If ARs get banned...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > If ARs get banned...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default If ARs get banned...

Will the production of parts also be banned(BCGs, firing pins, etc...)?
Also does anyone have an extra BCG for sale under 10000000 dollars. That's all I need to complete my build.
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8832 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

We fully expect that inside of the next 48 hours, possession of aluminum metal in any form will become a felony punished by 10 years as Rosie O'Donnell's love slave, and a fine of $1.89. Reynold's Wrap will be smuggled in from Canada, and aluminum beer cans will be black marketed for $50 each.

Right now the POLITICIANS have no idea what they are going to do- how the dickens do you expect any of US to have a good guess?

Have not seen a panic of these proportions since the bathroom door got stuck at the Prune Juice Taster's Festival.

In the meantime, take a deep breath, wait for the wailing, gnashing of teeth and the fainting to pass, and shop around for your BCG.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #3

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

... Rosie O'Donnell's love slave ... ???

Let's get back to Lucille!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Right now the POLITICIANS have no idea what they are going to do- how the dickens do you expect any of US to have a good guess?

Yup. you have 2 options.

1) Join the panic. Rush out and buy anything AR related that you can get your hands on, at whatever price they are asking. Why? Because they MIGHT pass a law that bans the sale of receivers, parts, magazines, ammo, and anything that LOOKS like a military style rifle, to include airsoft BB guns. If you plan on waiting it out, then you're going to be too late, because the backorder of parts is about a year long according to some manufacturers, and if you order now and plan to wait for the order to be filled, then a ban can be passed while you're waiting and you will never get what you want/need.

2) Sit back and relax. a ban won't happen, or if one does, it won't be all that limiting and you can still buy uppers, BCGs, lower parts, etc for stuff you already own. By waiting for this current panic to pass, you will let all the flippers looking to make a buck get hosed when demand drops, you can wait for manufacturers to catch up to demand, and you can buy yourself a complete AR for the same prices you could in October '12

If you gotta have it now, then you're going to pay for it and you may get "ripped off" when no ban is passed, and everything drops back to "normal" supply/demand prices from 2 months ago. But if you wait for the panic to subside, you could end up without anything because they do end up banning ARs completely.

Or, in a worst case scenario where the government is finally challenged and a rebellion/revolution is created...you could rush out and spend big money on an AR now, then they pass a law that says all AR type rifles must be turned in and confiscated for destruction.

Without a crystal ball, nobody knows what will happen, what they will do, or what you should do in response.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

Liked 505 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
We fully expect that inside of the next 48 hours, possession of aluminum metal in any form will become a felony punished by 10 years as Rosie O'Donnell's love slave, and a fine of $1.89. Reynold's Wrap will be smuggled in from Canada, and aluminum beer cans will be black marketed for $50 each.
I respectfully ask you not give the politicians any ideas.

However, it's kind of nice to have a preview of my nightmares tonight.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been looking for an upper and I feel im a bit too late. I refuse to pay 150 more for an upper because of this hype, I have decided to wait it out, and hope for the best. If they ban ARs ill go buy 2-3 firearms with the money I have and sell my stored up 223 ammo to purchase ammo for current firearms.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
... Rosie O'Donnell's love slave ... ???

Let's get back to Lucille!
Hey! It could be worse. It could be Hillary!

Winston Churchill
Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Hey! It could be worse. It could be Hillary!
No, no, no. You can have her, I don't want her!

I'll take George Kennedy's Lucille. (From another recent thread...)

Heck I'll take Thelma Lou...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfmus209 View Post
I have been looking for an upper and I feel im a bit too late. I refuse to pay 150 more for an upper because of this hype, I have decided to wait it out, and hope for the best. If they ban ARs ill go buy 2-3 firearms with the money I have and sell my stored up 223 ammo to purchase ammo for current firearms.
That would be an interesting debate. Since the upper isn't a "gun" persay, odds could be that "parts" would still be available. Or Feinstein, that heinous bitch, could try and take it all away. Who knows at this point

Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I think the people who are buying in a panic have not considered the possibility that irrespective of what they buy, the government can simply make possession of it illegal and then it really doesn't matter what you've purchased or at what price point. I'm waiting for prices to drop back to sane levels.

I believe the AWB is pretty much dead in the water. The votes aren't there in the house and if Obama decides to issue an executive order he'll find out rather quickly that the mandate that he thinks he has is more about what's going on between his ears than what John Q. Public really thinks.

There's lots of talk about burying guns, stockpiling ammunition, and civil disobedience if any type of confiscation or gun owner registration takes place. I liken this kinda talk to the AWB talk, just plain nonsense.

Personally, I've been at the range shooting what I have and stocking up on ammo in calibers that most people don't seem to care too much about. I've dusted off all my classics. My Colt SAA and Colt 357 revolvers seem to thrive in this apparent ammo and semi-automatic shortage. I have seen and purchased lots of .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .45 Colt for practice. I see lots of revolvers and bolt-action rifles for sale on GunBroker. My .30-06 Remington has lots of fodder available at Academy and Wal-Mart. The .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 Colt, .30-06, and 7.62x54R cartridges are apparently none too popular at my local Academy and Wal-Mart because there's ample stock there.

My 9MM Glock and 5.56MM Colt carbine have mostly sat this manufactured crisis out, though. The 9MM may be the most common pistol cartridge in the world, but if there's no stable supply available then revolvers start lookin mighty fine. I like to shoot what I have and I like to have options. If you already have an AR or two, you don't need more.

I say wait for the panic to end, shoot what you have, and work with what you have or can easily obtain at fair prices. For me, that means the semi-automatics sit in the safe and the revolvers and bolt-actions have a field day.