ID a AR15 Upper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ID a AR15 Upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ID a AR15 Upper

Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing an Ar15 upper and need help on ID-ing it. The only markings the seller can find are 5.56 Nato 1/9 on barrel, and the barrel is 20". I am going to take a look at it on Monday. What else should I look for to help ID the maker?

Last edited by paulb; 02-19-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can't tell anything from that pic, other than it is definately and AR upper!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #3

where are the marking located on the bbl?

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing an Ar15 upper and need help on ID-ing it. The only markings the seller can find are 5.56 Nato 1/9 on barrel, and the barrel is 20". I am going to take a look at it on Monday. What else should I look for to help ID the maker?
Are you talking about an upper receiver, a barrel or a barreled receiver? A receiver and barrel can be, and most times are, from different manufacturers.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #5

Default Complete Upper

It's a complete upper, barrel receiver, carry handle, and sights. I am trying to upload a pic, but having problems resizing it.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #6

whtsmoke,

The markings are on the barrel.

ar.jpg  

Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
It's a complete upper, barrel receiver, carry handle, and sights. I am trying to upload a pic, but having problems resizing it.
No bolt carrier group or charging handle? How much are they asking for it?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #8

He is asking $400.
I didn't realize the bolt carrier group and charging handle are missing. I am new to AR's and don't know that much about them. I was planning to build my own lower and use this upper.
from what you see is $400 a good price? Is adding a bolt carrier group and charging handle something a novice can do?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
He is asking $400.
I didn't realize the bolt carrier group and charging handle are missing. I am new to AR's and don't know that much about them. I was planning to build my own lower and use this upper.
from what you see is $400 a good price? Is adding a bolt carrier group and charging handle something a novice can do?
Hell no its not a good price. You dont even know what brand it is. It could be some bubba gun made up of $200 worth of low quality parts. You can get a high quality upper minus BCG and CH for that price. You'll have $10-$20 in shipping but its well worth it.

Dont buy it dude.

Let us know what your use is going to be w/ the rifle and I bet you'll get all the help you need.

I forgot to answer youre last Q. Anyone can slip a BCG and CH into an AR. In fact you have to know how in order to clean it.

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-20-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Go to the Stag Arms website and look at some of their complete uppers. I think my last one from them was less than $450 and was complete.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."