You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

I Know Nothing About LPKs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 508 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Although it seems all LPKs are the same, they really aren't. I've see too many pictures of broken DPMS bolt catches. Also, my friend broke the tabs off his alloy lower, when he was trying to install a triggerguard with an out of spec DPMS roll pin.

I'd highly recommend spending $10 extra bucks and getting at least a PSA (who sources their parts from FN's suppliers), Daniel Defense or G&R.
Thats kind of what i was trying to figure out, what makes some lpks junk and others good. This one they are claiming to be forged, but i couldnt find any info if that was a desired feature or not. It seems like this would be one of the better sets, but iust dont know for sure

Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1768

$175 for a stripped lower you love is not extravagant. So it's $50-75 over a plain jane lower, that's a drop in the bucket when you look at the cost of the complete rifle. You'll be glad you got the rollmark you really wanted plus it's the first thing your friends will look at when you say "how do you like my new build". If you don't get what you want, over the years it'll bug you until you finally sell it.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
Thats kind of what i was trying to figure out, what makes some lpks junk and others good. This one they are claiming to be forged, but i couldnt find any info if that was a desired feature or not. It seems like this would be one of the better sets, but iust dont know for sure
Usually it isn't specified whether lower parts kits use forged or billet components (besides, the type of steel is more important than how it was shaped). I just checked at BCM and their Stag, RRA and DPMS LPKs don't say. No doubt it depends on the part, a trigger or hammer will be different than roll pins and detents.

Even BCM's complete lower doesn't specify much about its LPK.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/117.htm

I'd get a good kit and not worry about it too much. Two LPKs I've used that I didn't like were DPMS and DTI, the Stag, ArmaLite and Daniel Defense were much better. The kit you're looking at sounds good with the upgraded parts (if you like those upgrades). I think you want it so just get it and enjoy building your new lower!

Last edited by Quentin; 08-19-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Usually it isn't specified whether lower parts kits use forged or billet components (besides, the type of steel is more important than how it was shaped). I just checked at BCM and their Stag, RRA and DPMS LPKs don't say. No doubt it depends on the part, a trigger or hammer will be different than roll pins and detents.

Even BCM's complete lower doesn't specify much about its LPK.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/117.htm

I'd get a good kit and not worry about it too much. Two LPKs I've used that I didn't like were DPMS and DTI, the Stag, ArmaLite and Daniel Defense were much better. The kit you're looking at sounds good with the upgraded parts (if you like those upgrades). I think you want it so just get it and enjoy building your new lower!
Heck yes i want it! i just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything obvious i should be avoiding. Thank you all for the help! Payday is wednesday
Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ah, a little enthusiasm... That's what I want to hear!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Dude that's a sweet lower and the LPK includes all the upgrades you'd probably want to the do anyway. Add spikes buffer tube assemly with an ST-T2 buffer and Magpul stock and that will be a really nice lower! I have a build with ALG QMS trigger and it's a nice improvement over most stock triggers.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spikes_Tactical_6pos_Milspec_Carbine_Stock_Kit_p/sp-sla500r-k.htm

It's out of stock now but get on the notification list as they do come back in stock often enough. There's other places around that may have them in stock now.

You may want to order a spare LPK before you even start the build as they are always good to have around and it's easy to launch the pivot pin detent into oblivion on your first build never to be found. Then you’ll be pissed you can’t finish it till you get more parts, I know this...don't ask how

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 08-20-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho
Dude that's a sweet lower and the LPK includes all the upgrades you'd probably want to the do anyway. Add spikes buffer tube assemly with an ST-T2 buffer and Magpul stock and that will be a really nice lower! I have a build with ALG QMS trigger and it's a nice improvement over most stock triggers.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spikes_Tactical_6pos_Milspec_Carbine_Stock_Kit_p/sp-sla500r-k.htm

It's out of stock now but get on the notification list as they do come back in stock often enough. There's other places around that may have them in stock now.

You may want to order a spare LPK before you even start the build as they are always good to have around and it's easy to launch the pivot pin detent into oblivion on your first build never to be found. Then you’ll be pissed you can’t finish it till you get more parts, I know this...don't ask how
Thanks! I actually had already chosen that exact buffer kit and i was going to do a CTR stock. As far as assembly goes, i just need some roll pin punches and a hammer right? Any specific hammer?

Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4124 Times on 2106 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Bolt stops from any maker will break if you snap the hammer against them. NEVER pull the trigger on a bare lower w/o controlling the hammer. It will snap the bolt stop with ease.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Bolt stops from any maker will break if you snap the hammer against them. NEVER pull the trigger on a bare lower w/o controlling the hammer. It will snap the bolt stop with ease.
That seems like important info to have. Thank you!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #20

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
Thanks! I actually had already chosen that exact buffer kit and i was going to do a CTR stock. As far as assembly goes, i just need some roll pin punches and a hammer right? Any specific hammer?
That is my go-to combo. Have it on four builds now with the enhanced buttpad.

For the hammer get a two sided one with metal/brass on one side and nylon on the the other. Other than that the roll pin punches and you're good to go for the lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Really, really good advice/reminder!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ