Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I finally broke down and bought it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1116 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Default I finally broke down and bought it.

I've wanted a 458 SOCOM ever since they came out,but always had other things that came first.
I went to a gun show today looking to trade my Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt for a 40 S&W carry pistol.That didn't happen,but I did finally decide to buy a RRA 458 SOCOM upper to go on the spare lower in the safe.

The lower is a DPMS with a RRA 2 stage NM trigger and parts kit,with a Hogue grip and an Ace skeleton stock.
I changed out the buffer spring,and then put on the upper.Nice tight fit between the two.I dug out an old scope mount,along with a spare scope-a Redfield Partner 3-12x44,and set them up.

Now I'm just waiting for the Starline brass,Lee dies,and bullets to show up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a stout looking stick ya' got there.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Congrats Tx, she looks beautiful!

You will like that RRA .458 SOCOM upper. I have been pleased with mine. Wait till ya shoot her!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5329 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

congrats!! looks like mine!! when i was looking at dies for the socom i think i remember mixed reviews about the lee dies. i use redding dies for the 458. i bought two sets since i fkd up the first set by not enough case lube and stuck a case in one so badly i broke a case extractor on it.

be sure you dont crimp and seat at the same time. this is super critical for the socom. crimping has to be a seperate function. i broke a few cases trying it.

if you need load data i got the files marty terweem sent me or you can get it from him. i havent found any data in a current manual yet.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1116 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Thanks Jon,I was reading up on all of the different dies.I think everyone had some problems with getting things right when this caliber came out.
According to Lee,they have fixed their problems,and I've also read about over lubing the cases,no matter what brand of dies are used.

I'll try the Lee dies,and if I have problems I'll probably buy some of the C&H Tool dies.Those suckers are expensive-$128,but they are supposed to be the best out there.

I'm going to load some 300gr bullets to start with,and then I'll try some a little bigger.I know that a bunch of people shoot Barnes bullets,but you could'nt give me any of their stuff.I have never had any of their bullets shoot worth a damn.