I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR. Good or still sub-par?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR. Good or still sub-par?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR. Good or still sub-par?

I am considering purchasing an Olympic AR and have read horror stories in some threads. I would like any real FIRST-HAND opinions on these rifles, not my brother-in-law's roomate's cousin had one and blew up. This gun is brand new in a gun store, 16" barrel carbine, flatop. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have personally assembled over 2 dozen Olympic Arms AR-15 receivers into perfectly fine working guns.

I have heard these horror stories too, but aside from some problems with growing too fast many years ago ( like a dozen ) I haven't seen a "horror story" gun first hand and I work in a gun and AR-15 that deals with police, military and a lot of general shooting public.

I personally own two Olympic receivers, one that is a full built gun and the other is in limbo / in progress while I decide what the hell to do with it.

Any fully built gun, at the factory, has a chance of having something wrong with them.

That being said, the new AR stuff is so tight in tolerance from unit to unit, that replacements parts and simple tweaking is something that ANYONE can do.

We have, probably, 12 members that have come here with NO AR knowledge, asked a few questions, and built perfectly good SHTF weapons from parts ordered all over the interwebz.

I would suggest building one yourself to be honest. You learn more, you will know more and you will be better able to take care of the damn thing when you are done.

JD

Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #3

Yeah, I wanted to build one, and I will soon when I have time, but now I will buy a pre-assembled gun just so I have one in the house prior to any legislation that should arise. When I do get it, Im gonna swap a few parts and that will require taking it apart, because like you said, that's how you learn and I totally agree. You sort of echoed what a few friends of mine who built their own have said. I would never, ever buy a pre-built computer, I build my own, so I do understand. I just don't want to get to a point customizing the gun where it's like, "you should have got a bushmaster, or a Rock River, you wouldnt have had this problem" stuff. I do know that any gun from any manufacturer could have issues, but I was just wondering as a whole how Olympic has fared in the market recently. Thank you for your opinion.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Don't Buy the Hype?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I tire of all posts that seem to be down on Olympic Arms parts or Rifles? I don't have the Experience that JD Has or a few others, but my Current AR is a Franken AR built with a 20" Super match upper and a Rock River lower! I've owned Bushmasters, as well as Colts and others, OLYMPIC as well as a few others Made and SOLD PARTS TO COLT, so Please spare me the I ONLY OWN Such and SUCH AR's? Build what ya like or Buy and enjoy, it won't be a problem! Let us know how it goes if you Buy the Oly and I hope all works for you!

RON

Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, how is this?

I am a Mod here. This is my only forum. The people here know me and they know I am good to my word. I would ask any member reading this to comment on that fact.

I live, work and also play in a gunshop in Washington State. Olympic Arms is about an hour down the road.

Buy the Olympic for the price you want.

Shoot it. Run some ammo through it that isn't Soviet or Chinese or Wolf steel case. I am talking decent AR stuff that isn't out of the bargain bin.

If you don't like the performance, send it to me and I will give you the first $100 of labor to "fix" whatever is necessary to get it to perform in a SHTF situation. Shop time is $75/hour, but I will give you (2) hours of my time for this deal.

I am not going to guarantee accuracy, I am not going to get you shooting 1/4 MOA groups out of your 16" barrel, but I will see to it that you can hit center mass of a man sized target in SHTF sitations (0-200 yards)

IF

The weapon doesn't perform as advertised.

How's that for putting my money where Olympic's mouth is? Because, like Ron, I am tired of seeing these BS posts about Olympic is shi'ite and they never made a good AR.

I'm JD, and I stand behind this statement. It is good until the end of January 2010 for this poster, benjandpurge

Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay, how is this?

I am a Mod here. This is my only forum. The people here know me and they know I am good to my word. I would ask any member reading this to comment on that fact.

I live, work and also play in a gunshop in Washington State. Olympic Arms is about an hour down the road.

Buy the Olympic for the price you want.

Shoot it. Run some ammo through it that isn't Soviet or Chinese or Wolf steel case. I am talking decent AR stuff that isn't out of the bargain bin.

If you don't like the performance, send it to me and I will give you the first $100 of labor to "fix" whatever is necessary to get it to perform in a SHTF situation. Shop time is $75/hour, but I will give you (2) hours of my time for this deal.

I am not going to guarantee accuracy, I am not going to get you shooting 1/4 MOA groups out of your 16" barrel, but I will see to it that you can hit center mass of a man sized target in SHTF sitations (0-200 yards)

IF

The weapon doesn't perform as advertised.

How's that for putting my money where Olympic's mouth is? Because, like Ron, I am tired of seeing these BS posts about Olympic is shi'ite and they never made a good AR.

I'm JD, and I stand behind this statement. It is good until the end of January 2010 for this poster, benjandpurge
Man, I sure got a better feeling about my purchase now! I put this gun on a lay away deal that my local gun store offered, so it will be a couple months. I appreciate the offer and more than that it inspires some confidence in the brand of gun I chose. I saw Colts, Smith a wesson, I fondled them, I just didnt see that if these were all mil-spec rifles how much difference there really was. I don't need to shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards, I wanna put a red dot on it and knock down metal targets with it. That's it. and if the SHTF I'll be OK for that too. I don't know enough about the different brands to say which one is better or not, I guess I just was creeping around in the wrong forums. Thanks guys.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:14 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Well said jd!

Well Said JD!]]

In A WORLD OF FOLKS THAT TALK ****, YOU DO NOT! THANKS MAN!

RON

Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Oly arms was the largest manufacturing company of AR15s in the world before Remington bought them out.

Now they are the largest manufacturing company, owned by the largest conglomerate of AR manufacturers in the world.

Oly Arms was the first AR I owned, I loved it. I kept it so damned meticulously clean. It still looked brand new when I sold it.

A lot of people ****-talk oly as they do not chrome line their barrels. If it was a full auto machine gun, I might care. But its not, so I don't.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I will vouch that J.D. is indeed the man.

Indeed, my faith in him is such that I am sending him a Mosin, and know that I shall have a functional AR returned to me.

Jokes aside, my only Olympic experience had to do with crappy sights, everything else functioned A-1.

Even ran the dreaded Wolf through it without a hiccup.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:43 AM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I’ve never owned or dealt with an Olympic AR, however, I trust JD’s word and you can take it to the bank. If you want an Olympic buy it with confidence.