Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hws battery failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Default Hws battery failure

This has probably been coverd a number of times and I apologize. I have had my rra for 2 years. I love the features of eotech xps 2. I also love the feature of the Burris ar 332 because of the default " to black reticle" during battery failure. However I hate the "busyness" of the ar 332 reticle. Anyone know of any optics that have the best of both worlds? I want a simple reticle with illumination capability for the reticle but also a default reticle "black" when the bAtteries have crapped the bed. Around 500$. Thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5130 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 312

used acog. no batteries needed. getting the tritium recharged isnt that pricey and trijicon sends em back in a like new condition.

but buying a acog off ebay or gunbroker is very much buyer beware. lots of fakes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I believe leupold makes a prism sight. Pricy though. The reticle is much less busy than the burris. Still has the illumination option with black etched reticle.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Vortex viper PST 1-4x.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. While I appreciate everything I think I should have bees more specific in stating I also love the compact design of the eotech

Old 05-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

Just get an aimpoint. 4+ years battery life. Change it every 3 years. Leave it on all the time. I have one on for over 2 years right now. Gonna change it at the end of the year. Legendary durability.

You want compact, get the micro h1 or t1. 4 or 2 moa dot.

Can't beat that.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

Liked 1922 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Just get an aimpoint. 4+ years battery life. Change it every 3 years. Leave it on all the time. I have one on for over 2 years right now. Gonna change it at the end of the year. Legendary durability.

You want compact, get the micro h1 or t1. 4 or 2 moa dot.

Can't beat that.
And as much as people like a lower 1/3 co-witness, if you did an absolute co-witness with one of the micro Aimpoints, it would work in a real emergency as a ghost ring to get your rounds close if the battery failed.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
And as much as people like a lower 1/3 co-witness, if you did an absolute co-witness with one of the micro Aimpoints, it would work in a real emergency as a ghost ring to get your rounds close if the battery failed.
True but, if you had backup sights, couldn't, wouldn't you just use them?

I do see your point tho doc, with absolute cowitness, you could use the aimpoint as one big@ss peephole rear sight aperature. Maybe even preferable to using a standard rear sight if you have a super shorty pistol setup.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #9

Liked 1922 Times on 1147 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
True but, if you had backup sights, couldn't, wouldn't you just use them?

I do see your point tho doc, with absolute cowitness, you could use the aimpoint as one big@ss peephole rear sight aperature. Maybe even preferable to using a standard rear sight if you have a super shorty pistol setup.
Yes, the BUIS would be preferred. I saw a guy at a three gun match have his battery fail in a relay. It saved him a few seconds to not have to stop and flip up his rear sight. In that case it was about seconds and points. It would likely never be an issue, but IF the worst case happened at the worst time it might be important.

The irons sight would definitely give more precision. The method worked well enough inside 25 yds though.