Hunting AR's - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Hunting AR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps

Hi JustinM,

Want to hunt predators? Big choice of predators out there to be hunted. To give a better response, just what you aim, pun intended, to hunt will make some adjustments.

I will try to give some useful information.

Little beasts at some distance requires some very good shooting. Yet, many times, is performed from a fixed location. If this is your hunting type, go with a long/er heavy/bull barrel and a bi-pod. Weight is not a concern.

Quick, fast moving beasts that pop up and are gone are another problem to work with. Quicker motion is beneficial. Short/er lighter weight barrels help with this.

Stock types fall into two groups, fixed and collapsible. The fix is normally a little more rigid. Collapsible, more convenient and some/many are sturdy as well.

Chamberings are many. For your stated use, some may not suitable. I would offer that for a first AR, go with a conventional .223/5.56, the Wylde and similar are a good choice. Ammunition is plentiful and cheap(er).

For long/er ranges, look at the 6point8 and 6.5G. This doesn't imply that the .223/5.56 can't do 'it', for it does and in the right hands is excellent.

I currently am working with an AR in 300 AAC Blackout. It provides a greater diameter holes with excellent velocities to 150/175 yards or so. Not ideal for ground hogs at 450 yards. But ideal (my opinion) for wild hogs at the ranges I see them.

Optics? This is directly dependent on what and how far you expect to need/use your AR.

Barrel length adds or reduces velocities, longer for greater, shorter for less. Don't worry, the actual loss or gain per inch is not that great. Long barrels do give a longer sighting radius for iron sights, and this can give better accuracy. Scopes don't care.

No matter what you select, I think that home loads are better than boughten loads. If you don't, think about getting into reloading.

To the weapons.

The top displayed is a 16 inch with collapsible stock.

The lower displayed is a 20 inch with an A2 stock.

I'll carry the 16 incher all day with no complaints. The 20 inch heavy barrel get to be a pain, quick.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74842&stc=1&d=13556287 59
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74843&stc=1&d=13556287 59
Thanks for the advice! I really like both guns you posted. I like the back half of the first one an the front half of the bull barrel. I'm going to be using it for coyotes, bobcats, foxes, etc. I have a fox pro but still need a semi auto that can shoot a few hundred yards accurately and consistently. I use a savage .22-250 bolt action now. It works great but I've missed a couple doubles I should've got messing with the bolt.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

JustinM,

Don't forget that 20 inch barrels are generally 'Rifle Length Gas Systems - gas block location and buffer' and 16 inch barrels are normally 'Carbine or Mid-Length' gas systems.
The people in the know say that the shorter the gas system, the more ware. I have had all three and with comparable buffer/gas tubes can tell much if any difference. But then I don't shoot thousands of round each day. I seldom run over 3 to 5 hundred rounds down a barrel before I move on to my next toy.

As for the Wylde chamber, I have has several and no complaints. But then, I'm not a good gauge as I load all of my own for each weapon.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #13

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Great info, oldpapps!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #14

I've been researching and from what I've found, I can buy a complete AR pretty cheap. I may have looked in the wrong places but what is an average price range for a complete build. Leaning towards the cheaper side but not so cheap that I jeopardize quality. With all the AR ban talk prices may double lol. I might not be able to do anything before long.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

JustinM,

I have never bought a 'complete' AR/M4.

If you have a pair of long nose pliers, leather/plastic mallet, flat blade screw driver, some tape and can look at a step by step slide show/video, then you can put together your own 'lower'. This gives the 'builder' (I like that, it's more like tinker toys) a better understanding of just what is inside, can save some money and a true sense of accomplishment.

Putting together the upper is also not hard to do. But it does require some specialized tools. I have never broken over and bought them. I buy completed uppers.

Things to look at include: twist, true chamber and is the flash suppressor permanently attached (for those 14 plus barrels that must be made 16 inches). Pick you upper (barrel length and gas system length) before buying the buffer, to save money and time, they should match and this can be a problem.

I tend to favor 'flat tops' over the traditional 'handled' upper configuration. I see them as less problem to mount sights (irons or optics).

In today's environment, expect delays in filling your order/s.
If you don't have a dealer that you know, find one and befriend him. Talk over what you like/want. Patronize his services and the products he sells.

Look at on line places like: DSA, PSA, RockRiver and so many others.

Optics can quickly go to the extreme! I have a major problem paying more for a scope than I do for the rifle. And realistically, I'm not going to be doing night opps in some foreign land. Too much magnification make target acquisition slow at best and impossible for quick shots (that coyote that bobbed out of the brush for just a second or two).

The best of luck.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

RRA Predator Pursuit 20" SS
Nikon M-223 3-12x42 BDC 600

image-333635903.jpg

image-3228303829.jpg

RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII

Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishiggin29
RRA Predator Pursuit 20" SS
Nikon M-223 3-12x42 BDC 600
I like that a lot! The only thing that could make this gun look any better is a camo dip. What did it run you?

Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

1600 with the scope

RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII