Idea for AR15 Upper - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Idea for AR15 Upper

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

11B3OJ3,

do you think there would be a better large pistol caliber round that would work in an AR upper? I am considering the possibility of having an AR custom made, and I want it to be a powerful pistol round. I dont have the "It's got to be the 500 or not at all" mindframe.

Also, would you say I'd be far better off just buying either a 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, or 50 Beowulf AR?

__________________

Last edited by ramitchel2012; 05-05-2013 at 01:56 AM.
ramitchel2012 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,933
Liked 7770 Times on 4214 Posts
Likes Given: 16430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramitchel2012

Also, would you say I'd be far better off just buying either a 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, or 50 Beowulf AR?
Do you reload?
__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Not at this moment in time, no

__________________
ramitchel2012 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #14
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,933
Liked 7770 Times on 4214 Posts
Likes Given: 16430

Default

You probably won't find any of those cartridges in stores. Except the .500 S&W magnum.

__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

That's disappointing to hear, I was not aware of that.

MisterMcCool, do you have any experience with AR's chambered for rounds other than the 223/5.56? If so, do you have any recommendations?

What I'm really looking for, honestly, is a rifle that i can take into the dismal swamp area in Suffolk along the VA/NC border, that I can use to take a whitetail, but in a caliber big enough to take down a black bear if the opportunity presented itself and i wouldn't have a caliber that would just slightly wound or even anger the bear. I'm not sure what caliber to go with

__________________
ramitchel2012 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,933
Liked 7770 Times on 4214 Posts
Likes Given: 16430

Default

Mine is .556 NATO. Is the .300 large enough for black bears?

__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramitchel2012 View Post
That's disappointing to hear, I was not aware of that.

MisterMcCool, do you have any experience with AR's chambered for rounds other than the 223/5.56? If so, do you have any recommendations?

What I'm really looking for, honestly, is a rifle that i can take into the dismal swamp area in Suffolk along the VA/NC border, that I can use to take a whitetail, but in a caliber big enough to take down a black bear if the opportunity presented itself and i wouldn't have a caliber that would just slightly wound or even anger the bear. I'm not sure what caliber to go with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramitchel2012 View Post
11B3OJ3,

do you think there would be a better large pistol caliber round that would work in an AR upper? I am considering the possibility of having an AR custom made, and I want it to be a powerful pistol round. I dont have the "It's got to be the 500 or not at all" mindframe.

Also, would you say I'd be far better off just buying either a 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, or 50 Beowulf AR?
any of these listed would probably suit you needs quite well. just realize that ammo for them isn't going to be cheap and readily available just everywhere.

certain cartridges are more suited to people who have fat wallets or reload.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Are you referring to the 300 blackout? if so, i have no experience with it, nor do I know anyone who has even shot one

how does it compare in power to 7.62x39?

__________________
ramitchel2012 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #19
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,933
Liked 7770 Times on 4214 Posts
Likes Given: 16430

Default

I don't know either.

__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,354
Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default

Is there such a thing as a .410 upper?

__________________
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
22 rifle or 22 upper for AR15 asmith2690 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 8 12-19-2012 05:05 PM
AR15 bull barrel upper ShagNasty1001 AR-15 Discussion 9 02-23-2012 11:52 PM
ID a AR15 Upper paulb AR-15 Discussion 17 02-21-2011 01:21 AM
AR15 upper 45 ACP JonM AR-15 Discussion 9 02-17-2011 09:41 PM
Adams AR15 upper good or bad? springfield AR-15 Discussion 3 10-25-2010 06:42 PM