Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   I think im gonna paint my AR....need help!!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/i-think-im-gonna-paint-my-ar-need-help-91273/)

kryptar19 05-26-2013 02:21 AM

I think im gonna paint my AR....need help!!!!

Im planning on painting my S&W Sport, and im just at a loss. I want a more modern camo (green, brown, black), but there is just too much to choose from. I was thinking some of you guys could help me.

If you have painted your AR id like to see it. Id also like to know what you used and how you did it.

Im just trying to get an idea.

thanks,
Kryptar19

hmh 05-26-2013 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ultra flat krylon sponge brush with the end cut at different spaces. No black, black sticks out in nature. A good base coat of tan do the prep work take your time. Do not clear coat.

purehavoc 05-26-2013 02:26 AM

I personally wouldnt do it but I like my rifles all black , all of them except my yote rifle . I only have one handgun thats not black and thats because it came in a trade and if it wasnt a dead nuts accurate pistol it would have found a new home .

DrumJunkie 05-26-2013 02:26 AM

Checked out Duracoat? They have quite a few patterns to pick form and supply the stencils (link)

I've not used the patterns but have coated a couple guns wit hit. The stuff gets tougher as time goes on.

readygirl 05-26-2013 02:42 AM

Alot of guys that come in the shop use KRYLON/FUSION flat camo colors. Its made just for plastics.Prep with Brake-Kleen, gets surfaces perfectly clean of any oils/residue,prepped for paint.

kryptar19 05-26-2013 05:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I figured I'd have to wipe the rifle down with break cleaner, but is there any other prep work to be done?

I have looked at duracoat and I'm thinking about getting one of the easy spray stencils. Anyone got any experience with these kits?

purehavoc 05-26-2013 11:31 AM

Remember this. If you do it in Krylon and dont like it , it was I'll be easy to remove with acetone. Duracoat not so much. Krylon is easy to touch up if it gets beat up

SSGN_Doc 05-26-2013 01:02 PM

What Havoc says is true. Krylon can be removed if you do t like it. Easily is a subjective term, because very nook and cranny will have paint in it. But it does come off. Also with Krylon being pretty inexpensive, paint schemes and camo patterns can be changed for different seasons, just by adding some paint here and there over the existing coat.

As far as degreasing goes, I like to just use Dawn dish soap and hot water. Metal parts can go in a low temp oven, under 250. If you spray them while they are dry and warm the paint dries faster for follow up coats or colors.

Duracoat is good stuff, just remember that it needs to cure for a couple weeks before actually shooting, and that the low temp stuff often changes color on parts that get hot, like your barrel. Krylon will change color on the barrel too.

pawjr74 05-26-2013 04:27 PM

After you clean it with the solvent (brake cleaner or whatever you're going to use) I recommend giving it a good wipe down with an alcohol wipe before painting it.

MisterMcCool 05-26-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawjr74
...I recommend giving it a good wipe down with an alcohol wipe before painting it.

Alcohol solves so many problems. :)