I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR. Good or still sub-par? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR. Good or still sub-par?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

the aie guns have to be atleast 40 caliber i believe, we can also use the atlatl.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #42

Ok guys, I'm pretty much done, Got almost 1000 rounds through it, added a sling, EOtech with GGG covers and throw lever, and Midwest trim ring, all total $2200. I'm loving it, and thanks for all the help in the past. I may be looking for a more high end bolt and BCG, if you guys can recommend some.
new-ar.jpg   side-ar.jpg  

Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 AM   #43

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjandpurge View Post
Wow. Air rifles? It's been a while since i have seen an air rifle I guess.
Quackenbush Air Guns

I think the photos on the front page illustrate their capacity. BADASS!
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Very nice, benjandpurge. Looks like you have a great rifle!

If you do want a top of the line BCG I highly recomment Daniel Defense. I got one from gandrtactical.com for $129 plus about $7 shipping. Excellent quality and is fully milspect right down to the M16 carrier. BCM also is one to look at for about the same price. I think the DD is slightly better finished though. LMT is top notch as well but has a MIM carrier key that troubles some people though LMT claims it's better than other keys.

I put the DD BCG in my ArmaLite upper and put its original BCG aside as a more than adequate spare. Both have performed flawlessly but I do have more peace of mind with the most crucial component group being the best that money can buy. And having a spare of this most critical part.

ETA: Alas, they are out of stock now...
Daniel Defense M16 Bolt Carrier Group (OUT OF STOCK) at G&R Tactical bolt carrier%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemp lates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Last edited by Quentin; 10-11-2010 at 05:09 AM.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #45

Ok, you echoed my sentiments, the more I have learned about AR-15s the more I see that the BCG and bolt being a highly crucial part in the equation. While my Oly is good I'm sure, I do also want that peace of mind. and having a spare is a good idea, I didn't think that far ahead. I'll keep looking around for the DD BCG, also what about Spikes, are they decent? They seem to be used alot as far as I can see.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #46

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16----$139.95
BCM® (MPI) complete bolt carrier group is fully assembled.
Bolt carrier group (auto version) for your AR15, M16, or M4. Parkerized exterior and chrome lined inside carrier. Machined to USGI specifications. This M16/M4 carrier includes the proper Mil-Spec gas key. Gas key is chrome lined and heat treated per GI specifications. Gas key is secured to carrier via USGI domestic mfg Grade 8 fasteners and properly staked per Mil-Specs. These properly hardened parts insure a strong staking and proper gas system functioning.

The bolt assembly is machined from the correct Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® steel, shot peened for increased strength, includes tool steel machined extractor and ejector, BCM Extractor Spring, and is HPT (High Pressure Tested) and MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjandpurge View Post
Ok, you echoed my sentiments, the more I have learned about AR-15s the more I see that the BCG and bolt being a highly crucial part in the equation. While my Oly is good I'm sure, I do also want that peace of mind. and having a spare is a good idea, I didn't think that far ahead. I'll keep looking around for the DD BCG, also what about Spikes, are they decent? They seem to be used alot as far as I can see.
I can only speak of Spikes second hand but many people include Spikes Tactical in that elite group of BCM, DD and Colt BCGs. The specs that Gate posted above are what you're looking for if you want the best.

Oh another thing about LMT that I forgot earlier, their BCG no longer comes with an M16 bolt carrier. Same goes for some Colt BCGs but their milspec ones are good. If you're after the best BCG you really want the M16 or sometimes called FA carrier as it smoothes out cycling operation. Though it is a full auto part the BATF does not seem concerned about it since it's in the upper receiver. They are VERY concerned about FA parts in the lower receiver!

Also an H-buffer with appropriate action spring is a good upgrade to "M4" carbines that don't originally come with one. Of course with any changes like this you'd want to be certain the rifle still is reliable with the ammo you use.

The hard part about all this is we're talking about a rifle - your rifle - that functions perfectly. It's hard to justify upgrading components but then peace of mind is important. Also, I suspect you're the kind of guy, like many of us here, who will build an AR down the road. That's when those extra parts in the parts bin really come in handy!

ETA:
This link details the lengths that BCM goes to in building their fine ARs. The 3rd post gets in to the BCG.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55930

Last edited by Quentin; 10-11-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #48

Hey, I know this threads old but I figured I would ask a couple questions before I bought an Olympus AR. This thread was probably the deciding factor in helping me make up my mind.

One of my first and probably main question is how does this AR hold up in cold weather? I plan on using my AR for coyote / varmint and predator hunting along with possibly a few wolves. Temperatures can range into steep negatives -30 to -40 range without windchills, which out here in North Dakota can bring into -60s. I currently use a .243 Remington bolt action and tired of 3-4 yotes coming in and only getting one. It's an all synthetic stock and soon as it hits the cold turns into a white frost icicle. Never had a prob but looking for semi auto in .223/556 for more shots on target. Hence my move towards an AR.

When I purchase my AR (still trying to decide on model) I am looking for somewhere in the 3 to 4 lb trigger pull range, is this a difficult modification to do myself? I want at the least a 20" barrel. In the long run looking for a durable, rugged weapon that will perform in **** conditions. I plan to spend 1k- 1.5k between the AR complete not including glass and accessories. So many AR's in that range today making a decision without range time is a daunting task. Why I have came here where others with more experience to share.

Another question I had what uppers match up well with an Olympus lower? If any of you have reputable sites to order uppers/ lowers from I would appreciate that as well.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Last edited by Phoenix25; 12-11-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #49

Liked 542 Times on 320 Posts

If its a mil spec lower then most mil spec uppers should match up fine. Youre right...there are so many good manufacturers out there now for the AR platform. BCM is great. Daniel Defense is top notch too. If youre in the price range north of 1k and you already have the lower, then you have some nice high quality upper options for that price. Bcm, daniel defense, pws, colt....the list goes on. I know a lot of guys here are going to recommend BCM.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #50

Liked 542 Times on 320 Posts

Oh, and if you want a nice trigger, it looks like your price range allows plenty of room for a CMC trigger. I hear awesome things about their flat bow triggers.