I need a plan for my build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I need a plan for my build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 389 Posts

Default I need a plan for my build

So I have a Noveske lower and just ordered the DD lpk. I know I want a good CHF barrel with mid length gas tube and a quality mil spec full auto BCG. My first question is about the buffer tube, spring and buffer. I think I need the carbine length for a mid length gas system but not sure. Anyway, I think figuring this out should be my next step.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Yes I would get a carbine buffer and spring and a heavy buffer and see what works and feels smoothest . I take my carbine buffers remove the weights and pour my own lead until I get the desired weight of what I found works best without any failures in that particular rifle . the lead will shrink when cooled quickly and it will come right out of the buffer . I have found that one middy I have will run a 4.2oz and the other only a 3.9 without failure , possible difference in gas port size or burr even in there . the stock carbine buffer weighs in at 3.0 oz
both of my middys ran fine with the 4.2 oz buffers but one wouldnt catch the bolt on the last shot , too heavy and short cycling , not enough to short cycle it while firing but just not enough to catch the bolt and hold it open .

Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Yes I would get a carbine buffer and spring and a heavy buffer and see what works and feels smoothest . I take my carbine buffers remove the weights and pour my own lead until I get the desired weight of what I found works best without any failures in that particular rifle . the lead will shrink when cooled quickly and it will come right out of the buffer . I have found that one middy I have will run a 4.2oz and the other only a 3.9 without failure , possible difference in gas port size or burr even in there . the stock carbine buffer weighs in at 3.0 oz
both of my middys ran fine with the 4.2 oz buffers but one wouldnt catch the bolt on the last shot , too heavy and short cycling , not enough to short cycle it while firing but just not enough to catch the bolt and hold it open .
So would you start a little on the light side and go up?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I started up and went down casting hot on cool lead doesnt work the best , when I dump out my lead weight I can always grind some off of it and take a little weight off at a time . 4.0 oz is where I would start and thats where most of the heavy buffers will already be at

Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I started up and went down casting hot on cool lead doesnt work the best , when I dump out my lead weight I can always grind some off of it and take a little weight off at a time . 4.0 oz is where I would start and thats where most of the heavy buffers will already be at
I'm glad building this thing is not only going to be cheap but also easy to get it right ;-)

Old 10-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

check out dsgarms. They have a very nice selection and butt stock packages that include requisite milspec or commerical tubes with carbine buffers with springs and end plate and castle nuts for very good prices (on the packages). I've purchased 4 packages myself and it always been the best price I could find on the web.

In regards to the tuning. I think pure's got it right if you can pour ur own lead. If you can't. Just buy low power ammo like wolf and then start using heavier buffers. I always start with a carbine weight, then try out a h1, then h2 or spike stt2, then a rra 9mm(very heavy, and because a h3 buffer is pretty stoopidly expensive). Don't start off with a buying a h1 or h2, only because you don't want to be stuck at the range the whole day with a rifle that won't cycle.

You can always tune ur rifle with full ower milspec stuff like m193 or m855 but be aware that if yourun lower power ammo like pmc or wolf or herter etc your rifle will probably short cycle.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So I went to a local shop to look at the ace Socom stock, see if I actually like it. I do, seems a little short but a thicker rubber pad should work. Anyway while I was there I figured I would pick the guys brain a little and buy a couple pmags for his time. He explained that the length of the Socom stock should be perfect because of how thick body Armor is, should fit me perfect... I bought my pmags and left... I am building an AR because I'm a guy and generally speaking cool guns are, um cool. But in real life I don't wear cammo or body Armor. I kinda think the guy was trying to be subtly insulting, whatever. I think I found a place not to shop at again.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Having a short stockis better for close encounters, as the shorter the faster you can rotate and transition. That's why most people like adjustible length stocks. You make it long and shot it from a bench, make it shorter if you are strapping on a chest plate and carrier ( or just a really thick padded bra) etc etc.

I honestly don't think the salesman was trying to insult you.
There are lots of civilians like you and me that own body armor. Its not as prhibitively expensive as you think. Now if only the price of helmets would go down.....