detail on my LWRC. But then again I have over $3000 in it.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I appreciate the pictures but I still dont have a clue what your are talking about. At least I know who to ask if I ever get into this stuff. I do have an AR but I did not even kow about all these mods and builds. Its an education.
Prior to purchasing my own the only eperience I had with M4/ARs was the Colt Bush bought for me. It had an M68, PEQ2 and nothing more. All I knew was the what they made me learn which could fit in that small pocket on the right side of your jeans.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

[quote=mjkeat;401917]
I guess Im a little confused on how you can "step-up" from a production rifle?

I may have used the term slightly out of context, but a production rifle is one of many i.e. DPMS, Armalite, Stag, Bushmaster, etc. While all great rifles, they are made on a production line and a specific amount of time is spent on function/finish testing before being put on the shelf. "Stepping Up" as I meant it would be using parts from a "Custom" builder i.e. Les Baer, La Rue tactical , POF, LWRC would probably fall into this category. These parts are hand fitted to the builder's own specifications, given the builder has a level of skill.

Quote:
I still stand by the fact that there arent a whole lot of people out there that can put together an AR better then the guys who make a living at it.
I agree. I probably fall into the line of folks that are outdone by your average production worker, however THAT is EXACTLY why I'm going after building more, different rifles, modifying those rifles and getting better and better.

It's not cheap or mistake free, but I sure have learned a lot and I'm not stopping anytime soon!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

[quote=diggsbakes;402774]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I guess Im a little confused on how you can "step-up" from a production rifle?

I may have used the term slightly out of context, but a production rifle is one of many i.e. DPMS, Armalite, Stag, Bushmaster, etc. While all great rifles, they are made on a production line and a specific amount of time is spent on function/finish testing before being put on the shelf. "Stepping Up" as I meant it would be using parts from a "Custom" builder i.e. Les Baer, La Rue tactical , POF, LWRC would probably fall into this category. These parts are hand fitted to the builder's own specifications, given the builder has a level of skill.

I agree. I probably fall into the line of folks that are outdone by your average production worker, however THAT is EXACTLY why I'm going after building more, different rifles, modifying those rifles and getting better and better.

It's not cheap or mistake free, but I sure have learned a lot and I'm not stopping anytime soon!
Makes since.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Diggs, have you thought about building something with a long barrel on it for varminting, long range, precision target shooting kind of stuff? A picture of my rifle:

07-28-10_1915-1-.jpg  

Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #10

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Y'know Diggs, honestly I'm confused by your OP and I wonder if others here aren't too. Very likely that may be why you're not getting a lot of input, I sure don't know what to suggest.

Maybe it's best to split this up to multiple threads on each rifle. The only thing I can add now and you already know it - sinking a lot of money into a specialty rifle turns into a money pit so you darn sure better have a focused plan and like the end result or you'll never get your money back out of it.