I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR. Good or still sub-par? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR. Good or still sub-par?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Function has been flawless so far, but I've only put about 250 rounds through it so far. And sorry about the bad-quality phone picture, I gotta get some proper ones soon, But yeah I liked that stock too, I liked the look of it, and I really like how it feels to shoot and it doesn't rattle at all. I learned a valuable lesson on commercial and "mil-spec" buffer tubes with that one! And for 50 bucks less I didn't get the CTR, even though it has the extra lock latch. I'm actually going on a vessel next weekend to help clean up the oil, so I'll put some more rounds through it when I get back. And maybe a big-boy scope or EOtech soon!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #22

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Some follow up here. I now own two DPMS and my RRA build. THe OLY was a much tighter fit than either DMPS. They run fine, but upper-to-lower tolerances are pretty loose. They each have an Accu-wedge.

getting the pins out of the DPMS are a dream compared to the OLY. dissasembly was a two person job on the OLY. One guy to squeeze the upper and lower together, the other guy pushed pins. I dont like them loose.

I miss my OLY.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #23

Liked 238 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 340

I only owned bushmasters and DPMS's until last year when I bought my last AR. It was an Olympic Arms with the bull barrel and the big aluminum handguard. I bought a DoubleStar upper to put on it so it would be a little lighter. I have not been more pleased with an AR yet. It will be hard for me to buy something other than an Olympic Arms when I go out to buy another.

With that DoubleStar upper, I can get 5/8" groups at 100 yards (five shot groups) with my FACOG! I love it...

Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #24

I am actually embracing the fact that Oly doesn't chrome the barrels, should be interesting so see if that actually helps accuracy. Gonna try to compare it with a similar chrome lined barrel Bushmaster.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Glad to hear?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Glad to hear that folks are actually trying an Olympic unit and comparing it against Colt, Bushmaster and others? In the end, the performance is whats co8unts and while mine is a Franken AR witha Rock River Lower and a a 20" super match upper, I have yet to find a Better shooting AR! One shou;ld remember How Olympic and Bushmaster and SO MANY OTHERS got thier ATART? When COLT was UNABLE TO FILL CONTRACTS OR SIMPLY CONTRACTED OUT, these folkjs made parts for them, If they are good enough for Colt and the Over inflated Price they ask for an AR, then an Olympic or Bushmaster is well good enough for me and more Importanly, TESTING BEARS THAT OUT! Believe the Truth, not the hype or "War Stories of folks that never owned one or shot one, But they heard it did this or that"? Just my opinion, but one born with facts and truth!

RON

Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #26

I couldn't agree more Ron, and I think It would be poetic justice when finally evidence showing that chrome introduces inconsistencies in the barrel and accuracy suffers as opposed to a non-chromed barrel. I have seen these multiple tier AR charts, and The fact that they even exist is that someone wants to: Spend $3000 + on an AR-15.
Stand there and admire how wise they are
reach an epiphany that now they must share this wisdom
create a chart showing how much better thier AR-15 is than yours
now, sit back in smugness and condescension because they somehow have to justify spending that kind of money, when I'm having just as much fun with less than half that money and zero guilt.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glad to hear that you al have had good luck with Olympic Arms componenets. My next AR 15 is going to have one of their .300 WSSM uppers, but I have to complete building the girl friend's AR first, that's going to be her Christmas present.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #28

oly is as good as anything else out there.

maybe better.

0a2.org oly talk board

Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1658 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjandpurge View Post
I couldn't agree more Ron, and I think It would be poetic justice when finally evidence showing that chrome introduces inconsistencies in the barrel and accuracy suffers as opposed to a non-chromed barrel. I have seen these multiple tier AR charts, and The fact that they even exist is that someone wants to: Spend $3000 + on an AR-15.
Stand there and admire how wise they are
reach an epiphany that now they must share this wisdom
create a chart showing how much better thier AR-15 is than yours
now, sit back in smugness and condescension because they somehow have to justify spending that kind of money, when I'm having just as much fun with less than half that money and zero guilt.
I wouldn't be too critical of the M4 Chart, I found it very helpful when selecting parts for my AR. For example you can make it simple at first by ignoring every specification except the bolt carrier group. When for $135 you can buy a true milspec BCG that scores 6 out of 6 in this crucial category why go with something $10-20 cheaper that gets 0 out of 6?

Also forget about $3000+, right now $800-900 can build you a rifle that scores 21 out of 21 on the chart. That means something to me.

Not knocking any rifle that scores low, it probably will work fine but it makes sense to spend an hour figuring out the chart since it's free and does help you buy or build a great rifle.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #30

Got some new stuff, also got a EOtech 552 from a friend, gonna try that out soon.
my-ar-1.jpg