Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I asked Bushmaster now I'll ask the experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default I asked Bushmaster now I'll ask the experts

This is the query I sent BM
I recently purchased a XM15-E2S M4/A3 and I want to mount a scope on the A3 type removable handle, I am looking on your website at the "A.R.M.S. #2 scope mount" that is part number 5855-01-299-777 will this fit my A3 type removable handle? I'm asking because I read on another website that it "will not" fit A3 but does fit A2 and A1 non removable handles

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #2

No it will not. Different width.
I dont know that you would want to do that anyway. You would have two parts between the scope and the rifle that are removable/adjustable, you would have a very difficult time maintaining zero doing that. If you put on and remove frequently. If you dont remove it very much or at all, you may as well mount the scope directly to the flat top.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #3

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

An AR15 does not weigh that much. I would ditch the carry handle, mount the scope on the flat top as Gus suggested and get a sling to carry the rifle with.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default I was thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus556 View Post
I dont know that you would want to do that anyway. .
There's my first mistake everytime I go to thinking.. no really I thought I would mount like a 1X red dot type scope to the handle and then get the quick mount A.R.M.S. #5 multibase and mount a regular type scope on it so when I wanted 1x I'd have it mount on the handle and when I go varmint hunting I'd simply pull off the handle with the scope on it and then mount the other scope that has been mounted on the A.R.M.S. #5 multibase it is a quick mount with easy zeroing. But it sound like I might need to rethink this. Thanks for the rapid response.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #5

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Well why didn't you say so? I was thinking maybe the AR weighed too much. LOL.

You could always get a 3-4x magnifier on a flip to side mount. Remove the handle, mount the red-dot and magnifier on the receiver. No messing and fussing with removing/installing parts and less likely to lose your zero.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default definitely an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Well why didn't you say so? I was thinking maybe the AR weighed too much. LOL.

You could always get a 3-4x magnifier on a flip to side mount. Remove the handle, mount the red-dot and magnifier on the receiver. No messing and fussing with removing/installing parts and less likely to lose your zero.
Yeah I am new to the AR world... but thats why I joined this forum I did a quick Google on "flip to side mount" found several possibilities... but I tell'ya they're sure proud of them Thanks

Old 10-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #7

Dog is correct, that would be the way to go.

Dont forget also, if you mount anything on that handle it is going to be pretty high up and that is difficult to keep your head in position especially with a collapsable stock. Such set ups are for fixed stock, fixed handle rifles where you can put cheek risers on to compensate for the height of the optic.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)