Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I am really afraid to ask this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default I am really afraid to ask this

As the title said, I have a question I need to ask and I know I might be overwhelmed with replies, but here goes. First I have never owned any AR. I am a classic arms collector who believes every good gun is entirely milled from a billet of steel and quartersawn walnut and built before WWII. I have been interested in gun construction for decades. So my question is, who builds a totally milled, every part, AR. What gun would you buy with these specifcations, cost be damned. I am not interested in building an AR, but would prefer to buy as manufactured.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

good luck with your quest.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4463 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I appreciate olderguns but milling doesnt equate with better. Its the fitting and finishing up after the rough cuts are made that distinguish a fine firearm from a so-so one.

A perfectly craptastic pos can be all hand built and a tack driving monstrosity can be made without human hands touching the parts during machining.

I would suggest larue tactical or pof as two top tier ar makers. I personally would go larue and their obr in 308 is my next rifle purchase

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #4

Larue makes some great rifles. I have a BCM that I put together that is also a damn good rifle.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #5

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
As the title said, I have a question I need to ask and I know I might be overwhelmed with replies, but here goes. First I have never owned any AR. I am a classic arms collector who believes every good gun is entirely milled from a billet of steel and quartersawn walnut and built before WWII. I have been interested in gun construction for decades. So my question is, who builds a totally milled, every part, AR. What gun would you buy with these specifcations, cost be damned. I am not interested in building an AR, but would prefer to buy as manufactured.
By every part do you mean both upper and lower receiver plus all trigger group, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle and sight parts...or just the receiver halves?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Larues PredatOBR has received good reviews. The Costa/Larue AR looks awesome. Daniel Defense makes the majority of their own stuff and are top of the pile in quality and service. BCM is a couple hundred less but is great awesome quality.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
By every part do you mean both upper and lower receiver plus all trigger group, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle and sight parts...or just the receiver halves?
I was hopeing for all parts, and if not milled at least forged parts. I am trying to learn. I have heard some uppers are stamped, some are cast, some are milled. Same with the lowers. I dont know if their was one PREMIER company manufacturing such a gun.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #8

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I was hopeing for all parts, and if not milled at least forged parts. I am trying to learn. I have heard some uppers are stamped, some are cast, some are milled. Same with the lowers. I dont know if their was one PREMIER company manufacturing such a gun.
Most receivers, upper and lower, are forged aluminum, not much of a market for cast or MIM type AR parts. As others have stated La Rue Tactical builds using matched CNC milled billet upper and lower. Then there are the custom shops who will build whatever your specs require.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #9

Not that milled is necessary - I would have recommended Sonju Industries - but they were bought out and no longer offer their matched/milled receiver sets.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #10

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

With the exception of platic receivers, most AR recievers are forged.

Billet receivers are more expensive and heavier but usually look a lot nicer.

To be honest, most receivers are of good quality and are there more for looks than anything else.

Notable exceptions are made for precision oriented ARs that may have strengthened uppers to handle the weight of long heavy barreled applications.

Look for a quality barrel and bolt first, everything else is pretty much window dressing.