Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   I am really afraid to ask this (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/i-am-really-afraid-ask-58300/)

30-30remchester 02-20-2012 03:06 AM

I am really afraid to ask this

As the title said, I have a question I need to ask and I know I might be overwhelmed with replies, but here goes. First I have never owned any AR. I am a classic arms collector who believes every good gun is entirely milled from a billet of steel and quartersawn walnut and built before WWII. I have been interested in gun construction for decades. So my question is, who builds a totally milled, every part, AR. What gun would you buy with these specifcations, cost be damned. I am not interested in building an AR, but would prefer to buy as manufactured.

rigjumpr 02-20-2012 03:09 AM

good luck with your quest.

JonM 02-20-2012 03:14 AM

I appreciate olderguns but milling doesnt equate with better. Its the fitting and finishing up after the rough cuts are made that distinguish a fine firearm from a so-so one.

A perfectly craptastic pos can be all hand built and a tack driving monstrosity can be made without human hands touching the parts during machining.

I would suggest larue tactical or pof as two top tier ar makers. I personally would go larue and their obr in 308 is my next rifle purchase

gigem2005 02-20-2012 03:18 AM

Larue makes some great rifles. I have a BCM that I put together that is also a damn good rifle.

Jpyle 02-20-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-30remchester (Post 714633)
As the title said, I have a question I need to ask and I know I might be overwhelmed with replies, but here goes. First I have never owned any AR. I am a classic arms collector who believes every good gun is entirely milled from a billet of steel and quartersawn walnut and built before WWII. I have been interested in gun construction for decades. So my question is, who builds a totally milled, every part, AR. What gun would you buy with these specifcations, cost be damned. I am not interested in building an AR, but would prefer to buy as manufactured.

By every part do you mean both upper and lower receiver plus all trigger group, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle and sight parts...or just the receiver halves?

mjkeat 02-20-2012 03:30 AM

Larues PredatOBR has received good reviews. The Costa/Larue AR looks awesome. Daniel Defense makes the majority of their own stuff and are top of the pile in quality and service. BCM is a couple hundred less but is great awesome quality.

30-30remchester 02-20-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 714649)
By every part do you mean both upper and lower receiver plus all trigger group, bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle and sight parts...or just the receiver halves?

I was hopeing for all parts, and if not milled at least forged parts. I am trying to learn. I have heard some uppers are stamped, some are cast, some are milled. Same with the lowers. I dont know if their was one PREMIER company manufacturing such a gun.

Jpyle 02-20-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-30remchester (Post 714679)
I was hopeing for all parts, and if not milled at least forged parts. I am trying to learn. I have heard some uppers are stamped, some are cast, some are milled. Same with the lowers. I dont know if their was one PREMIER company manufacturing such a gun.

Most receivers, upper and lower, are forged aluminum, not much of a market for cast or MIM type AR parts. As others have stated La Rue Tactical builds using matched CNC milled billet upper and lower. Then there are the custom shops who will build whatever your specs require.

lunarmanathome 03-02-2012 06:35 PM

Not that milled is necessary - I would have recommended Sonju Industries - but they were bought out and no longer offer their matched/milled receiver sets.

AgentTikki 03-02-2012 07:01 PM

With the exception of platic receivers, most AR recievers are forged.

Billet receivers are more expensive and heavier but usually look a lot nicer.

To be honest, most receivers are of good quality and are there more for looks than anything else.

Notable exceptions are made for precision oriented ARs that may have strengthened uppers to handle the weight of long heavy barreled applications.

Look for a quality barrel and bolt first, everything else is pretty much window dressing.