hunting with a ar15, ear protection?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > hunting with a ar15, ear protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default hunting with a ar15, ear protection?

Curious as to what you guys that hunt with your AR's do for ear protection. My AR has a very loud flash hider on it, and .223 in general is loud. When i fire my gun you can feel the percussion hit your face, especially if you are standing to the side of it... When i first got it, i fired 3 shots without ear protection and had to take it back inside, i couldn't take the noise... my ears rang for the next couple hours... I'll never fire it again without ear protection...

Do you guys use ear plugs/muffs, and not hear the game, or what?

Also, any way to modify a 10 round mag to 5 rounds easily?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 AM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We have an Ar I have to wear muffs but u can still hear what u need to hear I keep them slid back on one ear just a tad then pull it forward when ready to shoot. I hope that helps

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Caldwell E-MAX Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 25dB) Green - MidwayUSA

I use a pair like this. They work amazingly well for an el cheapo pair of electronic muffs.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Caldwell E-MAX Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 25dB) Green - MidwayUSA

I use a pair like this. They work amazingly well for an el cheapo pair of electronic muffs.
For $ 32.00 with shipping included from Amazon, I picked up a pair of these to check out. After I couple pairs of bargain sets from Cabelas I gave up on the electronic ones.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

there are 5 round magazines available for AR's. the cabela's local to me stocks them. i dont use hearing protection when hunting. i dont find the sound of an AR outdoors loud. my first AR was a colt hbar that came with a dowel rod plug for each magazine to limit it to 5 shots in the twenty round mags for hunting. this was back in the mid 80's.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
there are 5 round magazines available for AR's. the cabela's local to me stocks them. i dont use hearing protection when hunting. i dont find the sound of an AR outdoors loud. my first AR was a colt hbar that came with a dowel rod plug for each magazine to limit it to 5 shots in the twenty round mags for hunting. this was back in the mid 80's.
Seriously? I have moderate hearing loss in both ears and to me, it's still way too loud.

But that's just me!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I use these when I go shooting or hunting.They work really well,you can turn up the volume and hear everything going on around you and as soon as a gun is fired they shut off and then come back on.
I bought my cousin a set for him to wear at his machine shop,and he loves them.

Shooting Accessories, Ear Protection, Stereo Hearing Protection, By Guide Gear at Sportsman's Guide

Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9161 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

ANY rifle with a muzzle break, I want my "ears". No MB or flash suppressor, I may hunt without, but if I am using 8mm, .30 cal, etc- I am usually hunting across a bean field. I could not HEAR a deer at that range unless he was playing the bagpipes. Foam plugs.

Dove hunting? Muffs.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #9

I think this is a real issue with the firearms community in general. I work in a loud building. The standard there is 30dB of protection minimum. To achieve this, foam plugs are almost exclusively required. Decibels are not linear, they are logarithmic. Add a three dB of protection and you gain nearly double.

The good news is, most foam type plugs are in the 30-ish dB range, yet they are dirt freaking cheap. A club or small group of shooters can throw in a round of drinks worth of money and buy a thousand pairs.

You only get one chance at protecting your hearing....

Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
ANY rifle with a muzzle break, I want my "ears". No MB or flash suppressor, I may hunt without, but if I am using 8mm, .30 cal, etc- I am usually hunting across a bean field. I could not HEAR a deer at that range unless he was playing the bagpipes. Foam plugs.

Dove hunting? Muffs.
Why, I tell ya, if I ever saw a deer playing the bagpipes.... well, I wouldn't shoot him.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields