Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   I need an upper....someone stumbled on a good deal (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/i-need-upper-someone-stumbled-good-deal-26283/)

spittinfire 04-20-2010 07:30 PM

I need an upper....someone stumbled on a good deal

Title says it all, I need an upper. I'm currently eyeing this

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Flat Top Upper With M4 Feed Ramps (Complete)

My only requirement is M4 feed ramps and a flat top. Anyone here found a good deal recently or know of a good piece? I'm obviously on a budget which is the reason for this post.

Thanks guys.

Dillinger 04-20-2010 07:33 PM

Link doesn't have much in it. Just the upper & feed ramp? Or a built upper?

What's the end goal configuration again? 16" defense rifle?

spittinfire 04-20-2010 07:49 PM

Upper and feed ramp. I would like the forward assist and ejection port cover in it.

I think I'm going to go with a 20" barrel for a little more reach. I would really like an 18" but I'm finding more 20s. I will most likely be shooting middle weight bullets so I'm going 1:9. I don't varmint hunt but if a groundhog needs help finding the way out of the garden 55grs will do it. I want this rifle to be accurate so the bulk of my wad will be blown on the barrel, bolt/carrier and eventually some optics but to start off it will have iron sights.

m72law 04-20-2010 08:01 PM

check out Rguns.com they have some 18inch uppers but they are not cheap...they have a 16''upper on sale w/out bolt or charging handle for 250...makes me wish i wouldnt have sold my ar parts a while back or i could have thrown one of these rifles together for around 350.00 bucks...check out Sarco,Inc. also...they have some great deals on ar kits for around 450.00everything except the lower...i never would have thought AR's would be as cheap as AK's...well not yet...but they are getting close...:)

Dillinger 04-20-2010 08:07 PM

Well, I got nothing for you on the upper. Check with sloready45, he knows all the good deals and stays on top of who has what in stock.

For a good barrel that won't break the bank, I would look at White Oak Armament. You might have a problem finding a 1:9 twist from them though. I don't remember seeing one in a 20" model. However, we have put quite a few of them on rifles lately ( like since before the election ) and they have been shooting well with very little problems.

They aren't Krieger, but they are also a bit cheaper and still deliver the goods.

spittinfire 04-20-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 273044)
Well, I got nothing for you on the upper. Check with sloready45, he knows all the good deals and stays on top of who has what in stock.

For a good barrel that won't break the bank, I would look at White Oak Armament. You might have a problem finding a 1:9 twist from them though. I don't remember seeing one in a 20" model. However, we have put quite a few of them on rifles lately ( like since before the election ) and they have been shooting well with very little problems.

They aren't Krieger, but they are also a bit cheaper and still deliver the goods.

Would a different twist be better for middle weights? Or does White Oak just not make it? I'm still learning and trying to understand the whole rate of twist against bullet weight thing.

Dillinger 04-20-2010 08:39 PM

Well, here's the deal with that often batted around debate. A lot of it comes down to what chamber you are going with.

A NATO 5.56 Chamber or a Civilian .223 Chamber OR a Wylde Chamber?

The lower the number ( 1:7 ) means the bullet is going to make one full revolution in 7" of forward bullet travel. This is a faster spin rate.

A 1:9 means the bullet will make one complete 360 degree revolution in 9 inches of barrel travel. This is a slower twist rate.

If you shoot light weight bullets out of a fast twist rate barrel, you have the POTENTIAL if the right circumstances align, to overspin the bullet and cause it to break apart. Shooting real light varmint style bullets out of a 1:7 with real high heat for example.

Now, with the military stuff that is easy to find on shelves, that is more of a 5.56mm, 55gr or 62 gr round. A 1:8 or 1:9 would be fine for that. And I think you can go up to the 70+, maybe 80(?) grainers in that twist rate.

If you want to get a civilian chamber, .223, that ammo is going to be for lighter rounds ( down to something like 38 grains I think ) and so you want a slower twist, at least 1:9 or even 1:12 if you want to drop low and top out around 55 grain bullets.

Basically, if I was working with you on this build, I would have you choose a purpose ( you have ), then choose a caliber and a bullet that you expect to shoot the most of for YOUR situation, then get a chamber and barrel twist rate based on what you are shooting.

But, someone will be a lot shortly to dispute this and give you some other advice. :p

spittinfire 04-20-2010 08:42 PM

I know I want the middle weight bullets. I also want a 5.56 chamber. I want to be able to shoot military surplus.

Dillinger 04-20-2010 09:07 PM

Good call. I would opt for the 1:8 or 1:9. I think Krieger has a 1:7.7 twist that is rated for the medium rate bullets as well.

Military 5.56mm Chamber is the way I recommend for anyone that isn't building a varmint/reloading mission purpose AR.

lonyaeger 04-20-2010 10:54 PM

As previously mentioned, slowryde45 really knows his stuff and is happy to help anybody. I know he's been very busy lately and hasn't posted for quite a while, but maybe you should shoot him a PM, Spitty.