I just purchased this olympic AR good entry? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I just purchased this olympic AR good entry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Where I Cali are you?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #12

Uhmm there will be PROS and CONS on just about any rifle.. I'm new to this so I apologize if this particular rifle doesn't meet your guys standards.. I guys I'll just have to wait see how it turns out I'll post pictures when I take her out guys get it next weekend do PM me if you guys interested in being updated im excited Soo I'll just have to wait and see but thanks guys for your honest opinions and comments appreciate it..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #13

And sorry for horrible grammar in a rush to reply and it's from cell..

Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #14

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvega15 View Post
Uhmm there will be PROS and CONS on just about any rifle.. I'm new to this so I apologize if this particular rifle doesn't meet your guys standards.. I guys I'll just have to wait see how it turns out I'll post pictures when I take her out guys get it next weekend do PM me if you guys interested in being updated im excited Soo I'll just have to wait and see but thanks guys for your honest opinions and comments appreciate it..
Biggest thing to remember? You have gun snobs just like you have car snobs. You buy it, you shoot it. If you have fun, then it did it's job. Value is relative to the person that spends the money. Keep us updated.
Most on here just want to advise for future purchases, and the internet isn't conducive to sounding nice. Take nothing personally, as it is all pixelated opinions anyway.
Keep us advised on whether you like it or not.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #15

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Over $800 for an Oly, and a stripped ORC at that, does seem high though I don't know how much the CA ban affected that. I agree with the others who said learn from this and do a little better when you buy your next AR because you can get more gun for that price. Take your time and really get your money's worth next time. Always best to ask questions before you pull out the wallet.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvega15
No reason to be apologetic. Like I mentioned I can relate to wanting something and wanting it that very moment.

My comments were not out of snobbery I am just looking out for a fellow enthusiast because you will want another. They are fun to shoot and seem to multiply.

$824 is no small amount of money. In fact it can get you an AR from a well respected manufacturer that doesn't duck dodge and divert when confronted w/ questions dealing w/ their less than stellar track record but charging top tier prices.

Oly is not know for consistently producing a properly functioning AR. I really hope you received a properly built AR and it serves you well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #17

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Biggest thing to remember? You have gun snobs just like you have car snobs. You buy it, you shoot it. If you have fun, then it did it's job. Value is relative to the person that spends the money. Keep us updated.
Most on here just want to advise for future purchases, and the internet isn't conducive to sounding nice. Take nothing personally, as it is all pixelated opinions anyway.
Keep us advised on whether you like it or not.
^^THIS^^

824 after CA Sales tax is not a bad price for your Oly.

FYI - you have entered the realm of most accessorized, tweaked, and tinkered with platform in the world of guns. If your like most of us, you'll double that purchase price adding toys to it in the first year. Have fun!

Tack

Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvega15 View Post
Hey man, you worked hard for that money and you made a decision and bought what you wanted and no one should be able to make you feel bad for that. Congrats on your first evil black rifle and as others have stated there will be more >:-D as they are damn addictive!

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

^^THIS^^

FYI - you have entered the realm of most accessorized, tweaked, and tinkered with platform in the world of guns. If your like most of us, you'll double that purchase price adding toys to it in the first year. Have fun!

Tack
I don't want to sidetrack the OP's thread or start a debate but $824 is a bad price to pay for an Oly regardless of sales tax. Sales tax doesn't even have to come into play. Bypass sales tax for $20< in shipping costs.

All it takes is finding a good FFL w/ a reasonable transfer fee, timing, and a little patients. Hell, I purchased a complete BCM upper w/ pinned Battle Comp for $475 shipped. The muzzle devise alone would have cost me around $200 (pinning included), BCG $139, upper $399, charging handle $45, and MOE hand guard $30. I think it even came w/ a rear MBUS so add another $50. Add a $269 BCM lower and $50 MOE stock and you have a complete AR.

The DD was $1000 (complete upper) w/ the same muzzle device a $370 rail, and stripped DD lower. If you strip all the extras like the rail and muzzle devise the price would be fairly close to what the Oly cost. If you know ARs you know the huge jump in quality b/w them.

It's no fault of anyone. I've purchased things to find out later that there was better in the same price range.

Not trying to make anyone feel bad. I apologize that people are making the mistake of thinking that's what I'm doing.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #20

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
^^THIS^^

Tack

Lego's with a trigger!!!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?