Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I think im gonna paint my AR....need help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 568 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default I think im gonna paint my AR....need help!!!!

Im planning on painting my S&W Sport, and im just at a loss. I want a more modern camo (green, brown, black), but there is just too much to choose from. I was thinking some of you guys could help me.

If you have painted your AR id like to see it. Id also like to know what you used and how you did it.

Im just trying to get an idea.

thanks,
Kryptar19

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
hmh

Liked 128 Times on 88 Posts

Ultra flat krylon sponge brush with the end cut at different spaces. No black, black sticks out in nature. A good base coat of tan do the prep work take your time. Do not clear coat.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

I personally wouldnt do it but I like my rifles all black , all of them except my yote rifle . I only have one handgun thats not black and thats because it came in a trade and if it wasnt a dead nuts accurate pistol it would have found a new home .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Checked out Duracoat? They have quite a few patterns to pick form and supply the stencils (link)

I've not used the patterns but have coated a couple guns wit hit. The stuff gets tougher as time goes on.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 740 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Alot of guys that come in the shop use KRYLON/FUSION flat camo colors. Its made just for plastics.Prep with Brake-Kleen, gets surfaces perfectly clean of any oils/residue,prepped for paint.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 05-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #6

Liked 568 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Thanks for all the replies. I figured I'd have to wipe the rifle down with break cleaner, but is there any other prep work to be done?

I have looked at duracoat and I'm thinking about getting one of the easy spray stencils. Anyone got any experience with these kits?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

Remember this. If you do it in Krylon and dont like it , it was I'll be easy to remove with acetone. Duracoat not so much. Krylon is easy to touch up if it gets beat up

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

What Havoc says is true. Krylon can be removed if you do t like it. Easily is a subjective term, because very nook and cranny will have paint in it. But it does come off. Also with Krylon being pretty inexpensive, paint schemes and camo patterns can be changed for different seasons, just by adding some paint here and there over the existing coat.

As far as degreasing goes, I like to just use Dawn dish soap and hot water. Metal parts can go in a low temp oven, under 250. If you spray them while they are dry and warm the paint dries faster for follow up coats or colors.

Duracoat is good stuff, just remember that it needs to cure for a couple weeks before actually shooting, and that the low temp stuff often changes color on parts that get hot, like your barrel. Krylon will change color on the barrel too.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 962 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 530

After you clean it with the solvent (brake cleaner or whatever you're going to use) I recommend giving it a good wipe down with an alcohol wipe before painting it.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74
...I recommend giving it a good wipe down with an alcohol wipe before painting it.
Alcohol solves so many problems.

No offense and none taken