Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I PULLED THE TRIGGER!! Purchased Lower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlarue1013 View Post
lol Got you guys. Got to give Q some mess!!!

Well, like I told ya Tikki and MJ... I'm gonna order that Noveske Gen 2 and put it on that Upper I just ordered from Rio Grande Arms and when the Spikes comes in I'm gonna probably go with something like the BCM 14.5" Regular Barrel w/ Daniel Defense 12" Lite Handgaurd with pinned Battle Comp 1 or 2
Make it a 1.5. We don't want you going to federal pound you in the ass prison.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #42

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Very good point MJ. The 1.5 is longer and will satisfy the 16" minumum requirements. Tho you have an extreme interesting way of putting it....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #43

Liked 729 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlarue1013 View Post
lol Got you guys. Got to give Q some mess!!!

Well, like I told ya Tikki and MJ... I'm gonna order that Noveske Gen 2 and put it on that Upper I just ordered from Rio Grande Arms and when the Spikes comes in I'm gonna probably go with something like the BCM 14.5" Regular Barrel w/ Daniel Defense 12" Lite Handgaurd with pinned Battle Comp 1 or 2
Yeah you got us! Sounds like a good plan. I like the idea of Noveske/DD for the more expensive rifle. Spikes/BCM no slouch as a daily driver to get the job done.

By the way, sounds like you have a great job and a great place to live!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #44

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about putting the DD upper on a Spikes or Noveske lower. There's almost no chance of a problem there. I have my DD on a S&W lower which works as well as it would on a DD lower. I joke that that AR is a Dan Wesson (or Danielle Wesson since your rifle needs a girl's name).

Not trying to bust up your build either Jason, it's just that the bolt to barrel extension fit is the only headspace adjustment so some of us like to go with the same brand of barrel/bolt. Tolerances are very good in most brands so it probably doesn't matter, I just go with the odds with something so important.

As MJ said you saved money on the build over a complete rifle even if it's just the 11% FET which can easily be over $100. Usually there are other savings too. And odds are you'll build a few more ARs so can mix and match uppers/lowers to get almost exactly what you want.

Myself, I'd rather do a build than buy complete. I can see the other side of the argument but like to say I did it myself and saved money. My first build was an ArmaLite upper on the S&W lower. Later I stumbled across a stripped ArmaLite lower on sale so grabbed it, stuffed in an ArmaLite LPK with A2 stock kit and married it to the ArmaLite upper - basically a factory rifle now. So if you ever see a DD lower, jump on it and use the Spikes/Noveske for another build. Sometimes I'm sorry I didn't get the DD lower from Smartgunner that MJ bought but it really doesn't matter function wise.
Thanks bud for clearing that up for me. I get info overload sometimes, especially after I'm thinking I'm heading in the right direction. But, I would much rather here the truth about things than someone to just smile and agree. Good stuff!!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #45

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
LAUGHING MY ASS OFF!!!! Good save!!! Good looking out and Tikki's right....hell of a way to put it

Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #46

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
AgentTikki, you're crossthreaded as usual!
>.<

That was just a Halloween costume. IT WAS A ONE TIME THING I SWEAR!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #47

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Very good point MJ. The 1.5 is longer and will satisfy the 16" minumum requirements. Tho you have an extreme interesting way of putting it....
Office Space the movie One of the best ever.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #48

Yeah that missing 1/2" could get you 72 bubbas!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
>.<

That was just a Halloween costume. IT WAS A ONE TIME THING I SWEAR!
You guys gotta go to the Glock forum to see him!

J/K