If i backorder an AR receiver and a ban goes thru, can i still receive my purchase?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > If i backorder an AR receiver and a ban goes thru, can i still receive my purchase?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default If i backorder an AR receiver and a ban goes thru, can i still receive my purchase?

I want to order and pay for my AR receiver as it is all that is currently available online, but they're on backorder. If I order it now and get in a few months when a ban goes through, will I be able to pick up by reciever?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Depends on what the final law says, if there is a law. Hypothetically if it prohibits the transfer or sale of receivers past lets say Feb 1st even if the receiver was manufactured prior to that date then no you wouldn't get your purchase. If the law says you can sell or transfer as long as it's made before Feb 1st then yes you would get it if it met that requirement. Too many what ifs right now to say though.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 28

it's called a gamble ! heck just get a 80% lower

Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Or you could request to pay for a backorder in advance, so you technically already own it before the alleged ban starts. But, the gov't is funny with its rules

Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2943 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

You do not "own" it until the 4473 is filed and approved. Stop freaking out about what MAY be.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2660 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

Resistance,

The only caution at this point is! What you order and pay for now may not be what you end up with! If you order now and have to pay I would get a written agreement with the Dealer that due to the potential changes that could be made by legislation you can get a refund? The issue is just for example in the past ban, you might order an AR today with a Flash Hider, 6 Position Tactical Stock, Bayonet Lug, 30 Round Magazine and so forth!
But by the time it is built and shipped it might have to be in compliance with the new restrictions as happened in the last ban and you could not have any of the above. If this ban comes through as expected? It will probably have some more restrictions on the ARs? Hope I am wrong and they have a difficult time being successful, but we have a lot of idiots in our government and those who are sheep in our society and believe anything anyone tells them and will go along with anything. As we know in this issue it is a mental illness and society problem that caused these incidents! Not the guns! They could have used a ball bat, knives, explosive device, fire bomb or an assortment of other means that would have been more devastating than a gun!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 01-05-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #7

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Resistance,

The only caution at this point is! What you order and pay for now may not be what you end up with! If you order now and have to pay I would get a written agreement with the Dealer that due to the potential changes that could be made by legislation you can get a refund? The issue is just for example in the past ban, you might order an AR today with a Flash Hider, 6 Position Tactical Stock, Bayonet Lug, 30 Round Magazine and so forth!
But by the time it is built and shipped it might have to be in compliance with the new restrictions as happened in the last ban and you could not have any of the above. If this ban comes through as expected? It will probably have some more restrictions on the ARs? Hope I am wrong and they have a difficult time being successful, but we have a lot of idiots in our government and those who are sheep in our society and believe anything anyone tells them and will go along with anything. As we know in this issue it is a mental illness and society problem that caused these incidents! Not the guns! They could have used a ball bat, knives, explosive device, fire bomb or an assortment of other means that would have been more devastating than a gun!

I see your point, however after having read the bill that Feinstein is bringing in for a vote, I don't see it passing as is. Which means it will have to be edited and reintroduced, likely several times before passing. Thing is, if you haven't gotten what you want yet, you're gonna have to pay out the ass for it, but on the other hand if you don't get it now you might not be able to later. Just depends on how you like playing the odds. I have no doubt some sort of ban will be enacted, all that's left is to sort out the details.

GP

Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2013 Times on 1382 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Right now I would wait. It's political suicide for the democrats to pass any major gun laws. They might improve or make the bar higher for background checks but I don't see anything major. I certainly don't see anything that won't be grandfathered. Obama might have his own beliefs but the democratic party is not going to let him get them all voted out of Washington DC. The liberal gun club is already saber rattling. They have a petition up stating they will vote republican if any crazy gun laws are passed. There are a lot more liberals who like their guns than you all might imagine.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

this ban will do nothing if it passes. liberals like guns. its the inferrior misinformed that dont. like women, men who like men and people who were persuaded to change their beliefs when obama came.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfan4141
this ban will do nothing if it passes. liberals like guns. its the inferrior misinformed that dont. like women, men who like men and people who were persuaded to change their beliefs when obama came.
I am not as hopeful as many others having lived thru the Stockton shooting of 5 children in 1989. That resulted in the Bush senior import ban. This time it feels much the same political climate. I hope I am wrong but I see at a minimum a high cap and semi auto ban that is much better thought out than the previous ban that allowed the manufacturers to circumvent the ban. This brought us no bayonet lugs, flash hiders pistol grips etc. They are much wiser this time.