Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > i need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default i need help

I want to build my own 308 semi in AR style. I am very comfortable in the idea i can do this but i do not know the names of all the parts of a gun or even what I need or where to buy all these parts. I know someone somewhere can help a complete novice with this.... that being said any help would be great please mail me at with any advice u may have. thank you

Last edited by JonM; 09-13-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: removed email

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Welcome to FTF. Our members can point you in the right direction but there are questions that will need to be answered first. Starting with;
What is your budget?
What do you plan to use it for?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #3

Well budget is low but not in a hurry to build. So i figured over time on having probably 2 or 3 thousand in it.. as far as use it will be mostly target and recreation. I already have a bolt action 308 and love it then the idea of building my own ar hit me. I figure if i build my own not only can i have a nice rifle but it wont break me by trying to big one flat put....

Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

Thank you for the welcome
I just hope sometime i will be able to contribute to someone else while I'm on here

Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

You'll learn a lot here and its only a matter of time until a question pops up that you can answer. I'll leave actual part suggestions to our AR pros. They'll be by eventually.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Welcome fireman!! You actually a FM or just a screen name?
Good luck on your build, i look forward ti seeing how it turns out.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Welcome!

I think your project deserves it own thread. There are a bunch of stickies at the top of the list of this forum. All of the parts between an AR15 and its 308 counter part are named the same but most of the parts are different.

What you need to be careful of is that there is not set standard (unlike the ar15). So be careful as you research your parts list and make sure you components are compatible with one another.

Off the top of my head.

DPMS cheapest build type. Can be had for around $1g. Magpul makes cheap mags for this format. Most credible reports I've seen say accuracy potential is about 1 to 1.5 moa with match ammo. 2-3 moa with mil surp.

Armalite ar10. The original AR. Much higher accuracy potential, sub moa potential. Higher price tag, will not take magpul mags. Mags are more expensive harder to find. Noveske 308 and Knights Armaments are based off this format. Will probably set you back about $2 to 2.5g .

There are hybrids like the Mega. I don't have more info but its worth checking out.

And start a thread, list your parts, where you got them and why you chose them. I for one would love to follow it

Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

Yes i am a real fireman and thank you for the info i am starting my research now and think i may go with the fiery on u stated just do to the fact that it is cheaper and this will be my first build.. i really appreciate the help u have given

Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #9

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman44
Yes i am a real fireman and thank you for the info i am starting my research now and think i may go with the fiery on u stated just do to the fact that it is cheaper and this will be my first build.. i really appreciate the help u have given
Thank you for your service. I hope your build goes well, keep us updated